• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Settling a Not-So-Old Score!" Episode Discussion

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Here's where you can discuss Dawn's second shot at the contest scene in today's episode, "Settling a Not-So-Old Score!".

I'll talk later.

Daisuke33

The Ultimate Unreal Hero
    Years
  • Woot! First comment! Sorry lol, typing like I'm on youtube lol. Anyway this episode was literally one of the best so far! Did anyone notice the Johto Battle theme during Dawn's appeal and her fight with Jessie? Takes ya back. And the Hoenn theme played during the battle with kenny. Wow Dawn is really growing into her own coordinator, and that battle on the Whirlpool was awesome I had my eyes on the t.v the whole time hehe.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    it was awsome and wasn't Kenny giving clues that he liked her?

Example:
    Dawn:when did you became interested in Contests?
    Kenny: you just never noticed.
    Dawn: Huh?

it wasn't said exactly like that but that's how it went.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    The whirlpool face off was cool and Dawn had like barely won . And I think that Sukizo needs more words.

Siliva

Official Fanfic Writer
    Years
  • it was awsome and wasn't Kenny giving clues that he liked her?
    Oh boy. Another Ship...xD

In any case... this was one really good episode IMO. It felt a bit longer than most episodes usually do. The contest battles are great, and personally, contests are some of my favorite parts of the series.

Dawn's not that bad of a coordinator now.

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Wasn't on YouTube but I found it on Veoh. Comments!

- I thought that the Poffin was obvious. I guessed
    - Liked the BGM in this episode! I recognise the BGM when Pachirisu uses Sweet Kiss...but I can't remember it! My favourite Route BGM from D/P but I can't remmeber the Route. Regi BGM! But what was the BGM after it? And when the results were announced?
    - Overkill with the CGI hearts
    - I'm actually starting to hate Jessie. She seems more self-centered than usual. Poor James and Meowth...

The whirlpool face off was cool and Dawn had like barely won . And I think that Sukizo needs more words.

What's more remarkable than the word "remarkable"? Nothing! That's what! I hate him too...

it was awsome and wasn't Kenny giving clues that he liked her?

Example:
    Dawn:when did you became interested in Contests?
    Kenny: you just never noticed.
    Dawn: Huh?

it wasn't said exactly like that but that's how it went.

Yeah, and from the last episode when he blushed at her. And when Dawn asked if he thought she was pretty.

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    Wasn't on YouTube but I found it on Veoh. Comments!

- I thought that the Poffin was obvious. I guessed
    - Liked the BGM in this episode! I recognise the BGM when Pachirisu uses Sweet Kiss...but I can't remember it! My favourite Route BGM from D/P but I can't remmeber the Route. Regi BGM! But what was the BGM after it? And when the results were announced?
    - Overkill with the CGI hearts
    - I'm actually starting to hate Jessie. She seems more self-centered than usual. Poor James and Meowth...

What's more remarkable than the word "remarkable"? Nothing! That's what! I hate him too...

Yeah, and from the last episode when he blushed at her. And when Dawn asked if he thought she was pretty.

Link, please?

I really need to get around to seeing the new english eps.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • I kinda like this episode but there were things in this episode that I liked but hated too.

The poffin thing was so predictable. Teeheehee I kinda guess that but seeing the look on Pachirisu's face was just co CUTE!!!!! So worth it!!! I just love how Pachirisu's face lit up for that little pink poffin!!! SO CUTE!!!!!

I didn't like that fight between Jessie and Dawn. I like that they are finally placing spotlight on Jessie and expectually on Dustox but still the battle wasn't very filling. I mean seeing Dustox surviving that Bind attack was just great and what James and Meowth said totally tied in with what just happen. That really made me think that this was going to be a great battle and that Jessie wasn't going to go down without a good fight. Still I was kinda disappointed when the next move knocked out Dustox. Kinda a turn down but I guess this is hope that Jessie would grow over the time before the next contest. Teeheehee I kinda now rooting for Jessie now. Teeheehee

Dawn and Kenny. Good points in the battle. It was intresting how Whirlpool was made into a field instead of an attack. That little piplup can take a beating that for sure. Teeheehee Still the end result kinda made me feel down. I mean aftar all that battling I would have thought that Kenny had won the match but in the end Dawn won it. I kinda have to disagree. Dawn was good but she didn't out did Kenny and if they were going to make it where Dawn won then Dawn needed a bit more.

Still this episode made me relize something about Dawn. She isn't as confident as May was. I don't want sound like I am comparing Dawn to May, maybe I should compare her to Ash since he is the fellow hero but when you compare Dawn to Ash, she is lacking confidence. I guess that is a good thing to show that she does need to grow and I am sure that they will show that growth so I am looking forward to it a lot.

So second contest where Dawn wins. A good thing so I hope a lot from the next one.

GO JESSIE!!! Teeheehee

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I hated how Kenny had an Alakazam. That's rediculous. Obviously, he's just a beginner like Dawn. He may have had a few weeks/months ahead of her, but in essence, he's still a beginner. How the crap does he already have an Alakazam?

Other than that, I liked the episode.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    (...Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego DC??)

...Alright, let me start off with the predictable:

I have not seen the Japanese episodes, but I bet you that she pulls out one of those Poffins first thing next episode.

I KNEW IT!!!!!

Dawn's recovery wasn't too bad, actually, but I'm getting the sense again that she's a May-copy -.-...

Her battle against Jessie was crazy. Dustox is supposed to have more experience (regardless of if that experience is good) yet it still lost so badly. Piplup should have lost, and it would have if it weren't for that Bide...but oh well. Stupid dumb luck...

The last battle was almost as bad, but at least it was dealing with two novices...which reminds me: Dawn said in the last episode that Kenny had just started out a bit before her, right? If that's the case, then HOW IN THE WORLD DID HE ALREADY HAVE AN ALAKAZAM!!!!!!???????????? GRRAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

...Piplup vs. Prinplup...Obviously Piplup should have lost but, just like usual, the less-evolved Pokemon came out on top (Vermillion Gym, anyone?). Thus, Dawn gets her first ribbon.

Ugh.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • What I can't figure out: They had identical points up to the double bubblebeam at the end, but somehow PIPLUP got more points for his bubblebeam then the stronger PRINPLUP? >.>

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    What I can't figure out: They had identical points up to the double bubblebeam at the end, but somehow PIPLUP got more points for his bubblebeam then the stronger PRINPLUP? >.>

Piplup had more heart! ANIME LOGIC FTW!

@Ichaste: Kenny has an Alakazam because it's a stock rival Pokemon.

Years
  • (...Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego DC??)

Dawn's recovery wasn't too bad, actually, but I'm getting the sense again that she's a May-copy -.-...

Her battle against Jessie was crazy. Dustox is supposed to have more experience (regardless of if that experience is good) yet it still lost so badly. Piplup should have lost, and it would have if it weren't for that Bide...but oh well. Stupid dumb luck...

The last battle was almost as bad, but at least it was dealing with two novices...which reminds me: Dawn said in the last episode that Kenny had just started out a bit before her, right? If that's the case, then HOW IN THE WORLD DID HE ALREADY HAVE AN ALAKAZAM!!!!!!???????????? GRRAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

...Piplup vs. Prinplup...Obviously Piplup should have lost but, just like usual, the less-evolved Pokemon came out on top (Vermillion Gym, anyone?). Thus, Dawn gets her first ribbon.

Ugh.

I didn't see the episode, therefore, I can't do my usual complaining, man! Heh. And I didn't feel like getting up at that time. Shakes his cane in air.

Besides, you covered things nicely.

I'm getting the feeling that Alakazams are a dime a dozen anymore -- I felt that way after seeing Eusine's. And if Dawn is going to win by luck, like May, then I'm not going to bother watching her Contest segments anymore. I liked May's nervous tension, which helped to deal with the impossible physics. Here, I can't, not with my already stated issues with Dawn.

Dustox lost badly?! Come on, writers, at least, give Jessie the final round! Headdesk.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Dustox lost badly?! Come on, writers, at least, give Jessie the final round! Headdesk.

Yeppie!!!! I know!!! I was kinda hoping that they would have Dawn and Kenny battle out during the semifinals and then have Dawn and Jessie battle during the finals. Still I kinda agree with you and Ichi. This battle could have been a bit much better.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I didn't see the episode, therefore, I can't do my usual complaining, man! Heh. And I didn't feel like getting up at that time. Shakes his cane in air.

Besides, you covered things nicely.

I'm getting the feeling that Alakazams are a dime a dozen anymore -- I felt that way after seeing Eusine's. And if Dawn is going to win by luck, like May, then I'm not going to bother watching her Contest segments anymore. I liked May's nervous tension, which helped to deal with the impossible physics. Here, I can't, not with my already stated issues with Dawn.

Dustox lost badly?! Come on, writers, at least, give Jessie the final round! Headdesk.

Ah. *nods head, then waves nerdy Pokemon VCR in the air*

It's just that Kenny got it too early...Abra are supposed to be hard to raise, and even harder to catch. So, he shouldn't be able to have one yet...of course, it brings back up how the anime writers plan to explain the evolution :P...

It wasn't a complete loss, seeing as Dustox at least survived the "D-e-M" Bide...but then went down from a Peck >.<...

Back