• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Your OS

• Microsoft Windows

Votes: 102 75.0%
  • Apple Mac OSX

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Linux

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Are you kidding? Windows ME was the best thing ever, I loved playing the Sims on it whenever I visited my nan and my cousin was there... Such good times.

Also, lol amateur OS hour
    hah, I had ME on my first PC. It wasn't as bad as everyone says. It was a damn sight better than 98 when it came to drivers and System Restore made its debut. Which is a very handy feature for an adventrous 7 year old that likes to screw with stuff.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Pssst, password protect your account, give the kid a restricted account.
    That's counter-productive. It might protect your PC, but at what cost? I learned much of what I know about Windows by breaking it repeatedly.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • Hey, I'm fairly certain a kid isn't going to break into his account if it's password protected and he has his own account with restrictions set to high, so he'll get as few viruses as possible. I don't see the counter productivity of that.

twocows

Years
  • Hey, I'm fairly certain a kid isn't going to break into his account if it's password protected and he has his own account with restrictions set to high, so he'll get as few viruses as possible. I don't see the counter productivity of that.
    Yeah, but he won't really learn much, either. You learn a lot from getting screwed over.

Years
  • This is assuming that the parent isn't very knowledgeable about computers. My father showed me how to do various things with Windows, but told me not to touch certain things so I didn't screw up his precious computer.

Years
  • Pssst, password protect your account, give the kid a restricted account.

We need some clarification. I was the 7 year old kid. Maybe I was 10... I don't know, but twocows is right. I've learned almost everything I know from screwing up and needing to fix it.

My parents had seperate computers, so any mistakes only effected me, pardon the pun. :D

I can't believe this - our school's not going to update to Win7 for a while. Yet they upgraded to Vista too soon, when it was buggy as hell. The computers came with 1 GB RAM so they hardly cope with Vista.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I'm running windows 7 at the moment. I use a virtual machine to boot up in to XP or Ubuntu from time to time.

Currently enjoying windows 7. A lot faster than vista.

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
  • i use vista home primium (prefer home basic), won't get windows 7 until i have to.computer.

Edit: i need to now how many pins a pentium 4 HT has, cause i need to get a new mother board. at the monent i am running 1.5GB DDR ram, and i need to run DDR2.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
  • i use vista home primium (prefer home basic), won't get windows 7 until i have to.computer.

Edit: i need to now how many pins a pentium 4 HT has, cause i need to get a new mother board. at the monent i am running 1.5GB DDR ram, and i need to run DDR2.
    Why would you prefer home basic? It's exactly the same, except that there are a few things Microsoft disabled in home basic (which would presumably make it worse, not better).

Anyway, Vista is pretty underrated. Just because an OS sucked at launch doesn't mean it sucks now, and my experience with Vista post-SP1 has been nothing but positive. The only reason I use XP now is for older hardware with nLite.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • hah, I had ME on my first PC. It wasn't as bad as everyone says. It was a damn sight better than 98 when it came to drivers and System Restore made its debut. Which is a very handy feature for an adventrous 7 year old that likes to screw with stuff.
    Despite my disgust with ME, I must admit its system restore feature was excellent for extending trial-periods. I managed to use one program for over a year and a half simply by using a system restore on it every 60 days. It was great - it reset your registries but didn't delete your files, so you still had your programs, they just said that you had "60 days until trial period expires" rather than "trial period expired. Please purchase".

Nowadays, for a recovery, you need to format your whole drive in the process. I guess Microsoft noticed some people were playing that trick XD

Last edited:

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    I have Tiny Windows XP on my computer. Did have Seven, didn't care for it.

Years
  • Once I've got around to updating to Ubuntu 9.10, I might try using Kubuntu. I've never had much experience with KDE and a lot fo people seem to prefer it.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • Jesus if I had a dollar for every time someone made a thread like this I'd have enough for some ice cream at a movie theatre, take that as you will.

Anyways, I'm running Mac and love it but I'm getting really tired of the incompatibility.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I'm using Windows on both of my computers. My desktop is running Windows XP Home edition while my Laptop is running Vista Home Premium.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    My lap top runs Windows Vista right now, although I'm planning to get Windows 7 once Dell finally contacts me about me free copy...

Back