• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Really sorry for the staff ...

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I feel like you are under a lot of pressure to fix rep. And I feel sorry for you to keep closing so many ROM Hacking threads in here.

So I propose a suggestion: what about renaming Community Questions and Feedback to Forum Issues, with rules drawn up for this here section? This is like the most spammed section of the board, when this is for serious discussions.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    You're forgetting that the most threads poster here come from newbies/noobs who don't bother reading the rules or looking around the forum first, right?

Community Questions & Feedback
    Need help with the forums or want to leave a suggestion? This is the place. Please read the FAQ before asking a question.
    Please use this forum only for things relating to PokéCommunity; it is not for help with Pokémon/games.

These are pretty much the rules, as well as having cop on and complying with the forumwide rules. Doing what you're suggesting looks pretty pointless to me.

But fair play to you for coming up with the idea!

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • What good will it do to rename a forum? I think members know pretty much what they've got to do in each forum and It's the staff's job to direct them in each forum.

Also, not the description of the forum:
    Need help with the forums or want to leave a suggestion? This is the place. Please read the FAQ before asking a question.
    Please use this forum only for things relating to PokéCommunity; it is not for help with Pokémon/games

I'm sure members with half a sense will be able to interpreit this just fine. About your point that this place is the most spammed, I don't think that's necessarily true. If you think about it, the Emulation forum also contains some SPAM, that's why the threads now require Moderator validation.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
  • He was just making a suggestion, i don't know why you have to be so rude to everyones ideas Jack.

In my suggestion, since this forum usually does get a LOT of rom topics, why not create a redirect to a topic that contains the most asked questions, maybe like a Q&A thread for rom hacking, just put it as a sticky and let it redirect. If they are that noobish they would possibly see that before making a topic.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • :( For the billionth time, Q&F really doesn't need rules. If people aren't even reading the bold note in the forum description, they aren't gonna bother with a rules thread.

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    :( For the billionth time, Q&F really doesn't need rules. If people aren't even reading the bold note in the forum description, they aren't gonna bother with a rules thread.
    Look around all the rules thread and note how many times someone's viewed it. You'll see very large number, in the thousands. ;)

I feel sorry that you have to exist Spey. I really do.

Your welcome to feel sorry for that we have to see your face everyday.

We don't need more threads about rep. Were well aware of the issue. Win for pointing out the obvious.
    Hello, where do I mention rep anywhere?
    I only feel sorry for the staff because they are under pressure to find a solution to rep.

Cherrim

Years
  • Look around all the rules thread and note how many times someone's viewed it. You'll see very large number, in the thousands. ;)
    ...listen I've been watching over this forum for like 6+ years. :( When I say people wouldn't pay any attention to a rules thread, they won't.

We used to have a FAQ sticky with all the commonly asked questions. They got threads anyway so we ditched it. A rules thread would be even less helpful and would end up the same way.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    [jq]Look around all the rules thread and note how many times someone's viewed it. You'll see very large number, in the thousands. ;)[/jq]Members: 132,140

Number of time the rules have been viewed: 54,165

Only about 41% of all members have read the rules according to that, of course that thread was made in 2007 so idk.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • [jq]Look around all the rules thread and note how many times someone's viewed it. You'll see very large number, in the thousands. ;)[/jq]Members: 132,140

Number of time the rules have been viewed: 54,165

Only about 41% of all members have read the rules according to that, of course that thread was made in 2007 so idk.

And even then, don't forget about the fact that there's people who will come back much later and view the rules. They're counted as views each time they load the page, even if they've already been through once, right? That and guests are counted as well. So, really, the percentage of members actually reading might just be much, much smaller.

dragoon944

Aspring Helper :)
    Years
  • Valentine and counterfit do have a point, not everyone reads the rules = rebels :P. I do when ever i join something i read the rules therefore i dont loose anything and i can see how much of the community follows the rules.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Valentine and counterfit do have a point, not everyone reads the rules = rebels :P.

I thought the point was that a not-so-big percentage of members (particularly new members, but members in general nonetheless) actually read the rules, rendering a set of rules in this forum as being a rather futile effort, especially given the fact that the basic rules are in the description of the forum. As in, the debate wasn't about the idea that people who read the rules actually consciously violate them. O_o I mean, it's cool that you've read the rules, but... ._.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The members who read the rules aside, I think that the name "Forum Issues" would attract more threads that don't belong here.

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    This thread is still within the bumping time, so here's my viewpoint.

Lately, the number of threads about ROM Hacks have been actually reduced a little bit but still has a number of them. Now, I know that Patchisou did say that renaming to Forum Issues would increase the number of pointless threads, but if you use a system like RelicNews (hope I'm not advertising here), then it's unlikely such threads will ever pop up :)

Here's a link to their Forum Issues section. Note this type of advertising is relevant to the subject in hand. Will check with an admin first.

EDIT: Checked with Erica, it's fine. So, this is the main Forum Issues section: https://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Now, they have two very important threads, one from the top admin, about how their forum runs and works (https://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4), and a very detailed and informative rules thread (https://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=91198). The two threads I've linked to have actually kept out all spammy threads, which is great for big forums, like PokeCommunity.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well an easy way to fix up reading stuff is having a hidden word somewhere in the board rules that people have to read to get and enter it; sort of like a second defense for validation... But even thatis not secure or anything

if everything ran fine we'd need no mods, maybe two... But since it doesn't, we have them lol.

Also, I agree with OP; thanks to the staff and sorry for problems with rep you've got to deal with.

Cherrim

Years
  • the main difference I see between there and here is that they only have a handful of sticky threads. We have... 5 in here, with a 6th if we DO want to add a general "how things work" sticky. If you have too many sticky threads, most noobs won't read them.

Factor in that our member base is much younger (and thus, sadly, much noobier) than that forum's and... I just don't think the setup would work on PC.

I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to putting a permanent notice at the top of Q&F with a redirect to the FAQ or something, though, having the same effect as the redirect they have as a subforum.

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    the main difference I see between there and here is that they only have a handful of sticky threads. We have... 5 in here, with a 6th if we DO want to add a general "how things work" sticky. If you have too many sticky threads, most noobs won't read them.

Factor in that our member base is much younger (and thus, sadly, much noobier) than that forum's and... I just don't think the setup would work on PC.

I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to putting a permanent notice at the top of Q&F with a redirect to the FAQ or something, though, having the same effect as the redirect they have as a subforum.

I can agree with you on most of your points Erica, although RelicNews does have alot of minors on there too as well.

I think the reason the have less stickies than PC does is because they don't have a permanent sticky for name changes, which although clogs the forum, makes it easier to see who wants a name change.

I think you might be better making a permanent redirect to either, the FAQ, the rules or both!

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I do remember David(or some other higher) saying that we are always going to be PC, and we're not going to be replicas of any other forum.

Not wanting to sound rude here, but I'm not wanting PC to become a replica of RelicNews. Just putting forth a suggestion that they use to keep down the spam.

Cherrim

Years
  • You can make a redirect, but actually consider how many people would actually read it enough not to spam, or even care about them enough.

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, but it's the truth.
    If we made it obnoxiously large enough, people would read it! :D

(Go into the Q&F forum or refresh this thread and you'll see what I mean... albeit very briefly before I turn it off. XD)

Back