• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genetics Question

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    If my dad and his dad have had moustaches, am I more likely to get a moustache than a beard?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    If my dad and his dad have had moustaches, am I more likely to get a moustache than a beard?

No. You will grow facial hair regardless. It's up to you weather you want to have a beard or a 'stash, or neither.

I'm pretty sure that's right anyway.
    Well, not every male grows facial hair. It is quite rare for one not to. However, it is impossible to say anything about billion's genetic make up unless he has to give more details. However, more than likely he will grow facial hair which he can then shave into a mustache.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • If my dad and his dad have had moustaches, am I more likely to get a moustache than a beard?
    Well actually, it's more common to get a moustache than a beard. From what I've heard anyways. So I guess it could be safe to assume that you're going to get a stache. Why are you worrying about it any way? You can just shave it off.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    no no you got me all wrong, it's not that I don't want it, it's that I'm just curious and by the way, what age will it start to grow cause I'm 16 and it's still just a bit of fur.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    no no you got me all wrong, it's not that I don't want it, it's that I'm just curious and by the way, what age will it start to grow cause I'm 16 and it's still just a bit of fur.
    Well, shaving will help thicken the fur. Eventually more hair will begin to grow at a faster rate.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • I heard that was a myth. 0_o
    No that's actually how it works. Its like your hair. When you cut it not only do the roots strengthen but it grows a tiny bit longer. Like for me I started shaving from June. After the 3rd shave which was 2-3 days ago not only is it growing faster but when it does get shaven my mouchstache is also showing a bit darker. The stubble I mean. So just let it go by its natural course of shaving I say and everything will go fine.

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
  • If they shave it that way, then it doesn't matter. But if they can't grow a beard, and can only grow mustache, then odds are, you will be the same way. But that's the fun part about genetics, the other side comes into play too. Look at the males on your mother's side too.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    Well, shaving will help thicken the fur. Eventually more hair will begin to grow at a faster rate.

Umm actually, it doesn't, what happens is that when you shave you are cutting off the tips of your hair and leaving the thick roots. When the thick roots come out, they are thick and flat which gives the appearance of more/faster rate but it's still the same. You wait a few weeks and it goes back to normal.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • Nobody could tell you if you would for sure because we don't know your mother and father's genetics. And I can't find any information on the allele for mustaches either.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    You wait a few weeks and it goes back to normal.
    Really? That's strange, seeing as how I haven't shaved for 3 months and it hasn't gone back to what you call normal.

Next time you ask for help, don't shun people for trying to give you advice. :| Makes people loose respect.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • It's a high percentage for you to have thick moustache if your father and grandad have one. Unless your mother's gene(I mean your mother's genetic family, if theirs have thin moustache) got really mixed up with your dad's, then you might end up having an unnoticeable moustache. But I guaranty you that if yours shows up, shave it always. It'll grow faster and thicker(If you want one! lolz).

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • No that's actually how it works. Its like your hair. When you cut it not only do the roots strengthen but it grows a tiny bit longer.

Yeah, it does. I've been shaving for a few years now (within the past half a year or so, I've started to have to everyday) and it only takes me two days or so of not shaving to grow somewhat of a beard.

You probably will get facial hair, though. It's no big deal if you're worrying about it.

Her

Years
    • Seen today

did your mother

Genetics will tell in time, but you probably will grow a mustache, regardless of if your ancestors did.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I loled.

But anyways, I would think that it still takes time before you can grow a full beard or 'stache. How many 16 year olds do you see with beards? Not many. My facial hair still seems to grow unevenly, and I don't really shave regularly, but I'm only 15 so I just assumed I wasn't old enough.

You also inherit stuff from your mother's side of the family

I think facial hair would be a sex-linked gene, so it would only be passed down through your father's side. I dunno, I just learned about genetics last year in Biology. :/

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • I loled.

But anyways, I would think that it still takes time before you can grow a full beard or 'stache. How many 16 year olds do you see with beards? Not many. My facial hair still seems to grow unevenly, and I don't really shave regularly, but I'm only 15 so I just assumed I wasn't old enough.

I think facial hair would be a sex-linked gene, so it would only be passed down through your father's side. I dunno, I just learned about genetics last year in Biology. :/

About the only thing that i found out about the genes for facial hair online is that it's expressed differently in each gender, not eliminated.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    Really? That's strange, seeing as how I haven't shaved for 3 months and it hasn't gone back to what you call normal.

Next time you ask for help, don't shun people for trying to give you advice. :| Makes people loose respect.

I'm not shunning people for giving me advice, I'm correcting them. I wasn't putting them down, I'm just clearing up a common misconception.

I'm sorry if I shunned or disrespected anyone for what I said. I had no intention for that.

That's what I'm thinking as well but I hear that's the mother's side also greatly effects your genetic makeup

My father said my mother's father and her side of the family has little to no moustaches.

Last edited:
    Back