• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Made Up Pokemon Tips

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I m working on my fanfic. However, I need some made-up Pokemon, do you have a tip at this?

Lmayonaise

constant pain in the ..
    Years
  • Yeah, research the design origins of the official Pokemon. For example; Empoleon is based on an Emperor Penguin, with its design origins referring to Neptune's Trident on its beak, indicating it being a royale Penguin, matching to its reference of being an Emperor Penguin. It wears a tuxedo also so it dignifies that it's a Pokemon of high constitution.

- Creativity is also important to make a Pokemon work.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Think it through as well - what do they look like, how they attack, how they act, and so forth - into details and all. If it relates to a 'real' animal or thing, look into that as well.

Not nesserary, but also, try to have the Pokemon 'original' - as in that the official Pokemon don't serve the same purpose as it, or the such. Or, try not to make a Pokemon that is too similar to other ones for the sake of it. For instance, for penguins, there is already Delibird and the Piplup line - so maybe try another one. Depends however.

If it doesn't actually need made up Pokemon, I kinda question it, but it does depend on the fic and all. I don't mind it if it's done properly, and there are some good fics with them, that use them well. Also depends on how far you use them (if the fic focuses on them, or not). I'd also advise looking at fics with Fakemon done well just to see - doesn't hurt.

Cobalt36

Ivy and Harley, quite a pair..
    Years
  • i agree completely. I won't doubt how hard it is, i'll be there soon for my fic, but try pre-evos, new evos that are believable enough to work, or creating entire new lines. If you do the latter, listen to Lmayonaise. Almost all Poke's have an animal brother, find one and make it work!

Erik Rockbell

Hero Of The People
    Years
  • I usually never make up my own pokemon, (except for a hybrid Eevee) but give them very unique personalities. so try that some time. (sorry I couldn't be of more help)

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Think of some absurdish animal, maybe use a mythological beast, and base it off that. Or, if all else fails, just look into your imagination. I once thought up a Pokemon that was bipedal, had three tails, a short horn, no mouth, and blades protruding from much of its body. It's as easy as that.

Back