• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I've got myself a Mag cargo with a super high special attack, a really nice amount of health and decent defences. Here's my question.

Should I give him flamthower or fire blast? I can give him a wide lens to improve accuracy, but what's your opinion?

you should give it a zoom lens as it boosts the accuracy to 102% and it's pretty slow anyway so moving after the target should be no problem. I personally go with flamethrower because of the higher acuracy (I use a different hold item so I need accuracy) and more PP, but there's nothing inherantly wrong with either move

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • If I were to get a Vivillon off the GTS with say, a Garden pattern then breed one, would the egg have the Garden pattern as well?

Years
  • If I were to get a Vivillon off the GTS with say, a Garden pattern then breed one, would the egg have the Garden pattern as well?

Any Scatterbug obtained through breeding will always evolve into your region's pattern, regardless of what pattern the parent was. Since your region is Australia and that's River Pattern, any Scatterbug bred in your game will always evolve into River Pattern Vivillon. I know Australia has three different patterns, but any state that isn't NT or Tasmania gets River, while the two mentioned have Sun and Garden instead.

So even if you were to breed with say, a Garden Pattern the baby will still evolve into River Pattern since your region is River.

Edit: I got Greninja'd but at least you know now.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • If I were to change my DS's region settings and get a Scatterbug then change it back would that affect my DS?

Years
  • If I were to change my DS's region settings and get a Scatterbug then change it back would that affect my DS?

The region's pattern is locked in as soon as you start a save file. To get a different region pattern you need to change the region and then start a new save on another game when you have that region set.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • Hey guys I have some odd question, here it is :

Well I am beginning to build some 'mons for competitive. Not teams just Pokemon, to see how they can cover a battle individually.

I am rejecting anything that is not in OU, UU or RU according to Smogon, but I feel like I'm missing something. I battle only in random WiFi battles and I am not going to be the next Pokemon Master. I just would like to know if you can recommend some Pokemon from RU, NU, PU that show good skills in casual battles and in-game battles? Underlooked Pokemon that I should dig and enjoy?

Also I would like to know whether it's worth it to get 5-perfect-IVs Pokemon for my style of playing. Whether it's worth to get some support eggmoves. I mean, in-game (except in dedicated competitive battles vs. AI), the only thing to do is to sweep lower-level Pokemon and it works like a charm...
    Although some of my "perfect" Pokemon showed excellent results (Togekiss, Aegislash,...)

Thanks

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Shadow Tag failed

I just recently got a Kirlia Friend Safari and an Abra Friend Safari.

I read that the ability Shadow Tag prevents opponents from using Teleport. Well I have a Lv. 22 Wobbuffet with Shadow Tag.

I decided to test it out just in case and I'm glad I did. I started the battle with the Kirlia and used Safeguard, mainly stalling to see if Kirlia would use Teleport, it used Magical Leaf. Finally it used Teleport and teleported away.

It did have Trace and traced Shadow Tag at the beginning of the battle. But that's all it did. Does it not work if your Pokémon is lower leveled? No website says this affects it.

Edit: Just tried a second Kirlia and this time Teleport failed, what this tells me is Shadow Tag has a chance of failing....

Last edited:

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • I just recently got a Kirlia Friend Safari and an Abra Friend Safari.

I read that the ability Shadow Tag prevents opponents from using Teleport. Well I have a Lv. 22 Wobbuffet with Shadow Tag.

I decided to test it out just in case and I'm glad I did. I started the battle with the Kirlia and used Safeguard, mainly stalling to see if Kirlia would use Teleport, it used Magical Leaf. Finally it used Teleport and teleported away.

It did have Trace and traced Shadow Tag at the beginning of the battle. But that's all it did. Does it not work if your Pokémon is lower leveled? No website says this affects it.

Edit: Just tried a second Kirlia and this time Teleport failed, what this tells me is Shadow Tag has a chance of failing....

from Bulbapedia: "Shadow Tag now makes the Pokémon immune to the effects of other Pokémon's Shadow Tag."

chances are the second kirlia didn't have trace

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Can someone give me a suggestion for what to give my Hariyama? I cannot figure out a good hold item. I Know about Sitrus Berry, but I kind of want something new and different because my Unburden Slurpuff has Sitrus Berry and I don't want all my Belly Drum users to be exactly the same if I can help it.

Anyway, my Hariyama has Guts, and the moves Bullet Punch, Belly Drum, Facade and Cross Chop but I don't know what hold item to give it. I tried Metronome but it's so strong that anything it hits gets KOed anyway, I tried Shell Bell and even with OHKOing everything the healing is still way too minimal. I tried leftovers but every team I put Hariyama in already has another user with Leftovers and I can't use duplicate items, so can someone offer me a suggestion besides Sitrus Berry that would compliment my moveset? Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    My suggestion would be either Assault Vest or Choice Band, but unfortunately, they would require us to get rid of Belly Drum. Are we sure that we want to keep this move?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    My suggestion would be either Assault Vest or Choice Band, but unfortunately, they would require us to get rid of Belly Drum. Are we sure that we want to keep this move?

Absolutely because Belly Drum + Bullet Punch = Something I like very much! :D

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Flame Orb would be good since it has Guts and Facade, but it doesn't work well with Belly Drum so that's a no go.

The only other kind of alternatives I can think of if Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Shell Bell are not options are stuff like Figy/Wiki/Mago/etc Berries (pick the right one to avoid the confusion) that heal a bit of HP, or using one of the berries that reduces the damage of supereffective attacks once, to try and keep it alive longer since it's at 50% from Belly Drum.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    What Pokemon are shiny locked in Gen 6? I keep trying to find a list/masterlist but cannot find one so i thought I'd ask here.

Years
  • What Pokemon are shiny locked in Gen 6? I keep trying to find a list/masterlist but cannot find one so i thought I'd ask here.

Going to break it down by game here.

XY - Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
    ORAS - Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Deoxys

Also, note that ORAS has other legendaries catchable in-game but the four I mentioned are the only ones in that game that are shiny-locked. Latias and Latios can be shiny as well, but I'm assuming only the one that's obtained with the Eon Ticket.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Is there a way to find out if a pokemon can evolve without spoilers?

Last time I played pokemon was when original game boy came out. Many years and few generations later, and here I am, waiting for my new 3DS console and pokemon Y game to be delivered to my home.

I remember when I first played, I didn't know any pokemon, and it was always exciting, when one of them started to evolve and I didn't know how it would end up looking. Awesome feeling that I think many people didn't experience, because they spoiled it for themselves with guides, pokedex posters etc. That feeling of discovery that I think is the whole point of the game.

I only know first gen, everything else is a mystery for me. I would like to experience this again, but... I don't have as much time as I had back then, to figure out all the evolutions, especially when there are all these new kinds of evolutions I heard about. I just need a little boost. That info, which pokemon can evolve, so I won't spend time leveling ones I don't need. But I don't want to see how they look until it happens.

Is there a way to know a pokemon can evolve, without actually seeing the evolution form? Because every possible website with pokedex will just have images, which will ruin whole fun.

Is it possible? Sorry if the answer is obvious or the question is stupid, but you might say I am completely new to pokemon, since last time I played was 16 years ago :)

hoshizorashiro

Sylveon Lover ♡
    Years
  • You could always have someone tell you if/when a pokemon evolves at what level if you want to avoid images of the next form but yeah that sounds pretty impossible to avoid spoilers especially on the internet.

You might be able to find a list of all the current pokemon but that would end up spoiling the names and I'm not sure if you'd want to avoid that as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back