• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Kyurem's Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I didn't see a specific thread for this so I made my own. Feel free to move or close if there is one up already.

Ok so we have had a few guesses but nothing is really official. I know the Pokedex or something game related said that Kyurem came from outer Space on a meteorite and crashed into a site know known as "The Hole" where he plagues the nearby town and devours small children.

Speculations have arisen that Kyurem is some how directly related to the Dragon that split into Reshiram and Zekrom. I didn't really follow that too far cause there didn't see like room enough in that story for the creation of a third. So if anyone can post this version I'd be happy.

There is the Wuji relation to the Tao Duo. In which Kyurem represents a world without balance or the boarders of balance set by Reshiram and Zekrom.

A freind of mine just associated Kyurem with HP Lovecraft's Yuggoth. He said he's send me a detailed report as to why, but he gave me a few little things to help start it off.

02/19/11 08:38 PM
    [×] [o] Bcadren: I'm I the only one that thinks that Kyurem is actually a Yogsoggothy reference?

02/19/11 08:41 PM
    [×] [o] Bcadren: In the Cthulu Mythos; the Mi-go live in a city at the edge of a great pit, on the planet, Yuggoth; they leave the town when the being can be seen rising from the pit.

02/19/11 08:44 PM
    [×] [o] Bcadren: I'm just saying I think Kyurem may be a reference to the being in the pit...though it is never said which elder god or old one actually resides there...it is implied that it's Cxaxukluth, son of Azathoth.

02/19/11 09:09 PM
    [×] [o] Bcadren: And I'm going to go eat, but this is the first story with a fair description of Yuggoth and the Mi-Go.

I never read the HP Lovecraft stories but I knew about the creature (name mostly) thanks to Arkahm Horror which is a Board Game based off of the book series.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Well the way i see it, it doesnt really need to be part of there origin to be part of there story.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Spr_5b_646.png

Kyurem lives at the bottom of a Giant Hole and has a signature move: "Frozen World". There is a myth in the town above that it would rise from this pit and eat people and pokemon. This myth has driven those that live there to hide at night in order to keep this being of darkness from attacking them.

In the Lovecraft Mythos, the icy/dark planet Yuggoth is host to an alien colony of the Mi-go; which set up a town on the rim of a pit, in which dwells an ancient entity, feared by the Mi-go to the point of them abandoning their town when the creature rises from the depths; and implied, though never stated to be a Great Old One (like Cthulhu) or other god, such as Cxaxukluth, son of Azuthuth (an outer god) which is known to reside on the planet.

It might be a bit of a stretch, but could this supposedly alien being be a reference to how Cxaxukluth fled his father and crashed into the planet to become feared by settlers there?

Notably Kyurem's appearance is more like the Mi-Go themselves than the Old One Cthulhu.

Spoiler: A Mi-Go
    Anyways, I've heard weirder origin story theories and Lovecraft did make his works public domain, so it's not crazy. Thoughts?

This was what my friend managed to put together comparing Kyurem to a Mi Gol.

Years
  • Well this is something. Maybe, maybe not. Gamefreak loves throwing curve balls on origins of Pokemon, so why not?

But then again, Kyurem is an alien, so it probably came from a different world than Zek and Res. Or it was kept away for a reason, you never hear about Kyurem in Unova's history likewise Giratina.

So it maybe an outcast as well, or maybe it's the center piece to the opposing sides of Zek and Res. So maybe in the next game, Team Plasma discovers Kyurem, and tries to use it's power? I don't know really.

In fact Kyurem reminds me a lot of Giratina to be honest, wonder what it's Alt form would look like if it had one.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    I'm starting to think Rem fell to earth on a meteor, and it's complete form had a giant Arceus-like ring on it's back, with 3 slots, each with a R@m stone in it, and it's power earned it a god status, thus it's main stone being called a God Stone. It befriended the brothers, gifted them each with a stone, (black and White)and together the 3 shaped the Unova region, but when they broke up the bond holding them all together broke, causing the god stone (representing unity) to stop working as the black and white stones each took half of the God stone's power, causing Kyurem to lose power into what it is today, and each brother's idea (ideals and truth) took shape from their hearts and the power of the Stones.

In Grei version, depending on which stone you give it, it will change between: Ice/Electric, Ice/Fire, and Fire/Electric (God Stone).

Years
  • ^ That's pretty good.

I'm starting to think in Grey Kyurem will be awakened instead. And it'll cover in Unova in a vast world of ice. And it's your mission to stop it.

Also on it's past I still find it strange it came from Space...maybe...their's more to the story, like an Arceus-like Pokemon?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I remember that in RS they only talked about Groudon and Kyogre and in DP only Dialga and Plakia no mention of Rayquaza and Giratina respectively so I think GF will add the origins of Kyurem in the third version if it does become it's mascot.
    As for what it's based on...the top of that beast actually reminded me of Kyurem.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I remember that in RS they only talked about Groudon and Kyogre and in DP only Dialga and Plakia no mention of Rayquaza and Giratina respectively so I think GF will add the origins of Kyurem in the third version if it does become it's mascot.
    As for what it's based on...the top of that beast actually reminded me of Kyurem.

No they talk about Rayquaza in Ruby and Sapphire, but near the end after you beat one of them. They also talk about it in Pacifilodge.

Giratina needed a whole movie and new game to become associated with Dialga and Palkia though.

Both I still disagree with the fan basis of calling them Trio's though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • No they talk about Rayquaza in Ruby and Sapphire, but near the end after you beat one of them. They also talk about it in Pacifilodge.

Giratina needed a whole movie and new game to become associated with Dialga and Palkia though.

Both I still disagree with the fan basis of calling them Trio's though.
    Well there is a lot in game proof for why those three are trios...
    I read somewhere that Iris actually mentioned a third dragon...cough Kyurem cough

Years
  • Well, Kyurem's most likely the third dragon, since Gamefreak is doing the same thing again.

Also, Kyurem's probably a balancer between Zek and Rem, remember Kyurem's the embodiment of ice, aka negative energy.

Years
  • But that will change come Dubbing. Though I think they'll keep it.

But yeah, Kyu is going to be an equalizer I bet you. I hope it gets a Freeze or True form to overshadow that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    But that will change come Dubbing. Though I think they'll keep it.

But yeah, Kyu is going to be an equalizer I bet you. I hope it gets a Freeze or True form to overshadow that.

It was my understanding that it is frozen already (hence why it looks like am awkwardly posed statue). So perhaps if and when it's true from is released it will look drastically different?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Those are very interesting ideas you guys mentioned :D
    I agree with all of statements according Kyurem's origin...
    But why to think so complicated to put Kyurem into another dragon trio if we can just remember first generation ;)
    Anyone remembers Articuno + Zapdos + Moltres (Ice + Electric + Fire) and second movie where they symbolized balance? :)
    Does it ring a bell? :D Kyurem + Zekrom + Reshiram? :D

Archipelago

Who knows?
    Years
  • I am surprised at some of the theories that you are all coming up with, and are all very interesting. I would like to see an alternate form of Kyurem, which I either see it as become completely incased in ice due for obvious reasons, or it completely dispelling the ice and losing it altogether (although probably keeping the same typing). Either way, I'd sure like to see how far the speculation with the Ice-Dragon goes. Wouldn't it all be a bit of a waste if it turned out that the third edition focuses around Genesect?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back