• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts about One Piece and Shaman King

Sweet Speed

Smile...
Years
  • Today for my birthday I recieved One Piece and Shaman King Manga, I loved reading them and I got some good laughs from the Manga, however now I am thinking of going on and watching the Anime. I'm not sure about One Piece because it does feature a lot of episodes (300+ I think) but I'm thinking of watching Shaman King.

So guys, what are your thoughts on these two series? Have you seen it? I want to know if you recommend it or not and I also want to here your focuses and points about it (no spoilers though) I also want to know if you recommend those two series and which on you think is better. Thank you for giving me your information.

Years
  • One Piece is a great anime. Overall, it is a fun show with a cast of unique and colorful characters. In particular, Buggy the Clown is awesome. He is by far one of the greatest anime villains I have ever seen. He is very interesting and original. Furthermore, the battles are great and there is a lot of humor.

However, the 4Kids dub is awful. Avoid it at all costs. If you can, try to purchase the box-set Funimation released a few months ago. It keeps in everything that 4Kids centered out and you can even watch the show in Japanese with English subtitles.

I have never seen Shamen King, so I cannot comment on it.

God Magnus

青き戦士 - ゴッド マグナス
    Years
  • One Piece is the way to go! Shaman King foreva!!

I defiantly recommend One Piece. Although it starts out bad, the story progresses more and it gets better. The show has a lot of comedy in it so your entertained all the way. So like I said, it starts out okay but it WILL get better if you hang in there. And if you catch up to 300+ you have my props!

Shaman King is good too. I especially like the character designs. This series too will especially get better later on. If you've seen the first episode you MUST see till the end or you will die a horrible, painful death!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I think one piece is a good show.
    it starts out pretty bad, but gets much better as it progresses.
    The jokes are pretty good, but they kind of overdo it, especially in the serious moments.
    the arcs are pretty good, and they get much longer through the story.
    the subs are great, but i'd suggest the manga because it has a few extras.
    however, it really just goes completely away from the story sometimes, such as the water 7 arc.
    they just decided at the worst time, they would put a completely different story in.
    the only reason some people hate it so much is because of the 4kids dub, its terrible.

as for shaman king, its okay, but could do better.
    the story is good, but its a bit stupid how your guardian ghost(or whatever they are called) becomes your weapon or tool of destruction.
    the whole "evil twin, kill him" story just sounds a bit boring.
    the character designs are okay, but some look just too silly(morty).
    Yo is just too calm, and really isn't that realistic.
    for me, its okay, but could do better.

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • I'm not very informed about Shaman King. But One Piece is definately among one of my favorite Anime. About 1/5 of my summer was catching up in the One Piece episodes. It has the best background and character development I've ever seen. The action is very satisfying and the jokes are hilarious. So I would highly recommend you getting into One Piece.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Being a fan of both series, I must say that it is probably worth your time to at least watch some of both.

I watched the Shaman King anime first, and quite frankly, the ending pretty much sucks. But then again, so does the manga ending. But the anime actually has a conclusion. Or at least, a semblence of one. If you're going to watch Shaman King, be prepared for an open-ended finish. In general though, I really liked Shaman King, and the entire concept was really appealing to me. The art isn't exactly my favorite, especially in the anime, and seeing Amidamaru's hair in silver took me a really long time to get used to. x_X; But Romi Paku as Tao Ren is definitely plenty of fun, and so is HoroHoro. Lyserg is great too, and... well, it's just fun to see Lyserg's oversoul in actual movement. :x I would check it out, simply because it's not too shabby, and it's definitely shorter than One Piece.

I also recommend watching One Piece, but a forewarning: If you do, be prepared for random filler episodes here and there that may not make 100% sense, and also, don't be afraid of skipping those filler episodes. I watched every single episode, dragged myself through half of the Skypeia arc (which isn't a filler, but is still very, very long) and basically decided, "Whatever." And skipped the rest of the Skypeia arc. Why? Because the arc after Skypeia is amazing. Either way, you probably don't understand anything I'm saying.

Basically, if you like One Piece, you're awesome because you're not one of those baseless haters out there. (Well, some of the haters have base, but most hate it because everyone else does.) But I'm just letting you know now that it's verrrryyyyy long, and some of the arcs REALLY drag out. <_<;

They're both amazing though, so I recommend you watch both, if you get the time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2008
    I watched the Shaman King anime first, and quite frankly, the ending pretty much sucks. But then again, so does the manga ending. But the anime actually has a conclusion. Or at least, a semblence of one. If you're going to watch Shaman King, be prepared for an open-ended finish.

Actually the publisher, Shueisha, has officially announced that Shaman King will return as Shaman King Kanzen-Ban, or Perfect Edition(re-print of the entire series) which will include a never-before-seen true "ending." The final volume is expected to be released Spring 2009.

Meaning we'll finally have a proper conclusion to Shaman King.

As far as I know, the only reason the ending was so rushed and incomplete was because they were removing it from the magazine it was printed in(not enough readers I guess).

I'm so glad he's re-writing the ending, I really love this series.

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
  • Thank you everyone for your time. I've decided to watch One Piece First and then Shaman King if I have more time later.

Thanks again for you thoughts, a Moderator can close this now =P.

Back