• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meatless Monday

Do you support the 'Meatless Monday' Law?

• NO! >/

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Yes, it's not that bad

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Yes, people shouldn't eat meat in the first place

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other (Pleas Comment)

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

CT_400

Turtle Lover
Years
Today in my Animal Science class, we were told that Massachusetts is trying to pass a law that will BAN THE SALE OF MEAT from Restaurants on Mondays ONLY to help the environment

Below are links to articles dealing with this possible 'Meatless Law' (THIS IS REAL) :

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/meatless-monday-in-the-media/

Articles/Blogs that DO NOT support the law

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/02/12/mandatory-%E2%80%9Cvegan-mondays%E2%80%9D/

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/12/cambridge-plans-taxes-veganism-climate-change/

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/secondhandsmoke/2010/02/12/global-warming-hysteria-cambridge-ma-goes-loony/

http://forums.pressdemocrat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7111054036/m/5331064769

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=5541

Articles/Blogs that SUPPORT the law (Provide me with those and I'll happily post it)

http://www.insidetoronto.com/community/health/article/71620--animal-agriculture-plants-heaviest-carbon-footprint-tva

http://www.goveg.com/environment-globalWarming.asp

What do you think?

Should there be a Ban on Selling Meat in Restaurants every Monday?

Is this a pointless law?

Do you even care?

Why or why not?

Here is my opinion:

I think this is a stupid law the Cambridge Climate Congress is trying to pass. Vegetarians are slowly trying to FORCE meat eaters to eat veggies.

Sure we can still buy meat in grocery stores on Sunday and eat it at home, but why should we be FORCED to do so?

Vegetarians call meat eaters 'heartless' and 'supporting animal cruelty', but look at what they're trying to do.

You don't see meat eaters trying to pass a law that banns people from buying veggies at a restaurant.

I know, I know, this isn't my state, but who's to say that if this law gets passed, that it won't be forced in my state too?

And for the record, there is already a 'Meatless Day', it's called LENT

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
What do you think?
That's stupid. :/ They act as if we aren't supposed to eat meat, that it's unnatural. No, stupid people. Also, that will never get passed.

and..

1. What is so special about Monday? Nothing. There is no point for it being on Monday.
2. More people eat meat than people who don't. Therefore, it wont get passed.

Two questions after the first can be answered by the first..

Do you even care?
Not really. I live in Ohio.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
What do you think?
It's a stupid concept. If you want to help the environment, take down some smokestacks and plant trees and make parks.

No. Since when should governments tell people what they can and can't eat? Not even China does that, as far as I know.

Is this a pointless law?
It isn't pointless, but it is painfully ignorant, especially considering that there are much better methods.

Do you even care?
Not really, since I know this law won't be passed. Only the stupidest vegan will try to force someone to not eat meat.
And I don't live in Massachusetts, although I would really like to.

Why or why not?
Because everyone with brain cells will not vote for it?

Hmm, seems awfully OVP-ish. :/

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
Good :3 I don't care, I just would love to see people get up in arms about it.

If you watch Food, Inc (documentary) you'll realize what you're eating is disgusting anyways. I'm no vegetarian, but I can see the benefits.

CT_400

Turtle Lover
Years
Why or why not?
Because everyone with brain cells will not vote for it?

Hmm, seems awfully OVP-ish. :/

Haha, you'd be suprised!

My Ag Professor says that it will pass because that state has people from Harvard. Which means these people aren't stupid: They know how to bend and mold other people's thinkings.

That, and if they get a popular Celebraty on their side, then that state is screwed D:

Good :3 I don't care, I just would love to see people get up in arms about it.

If you watch Food, Inc (documentary) you'll realize what you're eating is disgusting anyways. I'm no vegetarian, but I can see the benefits.

Is that so?

Would you have a different perspective if this law was trying to be passed in YOUR area?

Meat isn't disgusting, it's healty for people because it has protein and other minerals that we need in our diet :D

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Haha, you'd be suprised!

My Ag Professor says that it will pass because that state has people from Harvard. Which means these people aren't stupid: They know how to bend and mold other people's thinkings.

That, and if they get a popular Celebraty on their side, then that state is screwed D:
But even then, prohibition does nothing. If they want to change peoples minds, they shouldn't prohibit an extremely popular item. They should change their minds.
And Massachusetts isn't the dumbest of the states, so I don't think a celebrity will sway them all that much.

CT_400

Turtle Lover
Years
But even then, prohibition does nothing. If they want to change peoples minds, they shouldn't prohibit an extremely popular item. They should change their minds.
And Massachusetts isn't the dumbest of the states, so I don't think a celebrity will sway them all that much.

I agree :D

But, the fact of the matter is that those people in Congress have extremely smart individuals who can make laws if they have the right support.

PETA and GREENPEACE for example have celebrities that support them, thus giving them the finanical power to sway a lot of people to support this law. They do this by showing gruesome video of slaughter houses and so on in commercials.

These movies are extremely outdated, but the average citizen doesn't know this and the Vegetarians will gain the upper hand.

I say they should ban veggies if this law passes 'cuz that's just ridiculous...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
What do you think?
If the people of Massachusetts want it, great for them!
It'll certainly cut down on the amount of animals being killed. I'm inclined to say yes.
Is this a pointless law?
Sort of, because people are still going to eat meat regardless from meat bought from the store.
Do you even care?
Yes

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
What do you think?
It's a little odd. :\

I love animals... but I also love to eat animals, so I could go either way...

Is this a pointless law?
Not really, the sheer number of animals killed each day for human consumption is staggering, and cutting down on it, even a tiny bit, is probably a good thing.

Do you even care?
A little. :P

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
This is a horrible law, and I hope it doesn't pass. People shouldn't be forced into any sort of lifestyle change; it's absurd. Not to mention, legislatures tend to look at the laws other states pass and say "well, they did it, so it must not be completely insane." This sounds an awful lot like circular reasoning to me, but they still do it.

Anyway, they can take my bacon over my cold, dead body.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Oh fudge I am sorry. I just realized my IQ is not under 50. So I should be saying that even considering this makes 1st Graders look like College Professors.

If my IQ was under 50... I think I'd actually say the same thing... :\

Good thing meat is part of the Texan diet. Good luck getting my appeal, Massachusetts.

Years
Trying to have people eat less meat is someone's attempt to bring to people's attention the huge drain on our resources it is to feed and keep livestock and the damage this can cause to the environment, the harmful effects of too much meat (especially red meat) in your diet, the suffering of animals, and dozens of other things so I don't think it's pointless. But prohibiting things just makes people angry because "the man" is telling them what to do. A better approach would be educating people about healthy food choices and alternatives to meat.

And Lent is a religious observance so it doesn't apply to everyone.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
What do you think?
I'm a vegetarian, but I don't think that anyone should be forcing anything upon people like this. That's a bit extreme. I think it's an interesting idea, but I don't think anyone has the right to be forced like this. Although, geez, just buy your own meat and cook it up. Maybe I'm biased because I live with a family that always makes homecooked food, so... ignore me, I guess.

It will cut down on the number of animals being killed, which is nice, but again, I don't approve of this being forced upon the world. Although if you're one of those people that don't go to restaurants often (like me, even though I wouldn't buy a turkey sandwich anyway), you probably won't really care.

Is this a pointless law?

Somewhat. Most people are still going to eat meat after Monday or just cook it up themselves. I guess it's nice to cut down a few deaths of animals, but I don't think it's going matter that much, unfortunately. I'd like to think otherwise, but I'm a realist.

Do you even care?

Again, I'd love to be an optimist, but I don't think it's going to work on cutting down the number of slaughtered animals. Otherwise, I'd care. Other than that, I don't live in Massachusetts; I don't go to restaurants (and never on a Monday); I'd avoid eating meat regardless. So, what else is there?

Why or why not?

See above.

My two cents. Meh.

Edit:
Galatea said:
A better approach would be educating people about healthy food choices and alternatives to meat

Yeah, that sums up my hopes for the world. I do believe that we should avoid slaughtering so many animals and and all that jazz, but passing laws like this isn't really the way to do it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I can't help but suspect that this is being sponsored by Massachusetts' relatively high Catholic population.

Even as a devout Catholic myself this law makes little sense. Why force an entire state to follow dogma of a religion they probably don't believe in?

[EDIT] I'm an idiot; I misread the topic as Meatless Friday...Meatless Monday isn't a part of Catholic dogma. So this means the entire population is forced to make this unnecessary sacrifice for no sufficient reason other than to save the environment?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
…I don't think it's going to work on cutting down the number of slaughtered animals…

Haha, I get it now.

But, the fact of the matter is that those people in Congress have extremely smart individuals who can make laws if they have the right support.

PETA and GREENPEACE for example have celebrities that support them, thus giving them the finanical power to sway a lot of people to support this law. They do this by showing gruesome video of slaughter houses and so on in commercials.

Thankfully, whenever normal science goes through, people actually see the effects.
The difference will probably minuscule when it comes to the numbers of animals slaughtered, unless monday is a slaughter day for farmers in Massachusetts.
It's like saying there should be year round school because test scores increased a whole 2%.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 28, 2012
I think this whole vegeterianism thing is stupid. First of all, Meatless Monday is absolutely ridiculous. We should be able to buy meat any day of the week. Secondly, vegeterians need to realize that PLANTS ARE JUST AS MUCH ALIVE AS ANIMALS. Sure, they dont feel pain, but basically what youre saying is that its cruel to kill animals before their natural lifespan is over. It's just as much cruel to kill plants and eat them. Just because they can't mutter sounds and can't express emotions doesn't mean they're not alive. If animals were as expressionless as plants, you vegeterians would be gobblin' up those cows.

Meatless Monday = stupid restriction. It's not gonna help anything.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I think this whole vegeterianism thing is stupid. First of all, Meatless Monday is absolutely ridiculous. We should be able to buy meat any day of the week. Secondly, vegeterians need to realize that PLANTS ARE JUST AS MUCH ALIVE AS ANIMALS. Sure, they dont feel pain, but basically what youre saying is that its cruel to kill animals before their natural lifespan is over. It's just as much cruel to kill plants and eat them. Just because they can't mutter sounds and can't express emotions doesn't mean they're not alive. If animals were as expressionless as plants, you vegeterians would be gobblin' up those cows.

Actually, there is evidence that plants react to their environments as much as animals. I seem to remember a study a while back that showed chemical changes in plants when a person that had been smashing nearby plants left and came back.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023

It actually seems to be more of a health thing than a moral thing, although the 'I am holier than thou art' is a commonly brought up thing. There was a lot of discussion in PETA on whether people would eat meat if it didn't require an animal to be killed for it.

They are right for the most part, but most of it is overeating meat and sometimes vegetarian diets have side effects. The people that lived the longest were Japanese who mainly ate veggies and fish, a mix of both.
And no, fish IS meat. It comes from a living, breathing animal.

Years

All the vegetarians I know, including me, think it's cruel to kill animals unnecessarily, not because it's before their natural life span. Plant are gonna die no matter what. Human life can't continue without us (or something else we subsequently eat) eating them. However, human life can continue without us eating other animals if we eat directly from plants. Plants are alive, but they don't have emotions or consciousness/sentience so it's not cruel to kill them.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
Only in Massachusetts will they propose laws telling people what they can and can't eat on Mondays. Anyone else glad they don't live there?

Back