• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which original Kanto Gym Leader would you consider to be the most influential?

Which original Kanto Gym Leader would you consider to be the most influential?

• Brock (Rock)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Misty (Water)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Lt. Surge (Electric)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Erika (Grass)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Koga (Poison)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Sabrina (Psychic)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Blaine (Fire)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Giovanni (Ground/Other)

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tremonal

Pokemon Researcher
Years
  • Hello again, PokeCommunity. I really hope this thread's not been done in awhile. I'm doing some research on fans' preferences when it comes to some aspects of Pokemon, and I was hoping that you could take the time to help me out.

Poll Clarification/things to consider:
    Which original Kanto Gym Leader is:
    - most relevant to the message Pokemon is trying to express, or
    - of the most interesting character design, or
    - one which left a lasting impression on you as a trainer, or
    - simply your personal favorite, whether it be due to type, personality, or otherwise.
    *Please disregard Giovanni's connection to Team Rocket as a factor in his relevancy to the plot. I know he's very important to TR's whole side of the story, but that side of things is not relevant to my research.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • *Please disregard Giovanni's connection to Team Rocket as a factor in his relevancy to the plot. I know he's very important to TR's whole side of the story, but that side of things is not relevant to my research.
    I really need to start reading threads before I vote -.-

So instead of Giovanni, I will say Misty. She has really been there for us oldheads. Im happy that the finally became a water pokemon master, or gym leader, same thing basically xD Her outfits doesnt really phase me that much in gameplay.....nothing but a bathing suit and jacket.....hm. But in the anime I wanted to dress like her xD

But for the most interesting Gym leader, Sabrina wins that one. She has multiple personalities in the Pokemon franchise.
    Anime- outcast, loner, creepy, intimidating
    Games- quiet, brags about her telepathy, doesnt like to battle (ironic that shes a leader lol)
    Manga- terrorist, evil, REALLY brags about her telepathy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Which original Kanto Gym Leader is:
    - most relevant to the message Pokemon is trying to express: Erika. She really cares about Grass Pokemon
    - of the most interesting character design: Lt. Surge. Because he fought in the American army.
    - one which left a lasting impression on you as a [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]trainer[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]: Brock. In the anime, he dreams of being a Pokemon breeder.
    - simply your personal favorite, whether it be due to type, personality, or otherwise: Sabrina, Misty or Brock.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • Well, in the games the gym leaders don't seem to have any goals except Giovanni so I pick him as being the most influential.

As my personal favorite I would pick Sabrina any day because of her personality, design(especially HG/SS), and the fact that she uses my 2nd favorite type of pokemon.

Nervous Eddy

Anxious Meowth
    Years
  • Lt. Surge! He seemed to have real panache in the games. A commander and all that, aheh. And his anime version reminds me of Sylvester Stallone. :P

Chisswarrior

Grand Admiral
    Years
  • Very interesting subject :P

- most relevant to the message Pokemon is trying to express
    Brock (anime), cuz he wants to be the best breeder. Pokemon games are all about training the best pokes to be strong, and a breeder is someone who tries to raise perfect specimens and train them perfectly

- of the most interesting character design, or
    Koga, cuz he's a ninja :P

- one which left a lasting impression on you as a trainer, or
    Blaine. He never gives up. A volcano takes out his whole island and he just claims Seafoam as his and makes his gym there. Epic.

- simply your personal favorite, whether it be due to type, personality, etc
    Koga, because I like poison types, and he becomes part of the Elite four, so he's a beast

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Let's see,
    - most relevant to the message Pokemon is trying to express: Giovanni. He has a purpose in the anime, and he totally stands out from the rest. He seems to be one of the most serious gym leaders too. When the Mewtwo emergency came up, he got Jessie and James to run the gym for him, instead of screwing all challengers and shutting it off like many others have done.
    - of the most interesting character design: Giovanni again. He used Mewtwo against Gary, what's more awesome than having Mewtwo?
    - one which left a lasting impression on you as a trainer: Sabrina, but the impression she left me was an incredibly negative one. I found her incredibly annoying, inhumane, and just totally dislikable.
    - simply your personal favorite, whether it be due to type, personality, or otherwise. Giovanni is the only Kanto Gym leader that did not frustrate me in a way or another. Plus, as Team Rocket's boss, he is my third favorite character in the anime. I don't see who else I could possibly choose.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Most relevant to the message Pokemon is trying to express:
    Erika, I would say. She definitely seems the most caring toward her Pokémon.

The most interesting character design:
    Lt. Surge. His clothing, attitude, and background are all very out of the norm.

One which left a lasting impression on you as a trainer:
    Sabrina, most def. Her anime incarnation has made me scared to death of her and made me pity her. Such is that combination that I struggle to defeat her in the games.

Your personal favorite:
    > Manga: Giovanni. EPIC EPICNESS ABOUNDS
    > Anime: Blaine. He's awesome and quirky.
    > Games: Oh god idk. There really isn't much to the personalities of the leaders in the games, in my opinion. Although I am a fan of Koga's design.

Ayselipera

-most relevant to the message Pokemon is trying to express
    Has to be Erika. She really loved her Pokemon and treated them like equals rather than just pets so to speak.

- of the most interesting character design
    Koga for being a ninja and thankfully not a corny ninja at that.

- one which left a lasting impression on you as a trainer
    Not doubt Sabrina. I remember first seeing her in the anime and being amazed. The combination of having psychic powers, being a skilled trainer, and having the attitude that she did left an impression on me for the longest time. For some reason I've always sort of wanted to have that cold attitude about me so I'm guessing that's what made her so appealing and interesting.

- simply your personal favorite, whether it be due to type, personality, or otherwise.
    Erika is my favorite of the Kanto Gym leaders. I love her personality, past times, and preferred type. I think she captures a grass gym leaders personality perfectly. I would expect them to be calm, kind, and sincere and she is all of those things.

Overall most influential would probably be Sabrina.

Back