• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meh, need ideas. Help a poor writer's-blocked girl, wont'cha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
Years
  • If you clicked this, thanks for coming *sigh*.

I have been wanting to do more one-shots lately, mostly about Pokemon with a slightly dark and mysterious side. Like my Darkness In My Heart fic but more mysterious. However, that thing called Writer's Block. And it's KILLING me.

Seriously.

*sighs again*

I definitely need some ideas.

One thing I find that always helps is writing a pickaxe story...but that won't help a one-shot. For me, at least.

Do you guys have any requests of one-shots I can do about your favorite Pokemon? It might help...I dunno. It helped before. I'm not so sure about now. xP

Thanx.

~Rati

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • A little trick I learned from a fic on SPPf: go through the Pokedex and pick a random Pokemon. If the Pokedex entry is interesting (Like how Banette's entry says its a cursed doll), write a short story about it.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • Hey, that's a good idea ^^ I'd done something like that but with a Shedinja called 'Lunar Hatred' a few years ago. That's a good idea.

I'm thinking of doing a really good PokeMorph story. *loves PokeMorph's* but I'm not sure what to do it about. It's slowly, SLOWLY coming to me...xP

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Ah, I don't know what to do to help you!
    When I end up in a situation like yours, often I am saved after a while when a picture pops up in my mind. It might be a character, it might be a situation, it might be some landscape or building or just something. And it starts to grow, somehow, and it builds a vague story around it. After that, all I have to do is to make the story sensible and interesting!

I don't think there is a way to get ideas out of thin air, so you really gotta just try something like Gummy mentioned. You can also go and watch some fan art galleries or deviantArt or something, I find looking at pictures helpful sometimes. And, the last resort in this would be reading other stories and fanfics and think "that could've gone differently" and "I would prefer if the character did this and not that" and "that's a good point, but I would have made it some other way". And then, trying not to copy or plagiate, you slowly come up with your own idea...

Actually, I have to mention that one-shot of yours, Darkness In My Heart, made me think of an idea that has nothing to do with your story, characters or setting at all! It involves a small child that has two novelists as parents and an older brother who's just as busy. I don't even know how is it possible to come up with such an idea after reading such a fanfic, but well, life is often amazing ;)

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • Haha, that's cool that DIMH inspired you to write something. I love it when people tell me that after they read my story, they went out and wrote a story of their own cuz it destroyed writer's block or whatever. Some people have said my stories inspired them. It makes me soooo happy.

I'm thinking of re-doing Lunar Hatred, a one-shot I wrote 3 years ago and only now Googled by accident...I read my forum posts from then and I can't believe how different I sound! It's always strange seeing what you did on one forum 3 years ago and then coming back and reading it after a long time...

So, yeah, I might do a series. Someone already took the Legendaries, though -.-; They're amazing, but I might do some that she didn't. I love writing the legendary's one shots because there is always a story behind them.

I actually have a Furiiza/Rugia story: http://www.mibba.com/story/_60521/Have-I-Crossed-the-Line/. If you want to read it. I started working on it a while ago and am trying to think of new chapters.

But yeah, I love doing one-shots. They're so fun to write.

^^

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    The 'Pokedex Method' that Gummy mentioned works pretty well. Another thing you can do is take a certain aspect of the Pokemon world that you never quite got and write a oneshot going into that. If you like Legendaries...how about retelling the currently-vague myth of Ho-oh and the Three Beasts? Or something based on the Cinnabar Lab reports on Mewtwo?

Or you could write something based on a theme, which is usually how I do dark oneshots. Here's a few basic ideas to base more philosophical stories around...

Life
    Death
    Change
    Free will
    Destiny
    Coming of age
    Innocence
    Trust
    Revenge
    Right and wrong
    Knowledge
    Strength
    Leadership
    Dignity
    Sacrifice

...and many others I can't even begin to name. Yet another way is to write a oneshot that alludes to a famous piece of literature.

Well, there's my treatise on inspiration. Like I need any more of THAT...o////o -drowns beneath ideas-

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I always end up reading. Thats where most of my writing styles, ideas etc. come from. I read, then sleep, then recall what I read then write. Simple really. Read I say.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • Well, the problem with that is that I already have a story like that with Eruri and Andi (you commented on it). I could try, but it might be too similar.

If any mod wants, they can lock this...it's not very productive xP

Otherwise, keep the ideas coming (not that there are many).

XD

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
  • how about a story of an Absol that comes and everyone hates but one trainer who tries to tell the city the problem but then gets exiled and is being chased by the police, Absol needs to look for something special, something along those lines.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back