• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is the DSI a ripoff?

dark charmander

Gaara...
Years
  • personaly i think the DSI is a bit of a ripoff for the people who just got a DS lite for christmas eg. my cuzin. i was wondering if there is much a difference in them exept the camera coz i was thinking about buying 1 when it comes out in europe

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • It's really up to what your needs are. The DSi isn't really much of a ripoff if you're actually planning on using all the extra features.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    If you dont already have a DS, you might aswell get the DSi, however I dont think there is any reason to buy it if you currently own a DS.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • It sort of is in a way because you can't play any gba games on it but other then that, you can take pictures with it and do other things that the DS lite doesn't have.

Years
  • Well, it all depends what you want to use your Nintendo DS / DSi for. Some of the new features of the DSi is it has a built in web browser, it has a sort of Virtual Console shop, I believe, and it has cameras, but the downside to it is that it doesn't play GBA games. It's all up to preference.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well sweetie, I don't consider it a ripoff. It's just the third interation of the DS, All of Nintendo's handhelds always have another random third iteration.

Game Boy => Game Boy Pocket => Game Boy Light

Game Boy Advance => Game Boy Advance SP => Game Boy Micro

DS => DS lite => DSi

I really consider the DSi more of a Game Boy Color since it had it's on library of games and had other features it's predecessors did not. (IR, and well, color. =p)

If you don't have a DS, then you might as well get a DSi if you don't mind not being able to play GBA games, sweetie.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    If the online store has exclusive games Im getting it and I have both of the previous DS systems already. It doesnt seem like a rip off to me. Just not meant for Pokemon gamers.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • To call the DSi a ripoff is basically calling the DSLite a ripoff, as there really was no need for it if you had a perfectly working DS. I've given my DS to my nephew and instead of buying a Lite, I'm going to buy the DSi (I don't have any GBA games anyway).

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • I think the DSi is a waste of money if you already have a DS, same goes with the DSlite. I've had my regular DS since December of 04 and it still does its job perfectly, I personally believe it's more durable than the more recent iterations also. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    DS Lite = Sales Gimmick (a lot of people already with DSs got a DS Lite).
    DSi = New console in the Nintendo handhelds line, so no, unless you're cynical enough to believe that sequels are always rip-offs of their prequels.

Years
    • Seen today
    I think the DSi is a waste of money if you already have a DS, same goes with the DSlite. I've had my regular DS since December of 04 and it still does its job perfectly, I personally believe it's more durable than the more recent iterations also. :P

I agree completely. Well said.

The only major differences I can see are sound quality, battery life, and of course the obvious changes like the cameras and power controls. Honestly, in all respect to Nintendo, I don't buy handhelds to take pictures with and I highly doubt that that's a priority of the majority of the people who play handheld systems. :| I mean, honestly, what could happen that you really need to take a picture of while you're playing a game? Want to capture your reaction to something in game or something?

To top the cake, I prefer the power switch compared to the button; it's tacky, ugly and overrated.

As per recreating anything like the DS, I think it's just what Cassino said in terms of a sales gimmick.

dark charmander

Gaara...
    Years
  • im hesitating about it now cause if i wanted it my mum would probubly say no but i could covince her but she might make me give up my ds lite then id only have my sp to play gb games so i might, might not

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • I'll probably end up buying the DSi.

It has WPA compatability [which is a plus, since the DS Lite does not], and internet access is also a plus. If I want to play GBA games, I'll just use my Lite.

Also, my bulky DS's battery is almost dead [not to mention the top screen is pretty much hanging off], and I can't find the charger, and I need a system so I can do trades on D/P.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Its not a rip-off, though if your a fan of Guitar Hero, dont buy it.

DSI is a copy basically of PSP. If you had the choice, go with PSP, though i might buy the DSI...

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years
  • Hmm, well, I guess it depends. I have a DSi, because I like collecting DS's, and the new features like the camera is an amusing gimmick, and the music feature is interesting too.

Many people bought the DS lite even though it really was very similar to the DS, the DSi is a bit more different, so I don't think it's a waste in my opinion.

~MasterMind~

⌊C u r i o s i t y ♫ ♥⌉
    Years
  • ._. it looks almost the same
    i really dont care much about it
    but yes it does seem like its a rip off

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • DSi is sort-of usless and not needed. A ripoff? Nah, I guess Nintendo just wants more money. Honestly, i dont plan on getting a DSi mainly due to the fact that I have a working (atm) DS Lite and getting a DSi would be pointless for me, along with the fact that I love Pokemon and couldn't live without the GBA Slot (I was annoyed when I found out the regular DS couldn't play GB and GBC games so...I even bought a new SP!)
    Even with the addition of a camera etc, losing the GBA slot is horrible! (Especially if you own GBA games and dont have a GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro, Gamecube w/gameboy Player.)

I wouldn't call it a rip off, if you love the new features and dont mind losing the GBA Port.

Back