• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a closeted poke-fan?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2011
    I've just rediscovered pokemon too!!! I was teased when I went to school and collected but never told anyone!!! Now that I'm much older, I display my collections with pride, its ok to have been a closeter when you was in high school, but now that ur an adult you should be proud, because obviously they are something you liked for all this time, so you must be a little proud of it!!!

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I obviously don't announce to the world I like Pokemon, but I don't mind If people know. I get teased every once in a while, but I don't really care. XD

Oharo

̣
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    Nah. Most of the people around me used to play Pokemon. I'm not exactly unpopular in the school too. I felt a little nostalgic after seeing Black & White come out. I whipped out my good ol' Gameboy, announced that I wanted to buy a DS and now everyone around me wants to get a DS to play Pokemon too.

So I suppose it's getting popular around my cohort in this school. Nothing to hide. Except the fact that i'm on a Pokemon forum though.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
    I've never hidden the fact that I'm a Pokémon fan. I'm not a pokémaniac that goes around shouting that I love pokémon to everyone I meet, either. I have another interest I do that with. xD

Kea

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I used to be ashamed in elementary, middle, and parts of high school, but now I really don't care. XD I think everyone has played or still plays Pokemon now... it's not uncommon.

Reminds me of that Awkward Zombie comic, really. I'd post the comic here but I can't derp.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    I'm a college student, and I still play regularly. Most college students were 5-9 years old when Red and Blue came out, so...

Actually, I didn't have any Pokémon games until I bought Platinum last year. I'm probably the only Pokémon-playing college student in Massachusetts who has never owned a Gen I or II game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Closeted. Nobody knows except for my mom, dad and sister. I'd be the laughing stock of my school if anyone found out D:

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
    Nope. I'm sure most of the people I know got to play Pokémon in some point of time. I believe they know and I don't mind admitting to it. :) Besides, I do bring my Pokéwalker to school too, it's fun. XD

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    No.
    Although I'm not intentionally tell the people around me, when the time to telling the truth has come I will just honestly tell them the truth. And by chance I do not meet a problem by telling the truth to the people around me.

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Closeted. Nobody knows except for my mom, dad and sister. I'd be the laughing stock of my school if anyone found out D:

I think the school is the laughing stock.

They should be ashamed of themselves, not liking Pokemon. What has this world come to?

I'm open and proud, my friends are too, we're the generation that grew up with Pokemon season 1, and all the games came out as we aged. It was such a simpler time.

ArtekOublier

Writing those writables.
    Years
    Some people are lucky that everyone they know doesn't diss them for liking what they like. Others are not so lucky and yeah i do feel bad for them.

People younger than me liked Pokémon, my brother and I collected the unofficial cards and swapped some with a girl two houses down from us.
    My first Game was Pokémon Yellow and I couldn't stop playing.
    After Crystal I stopped and took a break and missed the 3rd Gen until I met my now partner who was obsessed with the cards , the games and even drew out his own. I almost "had" to become obsessed again.
    We have constant discussions about biological theories surrounding Pokémon and the likes and try to make it just as mature as it were a "grown-up" thing. Why do you think people IV and EV train to make their Pokémon battle? 5 and 6 years olds aren't gonna understand that are they?

I'll be 26 in October and that doesn't mean a thing. Think of the 70+ year old woman who enters the championships, think of all the artists of the cards...game directors and Satoshi Tajiri himself, what age are they?
    Yes Pokémon has a specific demographic, but not everyone falls into that, I have a Grandmother who still plays Pikmin and Legend of Zelda.

Most of my classmates at Uni who are 6 or 7 years younger than I talk about it as if it was the in thing when they were younger, but they were probably too young to remember properly. They still talk about the first gen...and nothing else.

People who make fun of others who are interested in something like Pokémon always have a preconceived idea about it, like it's childish and its for babies. If they understood most of the mechanics of the game they'd be surprised how grown up it can be. Most of the people who diss other people are the sort of folk who constantly play shoot em ups (no disrespect meant) or beat other folk, and what's so mature about that, picking on people and playing with guns? It's kinda the same and being in a war where most of these people end up (again no disrespect meant) which is just a big game of hide and seek...with guns.

And so I rest my case.

I do not transmit my love of the franchise but I will often put it in my list of likes on other sites or to people who ask.
    It's just like me being a Céline Dion fan, not many people like her, although being one of the best selling females artists in history.
    You have to be open to others, that's all, and not be afraid.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Not at all lol, I wear my badge with pride. Everyone who's been in my room can see the DVDs lined up in my TV show collection...

BattleBeard

The Ultimate Beard
    Years
    I'm a very open person, yet I'm homeschooled and I only have one IRL friend. He thinks Pokemon is just bad and boring. He rather play his PS2 all day. Yet I've played the game countless times around him, and yes, we are best friends. He thinks I'm a Pokenerd, and yes, I am. He knows I may have a fetish for Pokemon.

Anyways, don't be afraid to tell anyone about it, because it most likely, won't change your stance on them, if it's bad or good, it won't change. Most likely.

o3o

Years
    My closer friends do know I play Pokémon, but none of them play it themselves, so I don't bring it up that much~ I wouldn't want everyone to know I play Pokémon though, because once someone brought it up in class, and everyone started laughing. :<

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Who would closet it?
    For me, it's obvious (I recently got Ruby, Emerald, and Blue for Christmas, and I have Blue out in the open XD), considering my desktop is FILLED with 386 patches.

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    Somewhat. I might bring it up with friends who I know play it as well, but there are a lot of people I specifically would never want to know that I play.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    I was one back in 6th grade but after that I just stopped caring for the most part. My closest friends know I still play it, but I know there's just some people who shouldn't know, I worked too hard building up a reputation in high school for that.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't really care about what other people think about my interests; I don't mind their perceptions. Most of my family knows I like Pokemon, and my friends do too. And they don't really mind. Some of them play Pokemon too, and in Primary school we would have TCG tournaments, R/S/E battles and whatnot. :D

Years
    Grrr, I just accidentally used some keyboard shortcut that deleted my already almost finished post. Didn't even know that's actually possible without quitting the page. Oh well, it wasn't that long...

Sort of. Only my friends know I play Pokemon from time to time, what they don't know is that when I do play it's usually quite excessive. Anyone else? Not their business.

Back