• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone Here Take Martial Arts?

Saruboy

Closet pokemon fan
Years
Does anyonehere take martial arts, and if so, how long have you been doing it? It doesn't just have to be Eastern martial arts; if you take boxing, wrestling or a reality based one, mention it!! Also, what ones do you want to take?

I've been taking MuayThai for about 2 and a half years, and I recently started Brazilian Jiu-Jistu. If I have the time, I'd love to learn Krav Maga!!

Last edited:

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 17, 2011
I used to do Judo in Primary school, but jacked it in because I was bad lol I was doing it for self defence because I kept getting builled, so then Id have something to fight back with if needed, but this still gave people excuse to bully me :( lol

When they say its all about using your energy more than strength, its still technically impossible for a weak fellow to beat a well trained fellow who knows what to do :P

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
Years
When I was younger, I took American Tae Kwon Do for about five-six years, but took a several year break when my sister was born and the school was sold to a couple of scumbags. I tried Olympic Tae Kwon Do for a while about a year and a half ago, but the school didn't stay in a place I could feasibly go to on a daily basis.

It's a bit of a bummer -- TKD is a lot of fun. Good cardio, too. I remember just loving being on the demo team and the tournaments where you just saw tons of other people in every other direction. I really loved weapons; when I got a new routine right, it was just so great! I miss it.

Everyone in my nuclear family's done it at some point. There's five of us, four of us are at 1st degree, the youngest is a yellow belt (earned Olympic style), and my mom has an instructor-in-training rank back in the American style. It's sad to think about how much we've probably forgotten with disuse. ):

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
I did karate (Forgot which particular style) for 6 years and stopped when I hit Black Belt because I needed to do another 4 years before I'd be allowed to try for 2nd Dan.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 17, 2023
I've taken American Karate for the past few years. It's the only actual sport that I've ever had fun doing consistently. I was lucky enough to find a school where everyone will help each other on and off the mat, kind of like a giant family. But I have to brag a little bit here, because I'm still in shock that it happened. I got my black belt this past March. Hardest thing I have ever done!

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
Years
I've taken American Karate for the past few years. It's the only actual sport that I've ever had fun doing consistently. I was lucky enough to find a school where everyone will help each other on and off the mat, kind of like a giant family. But I have to brag a little bit here, because I'm still in shock that it happened. I got my black belt this past March. Hardest thing I have ever done!

Oh, that's a great environment to train in. Major congratulations to achieving your black belt! That's no small feat, you've a right to brag a bit!

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
I took karate when I was... ten, lol :( I quit after a while because I wasn't too fond of it. My karategi is still in my closet, and oddly enough, it still fits. o_o

I took this other martial arts class that my neighbor taught last year, although I forget what it was called. :x

B-Baller

My ballin' is br00tal
Years
I used to do taekwondo. Quit at brown belt because it just bored me.
It has taught me how to kill a man with my bare hands though...haha.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
Used to do karate, which I didn't stick with for very long. ^^;

Aside from that, nothing. Although I am a fan of martial arts flicks, no matter how bad the story and acting is. |3

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Yeah, I did karate with my cousins for about a year. One of my cousins broke is toe while jumping on a trampoline and quit the karate. After that, I proceeded to lose all enthusiasm for it and just gave up on it. The mentor was absolutely crazy as well. I was late one day and he refused to let me take part in the lesson. Yeah, I didn't like it that much.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
Years
Yeah, I did karate with my cousins for about a year. One of my cousins broke is toe while jumping on a trampoline and quit the karate. After that, I proceeded to lose all enthusiasm for it and just gave up on it. The mentor was absolutely crazy as well. I was late one day and he refused to let me take part in the lesson. Yeah, I didn't like it that much.
That's weird.. My 'mentor' - Master is really inspiring.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I must say I actually have no interest in most martial arts. So long as I have a pair of fists I can shove in someone's face I'm not bothered about how I do it.

Master Electrician

Pretty pretty lights
Years
I was involved in karate (traditional Shotokan, for the interested) for a good bit of high school. I had the fortune to go to a wonderful school with some of the best instructors I've ever met, rather than a belt factory. I'd tried some other styles/schools before that, never really found one that fit me.

Unfortunately, I got busy my Senior year and couldn't keep up with it. Then I moved away for college, and... Well, what happened gets obvious from there. I'm trying to find a school in the area, a friend and I both want to get back into the arts.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
Years
I tried taking a Karate course one year back when I was like, 12. It was umm...it was a complete failure, to put lightly. Our instructor didn't really know wtf he was doing, and just let us all beat the hell out of eachother the entire class :'D

Other than that, I've taken wresting for 2 years through my highschool, and just finished a summer class on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Back