• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I would only bother with the digital copy if you had an extra 3DS that you wanted to put things like digital copies on, because otherwise they get very consumptive and at risk of being lost due to corruption. I've only ever gotten a digital copy once, and it wasn't even something i'd really care to keep.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like having physical copies of games. The only game I have downloaded (excluding virtual console games, which I don't mind having since some old games are expensive as balls) is Pokemon Y and it was free. Wouldn't be too upset if that got corrupted and lost, though I'd lose my Fairy monotype...hm.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • The only digital copy of a retail game that I own (outside PC games) is PlayStation All-Stars on Vita, since I got it for free with my system. Otherwise, I pretty much ignore sales on PSN and the like, since I'd rather have a physical copy - even if it means paying a little extra or waiting for a store to have a sale.

TY

I only have Terraria and Metal Gear Rising as a digital copy for my PS3 since I couldn't find either of those games anywhere close to where I live... then there is PC gaming which is full of digital copies with also quite some exceptions

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I like having physical copies of games. The only game I have downloaded (excluding virtual console games, which I don't mind having since some old games are expensive as balls) is Pokemon Y and it was free. Wouldn't be too upset if that got corrupted and lost, though I'd lose my Fairy monotype...hm.

Same, I've bought a few VC games, and a couple of eShop / Wii Shop Channel games. But the only actual retail game I have digitally is the Wind Waker HD - it was my free game for buying Mario Kart 8

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • it was my free game fo buying Mario Kart 8

Gangsta.

I don't really prefer digital, except on PC. But even if I went to Gamestop or Target, there is barely a PC section anymore. Almost every store has shrunk their PC areas to a tiny little area, so it's almost impossible to buy games physically for PC anymore.

(Could you imagine buying all the games on a Steam sale and having the physical items show up to your house?)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Only digital game I have on my PS3 is Batman Arkham Asylum and it's only because of the recent(ish) sale

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2014
    The Number of R4 cards is overwhelming!!!!!

I hope this is the right category to post in...
    ANYWAY,
    I was looking to buy another r4 card.
    My last r4 only works up to the dsi xl or whatever was right before the 3ds. XD
    I have a 3ds xl now, and I wanted to get an r4 to put all my ds games on there instead.

What I want:
    UPDATES (I don't wanna buy another card if there's a 3ds update)
    RTS
    cheapness :D
    For it to work on all ds systems (ds lite, dsi, 3ds, etc)

Yea that's pretty much it.
    Also, where did you buy yours from? So overwhelming the number of places to buy and the different types of cards... o.O

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Etrian Odyssey IV is $15 on eshop. Might get that.

Having a big debate though whether to get Rune Factory 4 in Physical or Digital format cause $45 for a Physical copy is kinda excessive.

Well it's a Life Sim RPG that'll take a huge bite out of your time. I say go Digital. Buying that game physically is one of my bigger regrets. That and Theatrhythm.

Getting a digital full game on 3DS is something I usually recommend against.
    I think digital's best for handhelds. But if it's because of how Nintendo handles digital ownership, I agree.

---

Seems like this debate comes up every other day, with generally the same answers. Generally to the effect of "I can't trade in digital games" or "I can't see digital games on my shelf". But eh, I like both. Have a bunch of digital on my PS3, 360, Wii U, and Vita. And a boatload on my 3DS. Love 'em, because I like games. And it's rare that you get a good price for trading games in nowadays, so I just buy risky games cheap and games I know I want new or at a good price. But unless there's a real con to one over the other, like missing out on appealing LE stuff, discounts, etc., then I'm just going to go for the one that's most convenient (which varies from platform to platform and case to case).

The only time I really require phys specifically is when it's a game I want to own for the sake of owning it. Like an imported game, .hack//G.U. (which, nowadays, is expensive), Persona 4, or the like. But no used game cases. I sold my copy of the Last Story because I just didn't want to play it while it was in the crappy Gamestop box.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I like owning my 3DS games and most console games, but I've always enjoyed digital for PC. There's just not enough room for so much stuff and it's generally easier to buy those cheap, little games that way. PLUUUUS, you can't even put those games onto new system with the old physical copies. Now Steam lets you move them wherever.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Honestly, I prefer to go with both options when getting games nowadays. I like physical copies so I can trade them in at a pawn shop when I'm done with them but I've grown more fond of digital copies over time as well seeing how I tried to play numerous physical copies of Halo Reach until they kept acting up and I finally decided to get it online for less than 10 bucks during a marketplace deal. Provided they're cheap enough, I'll happily go for the online deals.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Honestly, I prefer to go with both options when getting games nowadays. I like physical copies so I can trade them in at a pawn shop when I'm done with them but I've grown more fond of digital copies over time as well seeing how I tried to play numerous physical copies of Halo Reach until they kept acting up and I finally decided to get it online for less than 10 bucks during a marketplace deal. Provided they're cheap enough, I'll happily go for the online deals.

Were you just actively scratching the discs of that game? I find it hard to through numerous copies of a game if you take good care of it (although my Black Ops shattered in my 360 after playing it for too long; it was literally one of the most bizarre moments when it came to gaming for me.)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Were you just actively scratching the discs of that game? I find it hard to through numerous copies of a game if you take good care of it (although my Black Ops shattered in my 360 after playing it for too long; it was literally one of the most bizarre moments when it came to gaming for me.)

No, it was most likely the result of playing the game too often back when I still had the physical copy. That, and the other copies that I got were used but seeing how strapped I was for cash back then, I couldn't be too picky at the time.

Something similar happened with a copy of Battlefield 4 that I got a while back. Great game but it ended up crashing at specific intervals to where it was impossible to play and I gave up on it for lack of a better term. I did some test runs while over at a friend's place too and they said that it's most likely my 360 itself that can't play it seeing that mine is an older model than the slim so I decided to give the copy of BF4 to my clan buddies instead to see if it would work on their models. I tried to find a way to get BF4 off of the Xbox Live Marketplace too but so far it hasn't shown up other than the DLC for it. Same thing with Diablo 3 when I tried to purchase it online and it only gave me the options to rate it or pin it to my home.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As for me, I personally prefer purchasing physical copies. They're damageable, but that happens only if you're not too careful, and handle them sort of vigorously. Me--I'm not like that. Whenever I get a hold of a CD or cartridge, I'd always find myself watching over how I touch them, where I store them, and so forth. Last time I've ever damaged any game was six years ago, but that was intentionally; not going to get into too much detail on that, haha.

Along with above, I'm also able to trade-in physical copy of games, and get credit so that I'd be able to save money on my next purchase. I'm not the type of person who likes collecting video games, unfortunately, so once I'm done with something and am sure that I would never play again, I'd immediately go into a store and sell.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • As a child I never took care of my games and they would get scratched up really badly, so I would have loved to have had digital copies of games. However now when I buy games I typically keep their cases instead of putting them in a book and throwing away the cases, so I actually keep my games in good condition. I like to have the physical copies because they're better to show off with. I can easily show people handfuls of game cases and it actually mean something to them whereas showing them a screen with a list of games on it doesn't really mean much.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I think digital's best for handhelds.
    You think? I on the contrary think that digital is best for PC or consoles because they have much bigger HDDs and don't usually require additional memory like handhelds.
    Plus, if your memory card crashes, it's lost, that isn't really case in Sony (and Microsoft probably?) but from what I've heard (feel free to correct me), Nintendo doesn't have the similar store and you cannot re-download the digital games you bought.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • You think? I on the contrary think that digital is best for PC or consoles because they have much bigger HDDs and don't usually require additional memory like handhelds.
    Plus, if your memory card crashes, it's lost, that isn't really case in Sony (and Microsoft probably?) but from what I've heard (feel free to correct me), Nintendo doesn't have the similar store and you cannot re-download the digital games you bought.
    The games are tied to the console for Nintendo, so you can redownload them. It's the console that you have to worry about.

And for the Vita memory's a problem, thanks to exorbitant prices for memory cards and larger game sizes. But for the 3DS, which uses SD cards (which you can get pretty cheap, I use a 32 gig), you can store a good number of games. I have around 10+ full digital games and 40+ eshop and VC games on there and I still have space to spare. And it's convenient because I don't have to carry my games around with me.

I like to have the physical copies because they're better to show off with. I can easily show people handfuls of game cases and it actually mean something to them whereas showing them a screen with a list of games on it doesn't really mean much.
    I dunno about that. You can get quite the reaction from how many digital games you have, as I learned just recently.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    When I made an ID for my Wii U that had my real name in it so I couldn't play with people from the internet they had no problem switching everything to another account. Well, it did take a manager, but I think a lot of people look at policies and think "this policy says X is forbidden therefore X never happens," when it really means "this policy says X is forbidden therefore I need a supervisor and a good case to make it happen."

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back