• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever had to explain pokemon to anyone?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • A pokemon fan had to do this in some point of their life. I remember when I was 6 I was telling my dad about Ash and his pikachu and how he had to collect 8 badges.

To this day he still doesnt understand pokemon. And whats funny is that he pronounces it "pokemans" xDDD

Ayselipera

Hahaha! My dad calls it "pokemans" too. :D

While I don't remember ever explaining pokemon to anyone, I'm positive I did at some point. I was obsessed with pokemon when I was very young so I'm sure I told everyone who was willing to listen.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Nope, never have. Mostly because I kept it to myself when I was younger, and nowadays most of my buddies have at least memories of playing the first or second gen games back in the day.

Yeah, my parents call it "pokeymans" too. They know that it involves Pikachu, and I think that's about as far as they want to know :P

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • My Dad is quite awesome as he used to sit and watch the Anime with me in the mornings before school, so he knows all about Pokémon. My Mum, on the other hand, doesn't have a clue and she gets explanations whether she likes it or not. XD Although I did have to explain why I was so excited about finally reaching the Hoenn Battle Frontier the other day to Dad and he just looked non-plussed. x3

But if anybody asks me what it is in the future, I'm going to go with the "Charles Darwin meets Cockfighting" explanation. :3

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I had to explain it to my Dad he calls it Pokeemon man its so annoying i had to explain how to play the game to my brother when he was 9 years old aswell -_-'

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I think I explained it before, but I can't remember to who. XD

My Aunt calls it Pokeymanz just to irk me; she knows how it's really pronounced. I told her damn near 50 times. XD​

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I haven't actually had to explain the concept to anyone, but I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct my mom's pronunciation of it. I don't understand, especially in its popular days when it was spelled out and announced everywhere, how one can mis-say POKEMON. There is clearly an "o" between the "m" and the "n." >:0

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    But if anybody asks me what it is in the future, I'm going to go with the "Charles Darwin meets Cockfighting" explanation. :3

Hahaha! Now that I think about it, that pretty much summarizes Pokemon.

I don't recall ever having to explain Pokemon to anyone, except maybe my mom. But she caught on pretty fast and understood when I said, "I hate Whitney and her dumb Miltank!" or, "I can't eat right now! I'm in the middle of a battle!"

My dad is the one who introduced me to Pokemon (he loves video games as well, and he knew the series thanks to a few of his coworkers who suggested Pokemon Silver as a Christmas present for me) so he understood pretty much all of it. He's also quite awesome because he watched the movies with me. : P

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
    Years
  • Oh... dear goodness... I recall I used to explain Pokemon to a teacher of mine when I was little. I recall it was probably in the G/S/C generation, as I recall explaining the Dark & Steel types and drawing an Unown on the chalkboard.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • Nope, my parents know about Pokemon (And they pronounce it properly) seeing as I'm constantly buying whatever PKMN Games I can get my hands on.
    Although my mum did somehow mistake Nausicaa for Pokemon whilst I was watching it on TV....until I corrected her.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Besides the obvious parents, I really never had much explaining to do about Pokémon. There was once some friends who wanted to get into it at one time, which I explained the basic concept of it (anime and games). After awhile they went out and bought their first game, Emerald, and pretty much enjoyed it after then. Since then, no further explanation about Pokémon has come out of my mouth.

Verkaufer

bis zum bitteren ende
    Years
  • I remember having to explain why I wanted to go see the first 3 Pokemon movies in theaters as a kid. Now my dad jokes about it all the time, haha.

Adri-chan

What the fruit?
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 28, 2012
    Well...I mentioned it to my father once. I was angry because he said he didn't understand why I like it. I just explained the basics to him, about the anime and the games themselves. I thought it was simple, but he still doesn't get the gist of what I said to him.

He's smart in his own way, I suppose. Just not when it comes to Pokemon.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
  • When I was younger, I explained Pokemon to everyone as my gameboy travelled with me everywhere. My mum went to see all the movies with my sister and I and she knows all of the first generation Pokemon. :D My dad knows Ash and Pikachu, but that's about it.

I'm sure my mates find my obsession with Pokemon odd but one of my friends was willing to learn how to play the games so I put her on my old Silver cartridge but that didn't really go anywhere..

Pokegirl98

Just an Average Fangirl
    Years
  • Hahaha! My dad calls it "pokemans" too. :D

While I don't remember ever explaining pokemon to anyone, I'm positive I did at some point. I was obsessed with pokemon when I was very young so I'm sure I told everyone who was willing to listen.

Yeah my dad calls it "pokemans" too. yes i tryed to explain it to my mom when she decided to watch me play for a while. That was NOT fun.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Because I'm the most highly ranked player(thanks to this site) in my class, I sometimes explain on how can you train pokemon, catch rarities and some battle strategies. But I never ever explained to anyone about the anime(maybe my little bro back then...)

Loled at "pokemans".

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I had to explain what Pokemon was and the basics of it to my relatives and parents. Either they didn't understand/comprehend what I was saying, or they chose not to listen at all. Oh well, at least my friends know what it is.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I explained it to one of my former best friends in 5th grade, but he still hated it even after explaining the games (He apparently only hated it for the anime, not really giving the games a chance).

My parents know the basics in the anime, but the games I haven't explained.. they probably think it's a lot like the anime.

I normally don't talk about Pokemon irl anyway, so I don't think I explained it much past those two.

Back