• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

yuuichi's pixel art

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
Years
  • i made a new sprite its a bird and ghost type
    https://img223.imageshack.us/i/birdenfront.png/
    yuuichi's pixel art

yuuichi's pixel art

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • Nice job on the orientation! You should look at some bird and ghost Pokemon sprites to study the shading, color choices, and body shape.
    what is orientation, the only bird and ghost i can think of is murkrow

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Orientation... the direction it's facing. It's much better than your older sprites. Look at Pokemon like Pidgey, Farfetchd, and Shuppet for reference.

Years
  • what is orientation, the only bird and ghost i can think of is murkrow

I think orientation is perspective... Me don't know...

Anyway, Chesu means look at ghost type Pokémon and flying type Pokémon, exaine what qualities they have, their style of shading (although it doesn't vary much from the general shading of Pokémon sprites), and the colours used, too. (It's Flying type, by the way, not Bird)

Do you ever use black in your sprites apart from for pupils? You should use it more in the outline. And please don't ake your own palettes if they turn out how they do. :\ Sorry, but it's best if, for now, you use official, Nintendo palettes.

I've done a bit of crit and things to improve in this sheet:
    yuuichi's pixel art

I really do hope I've helped you, Yuuichi. I can't say enough: LOOK AT NINTENDO SPRITES FOR HELP. It's SO helpful, honestly.

Edit: Dayam, Chesu posted in the time it took me to sayy all this shizzle. =P

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • I specifically said bird rather than flying for a reason; looking at Ledyba and Jumpluff wouldn't help you to make a bird. When I said "bird and ghost Pokemon", I was referring to body shape, not Pokemon type.

Years
  • I specifically said bird rather than flying for a reason; looking at Ledyba and Jumpluff wouldn't help you to make a bird.

Oh, I understand now. I thought you'd meant the bird type as in element. Sorry, I suck at understanding things. But yeah, Yuuichi (god, you're name's a pain to type), don't go looking at things like Gyarados, m'kay? =P

I think Wingull, Pidgey, Taillow, Starly, etc. are great examples... Maybe not so much Wingull, but you catch my drift...

Mclena45

Pkmn Trainer Allen
    Years
  • Thats a LOT better than the older ones... But, like everyone else said, try working on the shading that LITTLE bit more. Not too much, just try to find a nice spot on the image and stick with it for the rest of your sprites/scratches. ALSO, I recommend you try Splicing first. You may ask "Splicing takes NO skill", but thats if you copy and paste, recolor and save. Instead of doing that, try copying a part of the Pokemon you want, or the area around it and the part, erase the area around the part recolor and paste, OR for a better effect and more skill, flip it. Flip it then reshade it, recolor again then put it on.

But I do agree with what everyone has said, you shouldn't of jumped strait into scratch. I've been spriting for almost 2 years, and I'm only learning how to properly scratch certain parts of the body.

Don't stop spriting! Practice makes perfect!

PS: Try taking your older sprites and improving them. Don't restart, just open it up, copy the whole thing then paste it somewhere else, then edit it. Good luck!

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • Thats a LOT better than the older ones... But, like everyone else said, try working on the shading that LITTLE bit more. Not too much, just try to find a nice spot on the image and stick with it for the rest of your sprites/scratches. ALSO, I recommend you try Splicing first. You may ask "Splicing takes NO skill", but thats if you copy and paste, recolor and save. Instead of doing that, try copying a part of the Pokemon you want, or the area around it and the part, erase the area around the part recolor and paste, OR for a better effect and more skill, flip it. Flip it then reshade it, recolor again then put it on.

But I do agree with what everyone has said, you shouldn't of jumped strait into scratch. I've been spriting for almost 2 years, and I'm only learning how to properly scratch certain parts of the body.

Don't stop spriting! Practice makes perfect!

PS: Try taking your older sprites and improving them. Don't restart, just open it up, copy the whole thing then paste it somewhere else, then edit it. Good luck!
    actually i did start splicing first

Mclena45

Pkmn Trainer Allen
    Years

• actually i did start splicing first

Funny how you just replied to that, that's what everyone was talking about before. Say stuff like "Thanks" and "I'll work on that" or go into a nice argument... Not trying to be mean or anything but that's what everyone was talking about. You can say that too, but try saying Thanks and stuff too.

Years
  • Instead of keeping on making loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of different sprites, try onconcentrate on one, uno, 1, eins, un, ONE sprite. And please take in our advice. I still see no sign of black outlines. I felllike I wasted my time on that sheet I did up there. D<

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • Instead of keeping on making loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of different sprites, try onconcentrate on one, uno, 1, eins, un, ONE sprite. And please take in our advice. I still see no sign of black outlines. I felllike I wasted my time on that sheet I did up there. D<
    i am taking advice i just have no idea what i would use the black out line except when shading blends in with outline.

Mclena45

Pkmn Trainer Allen
    Years

• i am taking advice i just have no idea what i would use the black out line except when shading blends in with outline.

Look at other sprites, Pokemon sprites, not Metriod, not Mario, POKEMON. You will notice that there is Black outlines on them, even where the shading don't blend in. Again, try replying to the WHOLE message, not just the last one-two sentences. And since you're most likely to reply to the last sentence, I might as well put this last; take an old sprite of yours, open in it Photoshop or Paint, then edit it with the advice EVERYONE has given you, or people wont bother replying anymore.

Back