• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Who will win?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Disagree Nuke. Here is the teams in with a chance of winning, in order.

1) Spain
    2) Germany
    3) Itlay
    4) Holland
    5) Brazil
    6) France
    7) Argentina
    8) England
    9) Portugal

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2012
    I'll be cheering on the USA, even though I know we will lose. I'm picking Spain to take home the title this year.

Years
  • Disagree Nuke. Here is the teams in with a chance of winning, in order.

1) Spain
    2) Germany
    3) Itlay
    4) Holland
    5) Brazil
    6) France
    7) Argentina
    8) England
    9) Portugal

Pretty similar minus Germany.

My order (for this world cup), regarding these teams, would be;

1) Holland
    2) France
    3) Italy
    4) Brazil
    5) Spain (Lower because of chance of bottling)
    6) Germany
    7) England
    8) Argentina (Above Germany & England on quality, but can't see it with Maradona in charge)
    9) Portugal

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Yeh Maradona is clueless. Can't believe Cambiasso and Zanetti didn't make the squad, absolute madness!

Years
  • Yeh Maradona is clueless. Can't believe Cambiasso and Zanetti didn't make the squad, absolute madness!

Knew about Cambiasso but Zanetti? Crazy.

I was going to say could be to do with age but Cambiasso is only 29.

Just had a look though it appears Zanetti is in the squad.

Made some odd selections though, considering the talent available there are a few unknown players and while I think it has to do with Abbondanzieri retiring the goalkeepers have 13 caps between the three of them.

Oh and he has picked 6 strikers.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Where did you look? Zanetti definitely didn't make the squad. The outrage at the time was unreal. I considered that he left them out due to doing the treble so they've had a long season, but he's taken Milito, it's bonkers lol

Years
  • hmm wikipedia had him as in the squad but yeah you're right by the looks of it.

Doesnt seem so ridiculous, 36 year old after a treble winning season.

Cambiasso could still manage though and his other selections are still bizarre.

Turns out Maradona has never played Cambiasso.

Ayselipera

I'm probably going to root for South Africa, France, England, Brazil, and possibly Italy. I'm not entirely sure who's good and who's not. I'm just automatically drawn to those countries. Plus the only time I watch soccer on TV is during the final World Cup game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    The likely teams are probably the teams in the poll minus South Africa, USA, Australia, Ivory coast and possibly even Portugal (don't know they could be in with a chance).

The big teams are France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Spain & Netherlands and I'd say we & Germany just fall a little off that class.

I think anyone who won outside those eight would be a surprise to everyone (though we'd be surprised if we won) except maybe Portugal as I said.
    I'm afraid I disagree with France and Argentina respectively due to Maradona and Domenech being awful managers

Years
  • I want England to win, but I just can't see past Spain at the moment. They have some of the best players in the world right now, and they know how to work as a team and have the experience to win, whilst England have only a few world class players and we don't play brilliantly as a team.

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
    Years
  • Netherlands, I believe. I just really like Oranje. Seen Van Persie's goals against Mexico? Madness. Oranje maybe aren't the best team, but I vote for them, they can win, hell yeah :D
    Spain are favorites, but...did you see yesterday match? Llorente saved situation in extra time. Maybe it wasn't so important match, but...Spain as world champion will be ok too ;)
    Italy or France - no. I hope that Italy no.
    England - yeah, if Rooney will play the same as in MU, it's possible.
    Argentina - yeah, lack of good defensive midfielders can be the problem. They can't win with only Messi in attack.
    Brazil - the same with Ronaldinho - I really do not like this decision since I like Roni, but Brazil always have problems like that, so maybe, maybe 6th star in shirts is on the way.
    Germany - If Joachim Loew team isn't worse than Klinnsman's 2006 team, Germans have some chanches.

Anyway, I vote for ORANJE ^^' As always, heart > real facts. I always type Netherlands for champions, since 2004 ;D

I would like to see some suprises also. Japan advancing from group is what Ober exactly want to see ;D Also Slovakia could play something cool, especially that they eliminated Poland in qualifications. African teams in african land will be tough rivals too.

Years
  • I'm afraid I disagree with France and Argentina respectively due to Maradona and Domenech being awful managers

They're still big teams as I said in later posts Argentina have much less chance this world cup because of Maradona.

Not too sure about Domenech but since Ireland might have stopped them qualifying if it weren't for Henry's hand, I'll agree.

Anyone catch the Japan friendly? I watched F1 instead as I thought it was a late kick-off.

Any players impress for us or any did bad and did Adam Johnson get some decent game time this time?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any. :D

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • How did I miss this thread? 0___0

And what? Walcott has been left out? Now where we will get our speed on the right-hand side? :<

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    How did I miss this thread? 0___0

And what? Walcott has been left out? Now where we will get our speed on the right-hand side? :<
    i may be an Arsenal fan and want Walcott to be in the squad, but I'll admit that Lennon has pace on the right hand side.

Years
  • How did I miss this thread? 0___0

He has the pace, but his crosses and finishing hasn't been what it was during qualifying :/
    You can't really place someone in the team that was good and hope he plays well.

i may be an Arsenal fan and want Walcott to be in the squad, but I'll admit that Lennon has pace on the right hand side.

Yah.

Just so you know, this is the England 23 man team.
    Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).
    Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).
    Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).
    Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

That is pretty much what I thought would be the team, so I am happy.

Years
  • I'm suprised to see that Shaun Wright Phillips got it. He was disappointing in the qualifying.

Indeed, but I think he is an, overall, stronger and more mature player than the others who were dropped.
    The only person I didn't expect to be dropped was Adam Johnson; he is a good player.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    Darren Bent was dropped. I thought he wouldn't make it, Heskey, Crouch and Defoe all have too much England experience for him.

Back