• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Kyurem's Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I dunno about Kyurem's origin. I kinda want the whole go into towns and murder people thing to be untrue, or a mistranslation or something, though, the whole theory of it being parted from Reshiram/Zekrom does kinda make sense with that - meaning Reshiram/Zekrom keep order in the world by fitting in together, whereas Kyurem without a counterpart destroys it? I dunno. :x
    Those are very interesting ideas you guys mentioned :D
    I agree with all of statements according Kyurem's origin...
    But why to think so complicated to put Kyurem into another dragon trio if we can just remember first generation ;)
    Anyone remembers Articuno + Zapdos + Moltres (Ice + Electric + Fire) and second movie where they symbolized balance? :)
    Does it ring a bell? :D Kyurem + Zekrom + Reshiram? :D

These three seem to represent a greater power of balance imo. I know balance can't be divided into minor and major forms of balance, but the fact that those three are ying/ying/Kyurem is something, yet the Kanto birds don't fit that well together with me, idk.

I can't help but think that Kyurem might turn to a Dragon/Water type...(Hydro power) making the Tao trio match both the Bird and Beast trios...

Starting to get on the edge of third game speculation, keep it at what you think Kyurem is, not what it can be in a future game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Like I said in the Pokemon like/dislike thread, Kyurem is based on the absence of yin and yang (wuji). Since wuji is still related to yin and yang in a way, my guess is that Kyurem is related to Reshiram and Zekrom. All 3 Pokemon share similar level up moves.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Like I said in the Pokemon like/dislike thread, Kyurem is based on the absence of yin and yang (wuji). Since wuji is still related to yin and yang in a way, my guess is that Kyurem is related to Reshiram and Zekrom. All 3 Pokemon share similar level up moves.

Except for their last move learned. Both Reshiram and Zekrom learn Blue Flame and Lightning Strike respectively at lvl 100 but Kyurem learns it's last move, Hyper Voice at lvl 92.

It's interesting because with the Sinnoh Trio, all three learned Aura Sphere at lvl 90. The same with the Hoenn Weather Trio (except they each learned different moves at lvl 90). The Johto Dog Trio all learned their last "signature" move at lvl 85. The Kanto Bird Trio was like the Johto Trio.

So why is Kyurem different?

Last edited:
    Years
    So let me guess again: Kyurem, can only be peaceful when Zek and Res are asleep, and maybe it was a part of history as the "lock" between them. But once they're awakened, Kyurem transforms into it's "Original" form, which kicks major ass, the only problem is it would probably reshape Unova.

I know this is on the verge of game speculating, but maybe Kyurem will freeze the world over into an ice age and that's how Unova was created, since we do have Polar Bears which are known to live far north...

And I just realized how sneaky Nintendo is. New York City was invented via glaciars, and you can see it was formed that way today, and Unova is based off it after all, so Kyurem probably created the Ice Age!

Holy Crap.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    So let me guess again: Kyurem, can only be peaceful when Zek and Res are asleep, and maybe it was a part of history as the "lock" between them. But once they're awakened, Kyurem transforms into it's "Original" form, which kicks major ass, the only problem is it would probably reshape Unova.

I know this is on the verge of game speculating, but maybe Kyurem will freeze the world over into an ice age and that's how Unova was created, since we do have Polar Bears which are known to live far north...

And I just realized how sneaky Nintendo is. New York City was invented via glaciars, and you can see it was formed that way today, and Unova is based off it after all, so Kyurem probably created the Ice Age!

Holy Crap.

well from what i gathered Kyurem crashed into the region after it was created. And honestly i hope Nintendo is more creative then that. I mean come on just because its an ice type pokemon doesnt mean it wants to freeze everything. I know it freezes the giant hole in B/W but i doubt it would freeze the whole region. Mybe it would just freeze the area its in and you would have to navigate thru it like the distortion world

Years
    Well it's just a theory, but don't discredit it.

Well Kyurem is a bit suspicious to me. I mean, it changed the climate a bit drastically, and I find it weird that you can only find it after the game, after you battle Ghetsis. And something interesting I've found is that Ice is created with an absence of Fire and Electricity, a la Zek and Res.

But that would be giving Gamefreak too much credit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Well it's just a theory, but don't discredit it.

Well Kyurem is a bit suspicious to me. I mean, it changed the climate a bit drastically, and I find it weird that you can only find it after the game, after you battle Ghetsis. And something interesting I've found is that Ice is created with an absence of Fire and Electricity, a la Zek and Res.

But that would be giving Gamefreak too much credit.

I'm not trying to discredit it or anything. I'm just saying that there is a point where our mind tries to fill in blank spots such as this with conclusions that may or may not be correct and can be pretty complex. This may be Pokemon, but the games and developers do have a sense of logic to them as well.

Anyways, the whole "ice = absence of fire and electricity" thing is pretty valid and I'm glad you brought it up. It's quite interesting I think because not only is this proven in science but in Taoism, as someone previously mentioned, absence of balance can only be achieved without balance (obviously ;)). Yet at the same time these ideals depend on one another, forming a trio.

And you can only find Giratina at the end of the game in Diamond and Pearl. I don't really see any difference honestly.

Years
    Hmm...reading up on Wuji. pretty interesting. I would recommend reading the Wiki article, I think I know where Gamefreak wants to head with Kyurem.

If Kyurem is truely based off of the concept/philosophy of Wuji, which sort of a concept of limitless; infinite, which is interesting.

Maybe...Kyurem covers Unova with snow and ice, which could translate to that...plus it came from space, another concept of infinite/limitless, also Space is very cold if I do recall.

I'm starting to think Kyurem is the unholy brother of Zek and Res, sort of like Dialga and Palkia and Giratina. It's starting to look like that, I mean Zek and Res represent balance, but Kyurem represents infinite/limitless.

I don't know what to think anymore about this thing...

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I decided to look up some details on Bulbapedia and came across this:

"Kyurem's origins are much different than those of the other two. The third dragon came down to Earth from an icy meteor and crashed into a place called Giant Hole. An old legend in Kagome Town describing Kyurem claims that it would take people and Pokémon away from the town and eat them; this is why the town is now surrounded by a giant wall. Another claim is that Kyurem is the corpse of the original Dragon Pokémon after it had split into Reshiram and Zekrom."

If the last part is indeed true and the whole space thing turned out to be merely myth, then it is highly possible that Kyurem is in-fact the Tao Trio's "master." Pretty creepy concept with the corpse idea IMO. Maybe when the original dragon split, the being that would come to be known as Kyurem fell to the earth from high in the atmosphere and the towns people believe it to be from space? Hmmm....who knows...

Anyways, I really like this idea maybe even more than the whole space thing. I hope this is the actual story behind the Tao Trio.

Years
    So Kyurem is probably what was left of the original, huh...and when you think about it, it's sounds plausible.

Ice is created in the absence of Fire and Electricity. Kyurem's based off Wuji philosophy, which is basically the absence of balance.

So Kyurem isn't balanced at all. And the corpse thing explains the lower base stats, also if you haven't noticed it has equal Sp. Atk/Atk stats, plus it's faster than Zek/Res normally.

Maybe it was discarded to space, but it fell onto Earth, and terrorized people until it couldn't.

Maybe it was trying to regain energy, but it couldn't.

And it's possible it may try to absorb Zek and Res if you know what I mean. Just saying.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016

"Kyurem's origins are much different than those of the other two. The third dragon came down to Earth from an icy meteor and crashed into a place called Giant Hole. An old legend in Kagome Town describing Kyurem claims that it would take people and Pokémon away from the town and eat them; this is why the town is now surrounded by a giant wall. Another claim is that Kyurem is the corpse of the original Dragon Pokémon after it had split into Reshiram and Zekrom."

If the last part is indeed true and the whole space thing turned out to be merely myth, then it is highly possible that Kyurem is in-fact the Tao Trio's "master." Pretty creepy concept with the corpse idea IMO. Maybe when the original dragon split, the being that would come to be known as Kyurem fell to the earth from high in the atmosphere and the towns people believe it to be from space? Hmmm....who knows...

Anyways, I really like this idea maybe even more than the whole space thing. I hope this is the actual story behind the Tao Trio.

Whose to say it's not both, for example, like my theory, it still could have fallen on a meteor, the people eating didn't start until it became cold and bitter via the brother's fight.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Only issue I find with that version is the dragon splits into two forms not three and not three but leaves his old body discarded. Ying and Yang that was formed are the two halves to one body.

As for the master clause, he can't be a master as he is weaker.

Also Wuji is a Fan created idea not Nintendo's.

It all fits into the speculation, but everything doesn't correlate to one another the way we think they do. Also Ice uses a chemical reaction to stay how it is so it does produce energy but the energy is being released rather than absorbed which forms the Ice.

A solid's molecules are still moving but very slowly. The process of freezing still requires some form of molecular energy to produce so it being the absence of energy isn't 100% viable.

Also opposite of Balance is imbalance. Balance is easier to maintain with two equal powers rather than three especially with one of the three being unequal in power to the other two.

I did notice you brought up his difference in attacks, another thing to point out is that other than Giratina, all trios learn similar attacks at roughly the same point. If not then there is an apparent pattern that they follow. For instance I forget which trio it is, but one learns a damage dealing attack while the other two learn status attacks, then a second gains a damage dealing attack while the other two get status then the last gains its attack while the two before get status attacks.

If they don't follow this then as I said before they learn similar attacks. I.e Fire Fang, Thunder Fang (Reshiram and Zekrom) or Beam/Bolt/Thrower for the Ice/Electric/Fire comboes.

Kyurem's attacks are notably weaker than Reshy and Zekky in this regard.

As a Stand alone it is pretty BA. And for other legends that appear Post Game, Gen 2 the opposite Bird was available, Gen 3 Latios and Latias Rayquaza, The Bird Trio in the remakes. Gen 4 Giratina, Regigigas, Cresselia, Darkrai. I know a lot don't have anything to do with this, but what I'm saying is that they never release all the legends Pre End Game. They leave pretty much all of them that don't pertain to the story for end of game events and captures. If you could catch everything pre End game then there isn't much point playing Post game story.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Only issue I find with that version is the dragon splits into two forms not three and not three but leaves his old body discarded. Ying and Yang that was formed are the two halves to one body

Yes, in regards to Yin and Yang, two halves make a whole. BUT the Taoism philosophy supports Wuji (absence of balance) as part of Yin and Yang yet stands apart.

As for the master clause, he can't be a master as he is weaker.
    That is the rule and yes it is, at the moment. It may have another forme (true form) as right now it is practically frozen.

Also Wuji is a Fan created idea not Nintendo's
    Actually it is part of the Taoism belief. It is not strictly a "fan-based" idea. Far from it as there is historical background in cultures on the subject.

It all fits into the speculation, but everything doesn't correlate to one another the way we think they do. Also Ice uses a chemical reaction to stay how it is so it does produce energy but the energy is being released rather than absorbed which forms the Ice.

A solid's molecules are still moving but very slowly. The process of freezing still requires some form of molecular energy to produce so it being the absence of energy isn't 100% viable.

Ok, but honestly as I said before while there is some logic in the games and with the developers, is it realistic of US to think that the developers thought this far and detailed on the subject? Maybe, or maybe not. We don't know at the moment.

I'm not entirely sure as I would need to go through all of the posts on this thread, but I don't think we said "absence of energy" rather "absence of balance." I guess fire and lightning constitute as energy but I believe there are other forms of energy as well, no? (Maybe I'm wrong on that)

Also opposite of Balance is imbalance. Balance is easier to maintain with two equal powers rather than three especially with one of the three being unequal in power to the other two.

Yes, but again we are discussing "absence of balance" which can constitute as "imbalance" in a way.

I did notice you brought up his difference in attacks, another thing to point out is that other than Giratina, all trios learn similar attacks at roughly the same point. If not then there is an apparent pattern that they follow. For instance I forget which trio it is, but one learns a damage dealing attack while the other two learn status attacks, then a second gains a damage dealing attack while the other two get status then the last gains its attack while the two before get status attacks.

If they don't follow this then as I said before they learn similar attacks. I.e Fire Fang, Thunder Fang (Reshiram and Zekrom) or Beam/Bolt/Thrower for the Ice/Electric/Fire combos.

Yes, but Kyurem DOES learn a "signature attack" at roughly the same lvl (I mean isn't 8 lvls pretty close in this regard?) Granted these are not entirely signature attacks hence the " " and I haven't gone through to see any other patterns. I only looked at the lvls so far.

Kyurem's attacks are notably weaker than Reshy and Zekky in this regard.

Yes, but going back to the other forme idea, it is entirely possible that these things can change if it does in fact have another, more powerful state of being.

As a Stand alone it is pretty BA. And for other legends that appear Post Game, Gen 2 the opposite Bird was available, Gen 3 Latios and Latias Rayquaza, The Bird Trio in the remakes. Gen 4 Giratina, Regigigas, Cresselia, Darkrai. I know a lot don't have anything to do with this, but what I'm saying is that they never release all the legends Pre End Game. They leave pretty much all of them that don't pertain to the story for end of game events and captures. If you could catch everything pre End game then there isn't much point playing Post game story.

I agree, and I don't think that the time when it is captured in Black and White have anything to do with it's origin story and if/how it fits in the grand scheme of things.

Years
    Guys, remember keep it calm and collected, we don't want this locked.

Anyway I still think Kyurem is weaker than it was before, which is why it needs to eliminate Zek and Res to come back to it's former glory or use the God/Grey Stone to get it's true form, I mean looks at it!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Sorry guys, but even after I mentioned earlier on that this thread needs to steer away from Kyurem's role in the third game, it's happening again, especially with the question in the latest post.

It's a really good thread idea, but the fact that it mixes in with the third game speculation makes it almost impossible to avoid the question of "due to the history behind Kyurem, what'll be its future roles?"

However, you can still discuss Kyurem's origin in relation to the third game in the speculation thread, which allows you to be more free with your discussions, even allowing you to relate back to the third game to expand on your theories.

Kyurem's Origin

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back