• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a closeted poke-fan?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2015
    I remember way back when I was 12-13 years old.. I loved pokemon! I was addicted, bought poke-merchandise, recorded the anime series and, proudly caught "all 150 pokemon" on my Pokemon Blue. :)

But I was bullied and teased relentlessly by my classmates as pokemon was "uncool" and was nothing more than a "childs game" and I was a fool for playing it.

Now, about 10 years later..I'm 23 and I've recently rediscovered pokemon and realise I still love playing! but I dare not tell others for fear of ridicule! :P

how about you guys? are you a closeted poke-fan or do you let the world know? lol

Years
  • There's nothing wrong with liking something. People shouldn't tease you because of something you like.

Almost everyone that knows me knows that I love Pokémon. It's kind of hard to hide when they walk into my room and see several plushies, a giant poster on my wall, and my trading card collection.

I'm 20, and yes, almost everyone knows that I love Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2015
    Good on you! :)

I'm probably the minority here who feels the need to hide, oh well maybe I should be more like u (just without the plushies) :P

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I tell everyone I play the games, or well they end up seeing me playing in class... but I don't tell most people I watch the anime. I openly make fun of myself for playing :P.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • I'm 19 now, and I openly tell my mates I like Pokémon. You'll notice, the majority of people actually do like it as well, whether they admit it or not. We all played the games at some point.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Im in HS, and all my friends know I play Pokemon..Most of them play too! The rest really dont care..Unless we go all into PokeNerd- talk XD. But yeah, come out of the closet man! If anyone teases you, say "at least I dont listen to JB.." and when they say they dont say "mhmmm...sure *wink*" :P

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • It's a hobby for me, and most of my friends know about it. I don't like to talk about it in public where the conversation can be overheard, though. I'm 20 years old; it's sort of embarrassing when I'm in a quiet room on campus with a bunch of people and a friend comes up and says "hey, can you help me build a new Pokémon team??" rather loudly. That happened earlier today, actually. Ah well. I'm not ashamed.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Haha I never really hidden my love of pokemon. Maybe a little bit when I moved schools but one year after coming to a new school I've pretty open about it. In fact A LOT of my school knows I love pokemon and they think it's pretty cool. In fact I even used Pokemon as a base for my marijuana project for health XD I know I know, marijuana and pokemon don't mix and match but my health teacher loved it (It even got me full marks!) I'm not ashamed of my love of pokemon and I doubt I ever will be

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • On a semi-daily basis, I freely admit that I play the Pokemon games. Sometimes, I see people in my school playing Pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't outright tell people that I play Pokemon, but if it comes up in conversation, I have no problem telling people that I play it. It's an awesome game, and I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't outright tell people that I play Pokemon, but if it comes up in conversation, I have no problem telling people that I play it. It's an awesome game, and I have absolutely nothing to hide.

This, pretty much. I never start conversations with new people with "HI I'M JONATHAN AND LIKE POKEMON DO YOU LIKE POKEMON TOO?" but if it comes up organically in conversation, I have no problem admitting it. Most people get all nostalgic from when they used to play the games; at the worst, it's a weird look and then everyone's on with their lives again.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I'm pretty deceived about my classmates... I'm studying in computer engineering, you would expect most people to be gamers and a few to be Pokemon players... But no, I've not met a single one so far :(. Most show a bit of nostalgia, but laugh a bit at the same time. It's nothing mean so I don't care, but it's too bad I couldn't find anyone to trade and pvp with xD!!!

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    Most of my friends have played pokemon at one point in their lives and loved it. We use to get together at Recess/break in elementary school and trade/talk about pokemon. Good times. Now i just play on raining days, but everyone knows that i still play pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    I remember way back when I was 12-13 years old.. I loved pokemon! I was addicted, bought poke-merchandise, recorded the anime series and, proudly caught "all 150 pokemon" on my Pokemon Blue. :)

But I was bullied and teased relentlessly by my classmates as pokemon was "uncool" and was nothing more than a "childs game" and I was a fool for playing it.

Now, about 10 years later..I'm 23 and I've recently rediscovered pokemon and realise I still love playing! but I dare not tell others for fear of ridicule! :P

how about you guys? are you a closeted poke-fan or do you let the world know? lol

I'm the same. 22 now and I have the games, watch the Anime on CiTV and have the cards etc.

During school it was fine, till I got into year 7 and I stopped playing really. Decided to get HG when it came out and not looked back :)

Years
  • I don't go out of my way to broadcast it, but I'm not shy to admit I still like it when it comes up. Some kids on a field trip to the library gave me a "WTF" look over what I was playing on my DS while I was waiting there.

Aurora01

Goodbye
    Years
  • I'm really open about it, since I feel that there's nothing to be ashamed of.
    In fact, if I meet someone new, I tell them that I love Pokemon outright. :D

Years
  • All my friends and people I talk to know I like to play the pokemon games, and they really don't judge me for it. Actually, some of my friends play also.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Well, as well as some other people here, people at my school who strive to be cool have declared that Pokémon is uncool, but I have no problem talking about it to my friends, because I know them well enough to know that they'll be my friends no matter what I like, so I can talk about Pokémon and say I like Pokémon. If someone's talking about Pokémon, I'll talk about it also, but if not, I keep it to myself.

Years
  • I'm closeted in the sense I really don't bring it up but don't try to hide it. RL contact is few and far in-between anyway, so the issue never really came up to me.

Back