• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone else think that dark is an overpowered attack type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGenius

Banned
Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    Dark is an extremely powerful attack type. It has all the strengths Ghost has, and it is able to hit normal Pokemon too! It does double damage against some powerful Pokemon like Giratina, Gengar and Dusknoir, who are Ghost types. In my opinion, Nintendo should tone down Dark moves! Anyone else agree?

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Gengar is Ghost/Poison type, fyi.

Dark isn't really overpowered. It get's defeated easily by fighting and bug types. The strongest Dark Move is Crunch, I believe and it's only got 80 base power.

MrGenius

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    Um... I never said Gengar is Ghost and Psychic. Also, I'm pretty sure Dark Pulse is as strong as Crunch is, so you're wrong there too. And the fact that the strongest Dark moves are only 80 base power just goes to show how strong Dark is! My uncle works at Nintendo, and he told me that they made Dark moves weak on purpose because it was such a good type!

Last edited:

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Um... Gengar is Ghost and Psychic. My Pokemon card says that he's Psychic. Also, I'm pretty sure Dark Pulse is as strong as Crunch is, so you're wrong there too. And the fact that the strongest Dark moves are only 80 base power just goes to show how strong Dark is! My uncle works at Nintendo, and he told me that they made Dark moves weak on purpose because it was such a good type!

I lol'ed.
    Dark isn't really that strong, since it's only good again ghost and psychic. That's it. But turning down any dark type attacks would bump us back to gen 2.

Years
  • Gengar is Ghost/Poison in the games o-o;. And I don't find them overpowered at all. I guess it's strong against ghost and psychics but how is that overpowered? Each types have their strengths and weaknesses. I guess Ice moves are overpowered as well cause it can take out a Rayquaza?

MrGenius

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    Wow all these people denying a basic fact, that I never said that Gengar is Ghost and Psychic. I'd like to see some proof that I said that Gengar is part Psychic, or else you can stop saying that nonsense please. Also, ice attacks being able to take out Rayquaza doesn't mean their overpowered. Rayquaza is nowhere near as strong as Gengar or Giratina.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kay nice troll? Just google it o-o I'd link you but I haven't reached 15 posts yet. Besides Ice types also hit Giratina for 2x damage same as Dark types. Except I'm pretty sure Ice attacks have much higher base damage than Dark type moves.

MrGenius

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    I never said Gengar was Ghost and Psychic! Why do people keep acting like I said that! Also, I wasn't being literal when I said that Dark-type moves were overpowered. I was being metaphorical, because EVERYONE knows that Ice-type moves are stronger. I was using an analogy about how special moves tend to be stronger than physical moves, because they're better against legendary Pokemon. If you had just READ MY POSTS, you would have gotten that.

Years
  • Okay there Mr.Genius ^o^ *pats head and looks at all the edited posts. I like dark types too.

MrGenius

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    What do you mean, "pats head"! You're acting like I'm inferior to you after I squashed all your arguments. How terribly droll and pathetic to see you try to condescend me. I guess you just couldn't think of any way to argue against me.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Moving this to Pokemon General since it doesn't specifically pertain to DPP \o/

*moves*

Also, we don't have to argue with each other, it's just a simple opinion ;-;

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I think Dark type is just a wee bit. I'd like to see it's weakness against bug-types removed to have a weakness against a new type, light. Also, maybe ghost should be effective against fighting type?

Psychic is so underrated now considering that the only two weaknesses are to poison, which is never used since it's only effective against grass, and fighting. I propose a light type that would be weak against psychic-type attacks.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Wow all these people denying a basic fact, that I never said that Gengar is Ghost and Psychic. I'd like to see some proof that I said that Gengar is part Psychic, or else you can stop saying that nonsense please. Also, ice attacks being able to take out Rayquaza doesn't mean their overpowered. Rayquaza is nowhere near as strong as Gengar or Giratina.
    Because you went back and edited all your posts after you were corrected.
    And rayquaza is WAAAAY stronger than gengar.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I like how this thread was meant to be to discuss the dominant dark type, but instead became an argument that the OP said Gengar was part Psychic and denies that he said it.

MrGenius

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    I like how this thread was meant to be to discuss the dominant dark type, but instead became an argument that the OP said Gengar was part Psychic and denies that he said it.

"I liked competition too. But I wanted to design a game that involved interactive communication. Remember, there was no Internet then."

Straight out of the mouth of Satoshi Tajiri. Pwned.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    "I liked competition too. But I wanted to design a game that involved interactive communication. Remember, there was no Internet then."

Straight out of the mouth of Satoshi Tajiri. Pwned.
    What does him saying he wanted to connect people via games have to do with you denying that you said gengar was part psychic? And that gengar was stronger than rayquaza(which he isnt)?
    Btw, rayquaza's stats vs gengar's:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rayquaza_(Pokémon)#Base_stats
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gengar_(Pokémon)#Base_stats

MrGenius

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    What does him saying he wanted to connect people via games have to do with you denying that you said gengar was part psychic? And that gengar was stronger than rayquaza(which he isnt)?

Lol, now your just being dumb. Just because some of Rayquaza's stats are higher doesn't mean he's better. Gengar's speed is higher, and speed is very important to attackers like Gengar and Rayquaza. What does that tell you? Like I said, my uncle works for Nintendo, so I'm pretty sure I know a lot more about Pokemon than you do.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    All types have double weaknesses, not just Giratina, Gengar and Dusknoir. Some even have quadruple weaknesses.
    I never really saw the point in Dark types, it's nearly the exact same thing as ghost.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Lol, now you're just being dumb. Just because some of Rayquaza's stats are higher doesn't mean he's better. Gengar's speed is higher, and speed is very important to attackers like Gengar and Rayquaza. What does that tell you? Like I said, my uncle works for Nintendo, so I'm pretty sure I know a lot more about Pokemon than you do.
    Fixed.
    And wouldn't attack be more important to an attacker?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Because a Technitop w/Mach Punch is totally not a good dark type killer.

Dark Type attacks are resisted by fighting types, and fighting >> dark so its not that over powered. if you have problems with it, stop fighting Dark-Types with pokemon that are pursuit bait.

And wouldn't attack be more important to an attacker?

Also, speed >> attack.

If you have base 200 attack, but base 20 speed, its going to be a terrible 'mon.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back