• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azumin

Trader/RNGer. ^-^
Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Just finished!!!! Barely beat Blue. Nidoking's Thunderbolt FTW it had 4 hp left at the end.Challenge completed.Time for a solo run ^-^ . End quote: Remember guys, there are dual types so use them to your advantage!

Years
  • Starr's Electric Shock Saga
    Chapter Four: Eusine, Suicune and the Fog Badge

First Entry

Flaaffy, Pikachu and I headed out of Goldenrod City with the Squirt Bottle in hand, ready to finally take care of that tree once and for all! We headed through the National Park, where I guess they have bug catching contests or something. It wasn't going on today, so we just walked through and finally ended up at the weird tree.

I used the Squirt Bottle… and the tree turned around to fight me! Apparently it was a Pokémon, a Sudowoodo! I had never seen anything like that, and it looked kind of rare, so I caught it so Professor Elm could maybe study it later.

*** SUDOWOODO (NON-ELECTRIC) CAUGHT – ROUTE 36 ***

In a cool twist of fate, literally steps after catching the Sudowoodo, my egg hatched into a cuuuute little Pichu!

*** PICHU (MALE) HATCHED – ROUTE 36 ***

After a handful of trainer fights, we finally made it to Ecruteak City… but I have something else in mind I want to do before I even think about challenging the local Gym.

Second Entry

After healing up at the local Pokémon Center, I headed out of the western gate of Ecruteak in search of a specific Pokémon… and I was not disappointed! The first wild Pokémon I attracted was the exact one I was looking for, a level 16 Magnemite! I took down its health with a couple of Headbutts from Flaaffy, then caught it on the first tossed Poké Ball!

*** MAGNEMITE (GENDERLESS) CAUGHT – ROUTE 38 ***

I probably got a little too excited over catching the Magnemite, unfortunately, because I attracted a trainer as well, some girl named Dana! We battled, and after I beat her, my Flaaffy leveled to 30 and evolved into Ampharos! Wow!

*** AMPHAROS (FEMALE) OBTAINED – FLAAFFY EVOLUTION ***

Third Entry

We headed back to the Pokemon Center to rest up again and get Magnemite into fighting shape when I met Bill, some guy who apparently created the Pokemon Storage System used on the PCs in every Center. He told me he was fixing some wi-fi thingamajig and then told me to come back to his house in Goldenrod City, so I headed back there after hitting the shop for some items. When I got there, Bill asked me if I could take care of an Eevee he found… after remembering that Eevee evolves into Jolteon when exposed to a Thunderstone, I told him of course, and added the little guy to my team!

*** EEVEE (MALE) OBTAINED – GOLDENROD CITY ***

I headed back to Ecruteak with Eevee in tow and headed into the Gym, only to be told that Morty, the Gym Leader, wasn't there, he was in the Burned Tower, located on the Western edge of Ecruteak! I groaned audibly (really, this is the second Gym Leader to not be WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE when I come to challenge them! This is getting annoying!) then headed into the Burned Tower to investigate.

Fourth Entry

The Burned Tower was really unstable, and a little scary. Poor Ampharos kept looking over my shoulder, afraid the floor was going to give way! After looking around for a bit, we located Morty, there with his friend Eusine. The guy seemed like a bit of a nut, he kept going on about Suicune this and Suicune that… ugh. After walking away from him halfway through his recollection of the Suicune beanie baby collection he had as a small child, I ran smack dab into Alex, my rival, who challenged me to yet another battle! Needless to say, I whomped him per usual and sent him running.

With Alex out of the way, I headed downstairs into the Tower's basement and found three really mystical looking Pokemon! I creeped closer to get a better look, but as I did, the three Pokemon came to life and sprinted out of the Tower. One in particular, a blue one, stopped in front of me to sniff before running off. Eusine came up from behind me and said that what I just saw was Suicune and that he was going to try to catch it. Okay, whatever.

With all of that out of the way, I finally followed Morty back to the Gym and… um, wow. It was really weird in there! All kinds of old ladies with ghosts and candles… so creepy! Regardless, I was able to fight through them without a problem and finally reached Morty. Five minutes and change later, Ampharos made short work of his entire Ghost-type team and I found myself the owner of my fourth Gym Badge!

fogbadge.png

*** FOG BADGE OBTAINED (4/8) ***

With the Fog Badge in my collection, Morty suggested I head south to Olivine City for my next Gym Battle, and suggested I was going to have to get across the sea. One question… with who? I don't think any of my Pokemon can swim! I...

…one moment, I'm getting a message from Professor Elm on my PokeGear…

…Chinchou? An electric and water type? Hmm…

Starr4.png

Ampharos - Lvl. 33
    Magnemite - Lvl. 18
    Pikachu - Lvl. 16
    Eevee - Lvl. 10
    Pichu - Lvl. 7
    Oddish (Temp. HM Slave [Cut]) - Lvl. 5

.: End of Chapter Four :.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    DAY 3

- Trained to LV 12 for sprout tower.
    - Healed up, headed into sprout tower
    - Made it up to the end of the Tower with ease.
    - INFRA RED evolved into Quilava
    - Elder Li was easy as eating a PIE.
    - Rested up, before heading to the GYM
    - Defeated the first 2 trainers relatively easily.

GYM LEADER 1: 3 Embers later and I won.

- Picked up the Togipi Egg again.
    - Picked up Rock Smash and gave it to Rattata.
    - Saved

TEAM

INFRA RED 16

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Congrats azumin, the latest addition to the Champions.

Keep it going guys!

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    Morty's Ghosts were no match for Dragonair! Twister and Dragon Rage made quick work of them.... Mwahahaha.

Added to the fact that he backed me right into a corner, I was nearly certainly going to lose (I'd deposited my other Pokemon in the PC so I couldn't use it, don't ask me why) and then Haunter, his last Pokemon, committed suicide with Curse. :D
    Currently in Cianwood, foolishly forgetting to visit the Lighthouse.... Bah XD

Anyway, now I plan to beat Chuck easily, get Whirlpool, and catch me a Horsea from yonder Whirl Islands. :) All in all, going pretty well.

PS. I refuse to be named a Champion until I beat Red. :)

Just beat Chuck without too much trouble. Took ages to take down that Poliwrath though. The guy tricked me. I'd red healthed his Poliwrath, and he switched to Primeape, so I went to surf it, then he switched back and got healed >:(.

Extreme speed was also the only thing that saved me from the terrible Focus Punch spam. Luckily, no double team. :)

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I'm picking up the Ground type because I like quagsire lololol.

I'll update eventually once I trade my ice team over.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2010
    Bah, I had an entire thing written up here. But I pressed back and it was all erased. I'm just give a broad overview for the first ~7 bullets then.

I can now post pictures! So my entries will be a bit prettier now. :)

Day 2
    • Got my Kangaskahn after a day at school. It's a Careful nature, although that doesn't matter much to me. Took a while but I got the Scrappy ability, which lets his attacks hit ghost types.​
    • Dumped Totodile in my PC​
    • Fought my way to Cherrygrove​
    • Said "hell no" when Youngster Joey asked for my number​
    • Arrived in Violet City​
    • Battled my way to the top of Sprout Tower, eventually letting my Khangaskahn learn Bite at level 12 :)​
    • Now this is where I am. This'll be a bit more detailed.​
    • Saw Beatle, the arrogant kid left without giving me a chance to wipe the floor with him.​
    • With Fake Out(a move I can't decide if I like or not), I took out the Sage's first pokemon and newly-learned Bite put the rest out of comission. :)​
    • Senile old man gave me flash, which will annoy me soon enough.​
    • Used my escape rope to climb down sprout tower. Because that's safe.​
    • Arrived at Violet Gym, went up the elevator and ascended to the heavens.​
    • Gotta say, I really dig these new gym layouts. :)​
    • After beating the two trainers before the leader, I realized that my Kanghaskan is underleveled, atleast for me. Usually my starter has evolved by this time and I make that a point before I beat the first gym. So with that, I descended back to earth and grinded using primarily Fake Out till my Kanghaskahn was level 16.​
    FalknerHGSS.gif

• My first Gym Battle as a normal-user!
    Spr_4h_016.png
    Vs.
    Spr_4h_115.png

• Because of the size difference, I could feel my Kanghaskahn getting a bit overconfident here. But then again so was I, since it was the first turn he was out, it allowed me to use Fake Out which always hits first, nullifying the speed advantage Pidgey had AND has a 100% chance of flinching, allowing me to get a second attack off. My plan was already formulating.
    I ordered my Kanghaskan to use Fake Out as soon as the battle began and that alone defeated his pidgey. A one hit KO so early on.
    Spr_4h_017.png
    vs
    Spr_4h_115.png

• When Falkner threw out his level 13 Pidgeotto, I had to wonder by what black magic he got the pidgey to evolve so quickly. Seems to be against the rules of nature but hey, gym leaders don't obey those rules apparently.
    • From the start, it seemed like I'd have a spot of trouble since I could not use Fake Out again. For those that don't know, Fake Out only hits on the first turn the user is out, it's deemed useless with a 100% fail rate afterwards.
    • I attacked with a STAB-ed Comet Punch right out from the start, it seems that the three level advantage my Kanghaskahn had made up for the speed loss and I still attacked first. Comet Punch hit 1,2,3, and finally 4 times, hitting a 1 Hit KO!
    • So with not even a scratch on him, My Kanghaskan won and left Falkner crying on the floor.
    Zephyr_Badge.png

Success! with that, I continued on, got the second man for my team, Togepi, saved and now I'm off to bed. Pretty good day :P​

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    Damn Jasmine and her Magnemites!
    Every single one I fought paralyzed and confused me >:( 1HKO'd her Steelix with Surf though, no problem. Steelix is a big wussy.
    Now I'm hunting for Whirlpool so I can finally get a Horsea. Or is the Ice Gym whirlpool? I'm not sure.
    If it is, I'm in a bit of trouble, since seadra was gonna be what I was going to use against the Ice Gym due to the water type cancelling out weakness to Ice.

Years
  • Starr's Electric Shock Saga
    Chapter Five: Sinnoh and the Storm Badge

First Entry

After defeating Morty, I headed southwest from Ecruteak en route to Olivine. I placed Magnemite at the front of my party because I've heard rumors that once it evolves into a Magneton, there's a place in far-away Sinnoh where it can evolve even further! Luckily for me, one of my old school friends lives in Sinnoh, where he defeated their League Champion much like I hope to do someday.

After reaching Moomoo Farms and helping their sick Miltank get back to prime health, my Pokémon and I headed south, where I found a wild Farfetch'd! I caught him and when we get to Olivine, I'm going to switch him out with Oddish. Not only can Farfetch'd learn Cut, but it can Fly as well and that's a skill I feel I'm going to need sooner or later!

*** FARFETCH'D (MALE) CAUGHT (HM SLAVE) - ROUTE 39 ***

Second Entry

Upon entering Olivine City, Alex appeared and told me that the Gym Leader was, surprise surprise, not at her post. He called me weak or something (I tuned him out, to be honest!) and went to explore the town. I met a fisherman who gave me a Good Rod and told me where I could find a Chinchou... using his Rod, fishing in the Whirl Islands!

Now how am I going to get to the Whirl Islands? I still don't have anybody who can Surf!

Third Entry

Well, I made a decision, and it's not one I'm particularly proud of... I fished right outside Olivine and caught a Krabby.

*** KRABBY (FEMALE) CAUGHT (TEMP. SURF SLAVE) - OLIVINE CITY ***

Now, now, hear me out! I don't plan on keeping the Krabby, even if she is cute! While I searched through the City for ideas, I found a nice guy who is willing to trade his Voltorb for a Krabby! So I'll use Krabby, head out to the Whirl Islands, catch a Chinchou, head back to Olivine, then trade Krabby for the guy's Voltorb and teach Chinchou Surf! It's a flawless plan!

Fourth Entry

It worked! I did it exactly as I laid out before, and on top of all that, Magnemite got some great experience from all of the water Pokémon we defeated! But the most important thing of all, I'm back in Olivine, and I now have both my shiny new Chinchou and that guy's Voltorb... which he apparently named Billy. Weird.

*** CHINCHOU (FEMALE) CAUGHT - WHIRL ISLANDS ***

*** VOLTORB OBTAINED (IN-GAME TRADE) - OLIVINE CITY ***

Now, I'm heading into the Glitter Lighthouse, which is where Jasmine is said to be. Wish me luck!

Fifth Entry

I just got back from the Lighthouse, and things are bad there. The Pokémon that keeps the sea lit at night, an Ampharos, is sick, and Jasmine won't leave it's side! She asked me to head to Cianwood City and get some special medicine from the pharmacy there, and my hands are tied, since I need Jasmine in her Gym to fight her, so I'm off to Cianwood. On the plus side, there's a Gym there as well!

Oh, but first things first... Magnemite evolved during the last fight I had inside the Lighthouse!

*** MAGNETON (GENDERLESS) OBTAINED - MAGNEMITE EVOLUTION ***

While in the Pokémon Center, I called my friend, David, who lives in Sinnoh. Luckily, I caught him while he was relaxing in Hearthome City, taking in some contests. He told me the location I was looking for was Mt. Coronet, and he happened to be right near it where he was, so we did a temporary trade - I sent him Magneton and he let me watch over his cute little baby Chingling in the meantime. She was SO cute!

Anyways, after about ten minutes, I got a call back from David saying that Magneton had leveled inside Mt. Coronet into a Magnezone! We hooked back up over the trade channel and after sending his little Chingling back, I got my freshly-evolved Magnezone!

*** MAGNEZONE (GENDERLESS) OBTAINED - MAGNETON EVOLUTION ***

I thanked David and let him go so he could go enjoy his Contest watching. As for me... it's time to go to Cianwood City, save Ampharos, and get my next Gym Badge!

Sixth Entry

The swim from Olivine to Cianwood was fairly uneventful. I juggled between letting Magnezone and Ampharos fight... they both seem really eager to compete today!

Upon landing on Cianwood's shore, we healed up at the Pokémon Center and found the pharmacy, where the man working gladly handed over his Secret Potion once I explained the situation. We left and I prepared to enter the Gym, but Magnezone started getting all funny and making some noises, then took off towards the northern shore of the City...

It turns out it was Suicune setting off Magnezone's sensors! It took off again, and of course, Eusine popped out of nowhere obsessing over it again. He then challenged me to a match, and Magnezone took out his entire team without trying. Keep trying, buddy, maybe one day you'll catch that Suicune.

After all of that, we finally made it to the Cianwood City Gym. Ampharos took her place at the front of my team and systematically tore through all of the trainers inside the Gym until finally we reached Chuck, the Gym Leader. He was mad I turned his waterfall off, so I apologized by dropping his Pokémon like a bad habit. The Storm Badge is mine!

stormbadge.png

*** STORM BADGE OBTAINED (5/8) ***

With another Badge in my collection, we exited the Gym, where a woman stopped me and rewarded me with the HM02 for Fly! I immediately taught it to Farfetch'd, then headed back to Olivine through the skies. Up next on the agenda... saving Amphy and getting my next Badge! You're on notice, Jasmine!

Starr5.png

Ampharos - Lvl. 35
    Magnezone - Lvl. 32
    Chinchou - Lvl. 20
    Voltorb - Lvl. 20
    Pikachu - Lvl. 17
    Farfetch'd (HM Slave [Cut, Fly]) - Lvl. 16

.: End of Chapter Five :.

Kiger Mustang

NOW UNDER USERNAME " SWEED "
    Years
  • Not really one for detailed updates, so here we go:

- Caught a Wooper; female, nn'd Flounder
    - Got through the cave
    - Arrived in Azalea Town (SP?)
    - Beat the Rockets easily
    - Beat the Gym easily (used Grimwald for the most part)
    - Beat Rival Randall
    - CAUGHT A SHINY WEEDLE IN ILEX FOREST (first legit shiny I've ever caught in game)
    - Got to Goldenrod, about to go sweep the gym.

TEAM:
    074.png

Grimwald/Geodude @ Hard Stone
    Male/lvl. 21
    - Tackle
    - Magnitude
    - Rock Throw
    - Selfdestruct

195.png

Flounder/Quagsire @ n/a
    Female/lvl. 20
    - WaterGun
    - Mud Bomb
    - Headbutt
    - Mud Shot

HM Slaves: Chikorita (Cut)

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    this seems like fun. I'm going to join

Username: TotoPacMan
    Type: Bug
    Version: SoulSilver
    --------------------------------------------------
    started game right after I posted so this would be an update, I guess.

-Started game (after old game deletion)
    -i'm a boy named Tater (as in tater tot, yes)
    -got stuff from Ma
    -Lyra decides to have her marill use tackle. it hurt
    -went into Prof. Elm's lab
    -he told me stuff and then gave me a pokemon
    -picked totodile (best starter HM slave)
    -went out to find some bug types

well that's it for now.

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    You have been added.

Also, I've decided to switch my challenge to the Dark type.

I'll probably bring in either a sneasel, houndour, or poochyena egg.

I know I'm certainly bringing two though.

myrrh25

New account soon.
    Years
  • Only Ice and Fighting left... I do admit it'd be fun doing a Hitmon-trio run, but nah...

Username: Myrrh25
    Type: Ice
    Version: Heartgold

Team probably gonna be along the lines of : Snorunt (Piloswine), Snover (Abomasnow), Snorunt (Glalie), Eevee (Glaceon), Delibird, Sneasel (Weavile).
    Think I'll stick with 3 until the E4, where I'll catch the others.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Added!

Oh btw, I'm the first to beat the Ice type challenge. =]

Since you're using Ice types, you're free to bring in 1-2 eggs since they are pretty scarce.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2010
    Dark sounds awesome EJ. I was thinking about doing that next time since this is pretty fun. Once I'm done with normal, I think I'll do that.

Not a lot of update time due to Taks week but I'll probably do a detailed update later today.

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    wow, sprout tower sucks with only a Kakuna. yeah, caught a weedle and evolved it. DAMN BELLSPROUTS!! they can't touch me, though.

also named totodile after my self. little bugger... too bad i'm never busing him again

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • Username:simon_van09
    Type: Fighting
    Version: Soulsilver

Might aswell do fighting since no one else has touched it yet,
    not sure what the earliest wild fighting type is does anyone know?
    updates soon!

I think it's Mankey, but I'm pretty sure that you don't get it for a while.

Actually, after checking my Strategy Guide, you don't get a Mankey until after defeating the Ecruteak Gym, and Morty.

Edit: If you count Dual-types, you can use Heracross and Poliwrath, and get them both much earlier. But, even then, you don't get Poliwag until you can Surf and/or Fish, and you don't get Heracross until after Violet City. My advice would be to import a Fighting-type from D/P/Pt. I would suggest something like Chimchar (which evolves into the Fire/Fighting-type Infernape), Shroomish (evolves into the Grass/Fighting-type Breloom), or Riolu (which starts off as Fighting, and evolves into a Fighting/Steel-type).

Hell, you can't even get a Machop until Goldenrod. Your best bet is importing.

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • Yeah ended up just using my starter to beat the first gym then got the old rod and got lucky enough to get a poliwag on the 2nd try, so Im gonna use him untill, I can find others, thanks for the help though :)

No problem. And, just as a side-note, I plan on doing the WaterElectric-type once my Normal-type Challenge is completed. Expect an update either today, or tomorrow, detailing my adventures from Goldenrod, to Ecruteak, to Olivine, to Cianwood, back to Olivine. I'm trying to at least get three badges before I update, and I'm succeeding. If only I had an R4, so I could play this game all day...

Last edited:

Kiger Mustang

NOW UNDER USERNAME " SWEED "
    Years
  • Quick update:

- Beat Whitney easily
    - Got the Squirt Bottle
    - Caught two Nidoran male, one female (chose the second male and nn'd Dune)
    - Trekking up to Ecrutek!

TEAM:
    Spr_4h_032.png

Dune/Nidoran Male
    Male/lvl. 13
    - Leer
    - Focus Energy
    - Double Kick
    - Peck

In training, so not much to say here.

195.png

Flounder/Quagsire
    Female/lvl. 23
    - Water Gun
    - Headbutt
    - Mud Bomb
    - Mud Shot

The heavy hitter, favorite of the team, can take anything. The VIP.

Spr_4h_074.png

Grimwald/Geodude
    Male/lvl. 23
    - Tackle
    - Selfdestruct
    - Magnitude
    - Rock Throw

Kinda forgotten, but he's still useful. I'll like him more when he evolves into Golem (undetermined level).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back