• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Japan?

Years
  • This is more of a discussion question and I'd stick it in OVP or wherever except this seems like the obvious place.

So every now and then I start to wonder: why are so many people interested in Japan? Is it the culture, history, media, all of that, none of that, something else? If you have thoughts or theories or personal stories I'd love to hear them.

Years
  • The media. Video games, anime, manga, visual novels, fanart, etc., the amount that they churn out is probably unmatched by any other culture (name any other country that produces eroge regularly. Didn't think so). The interest in the rest of Japanese culture just happens to be a side effect due to all the cultural in-references. My theory anyway.

I'm not saying other countries are lazy with their media, it's just that their primary focuses happen to be elsewhere such as music, traditional novels, or live-action.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    The only things that I like from Japan are the cartoons and some of their video games

Everything else is pretty bad IMO

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I actually can't be too sure. Mum and Dad ask me this all the time, but . . .

I've always had an interest in things from other cultures: their language, what they eat, the way they live and so on. But Japan specifically . . . well, I guess it's just so much more accessible. Have you ever seen Spanish cartoons on the internet? Or scanlations of French comic books? I'm sure they're out there, but they're much harder to find.

And it was Pokemon, really, that made the link. I'd been into it for a while, and eventually I made the connection as to where it came from. Then it was only natural to be curious as to what else came from this wonderful place that gave us Pikachu and Mewtwo and Dragonite.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I couldn't say... I didn't know anything about Japan, before I stumbled across some anime on adult swim... and none of my friends really like it, so I wasn't influenced by anything but the anime itself. It's just that good, I guess.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I would be lying if I said that anime wasn't part of what got me into it, but that's the keyword, 'part'. When I was really little, like 3 and 4, I met my friend Yulie. For some years after that we were best friends, and her family was really tied to their Japanese culture, and language, etc. Everything in their house was Asian, and they ate food typical of your everyday family living in Japan, they just happened to live in America. I was over there a lot, and while I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time, I just got used to it, and found it interesting.

She didn't tell me what Anime was until we were 10 or so, and that was due to the Pokemon anime releasing in Japan, and soon to be America at the time, as well. To be honest, her family and the way they lived is what got me into their language and culture. At this point, anime in Japan could be non-existent and I would still love Japan, and still want to visit. <3

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Also everything in Nippon is either cute or weird so its more interest on top of the media.

*High-fives*

The only things that I like from Japan are the cartoons and some of their video games

Everything else is pretty bad IMO

1. Anime 2. That's pretty insulting. I myself am I Chilean, and although I dislike Chilean culture, (Chile fans forgive me) I don't go publicly saying it. (Until now, but at least I specified it was my opinion.)

Anyway, I was too distracted to say this:
    Spoiler:

*Nippon is sort-of Japanese of Japan. In other words, Nipponese for Nippon. At least that's what I've been told by a friend.

Although I'm the number 1 Anime, Manga and Nipponese Video Game fan you'll ever see, something that I also love about Nippon (which most people don't appreciate) is the rich culture. I am specifically enjoy the Youkai and folklore. If only I was born Nipponese...

...Also, when I first saw this topic I thought it was about the tsunami.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
  • *High-fives*

1. Anime 2. That's pretty insulting. I myself am I Chilean, and although I dislike Chilean culture, (Chile fans forgive me) I don't go publicly saying it. (Until now, but at least I specified it was my opinion.)

Anyway, I was too distracted to say this:
    Spoiler:

*Nippon is sort-of Japanese of Japan. In other words, Nipponese for Nippon. At least that's what I've been told by a friend.

Although I'm the number 1 Anime, Manga and Nipponese Video Game fan you'll ever see, something that I also love about Nippon (which most people don't appreciate) is the rich culture. I am specifically enjoy the Youkai and folklore. If only I was born Nipponese...

...Also, when I first saw this topic I thought it was about the tsunami.

Well, in Japan the language is Nihongo and the nationality is Nihon-jin.

But I personally think we should have a Swazi Entertainment thread... That would be awesome.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • *Nippon is sort-of Japanese of Japan. In other words, Nipponese for Nippon. At least that's what I've been told by a friend.
    日本(Nihon/Nippon)=Japan
    日本語(Nihongo/Nippongo)=Japanese

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Accessibility, as others have said.

For example, I greatly admire German culture, but I... Well, I haven't seen any European cartoons /recently/.

Think about it. Japan is most likely the most Westernized country in the East. That puts them at an "exotic" status, but, because of American ideas spreading, they adapt things familiar to a Western audience to their own tastes, Whig are typically more over-the-top and entertaining. I mean, really. Look at all the shadowy religious orders. How many of them are conpletely Shinto-based? How many series completely lack Western influen r?

It's cultural exchange at work.

Also, America is big over there too. Ever seen an anime where someone has gone to study/play sports/vacation in America? And I doubt the love of English came from England, if the Brits will pardon me for being so "Amerrogant" (I love that word... xD).

And we occupied them. The occupying nation tends to influence the occupied one. Fortunately, they did not overthrow us with mechs...

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016

Anime = Japanese Cartoons

And I don't see how it's insulting to say that you don't like a lot of parts in Japanese culture in a thread which is asking why/how are so many others like it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm interested in Japan because of its culture. I'm also interested in its manga, anime (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, FullMetal Alchemist, etc) and food (sushi and ramen in particular).

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years

• Anime = Japanese Cartoons

And I don't see how it's insulting to say that you don't like a lot of parts in Japanese culture in a thread which is asking why/how are so many others like it.

Well, he said "everything else is pretty bad" which is a fairly offensive way of saying it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Anime/Manga is probably the biggest reason why people like Japan so much. Then comes the music/media/other entertainment, and then the culture.

I myself began getting into Japan because the culture and history fascinated me, then I learned about anime/manga and that made me like it even more. Then I went to apply for a foreign exchange program so I can go there during my senior year, but due to the earthquake I'm unable to go. And because the family I was supposed to stay with died. R.I.P. Overall, the history, culture, traditions, entertainment are the biggest factors.

Years
  • So... easy access to media is what lots of us are saying? I guess it could be as simple as that. Of course there are still lots of people who see things from Japan and have zero interest in them so there's got to be something about us which makes us respond to all that media coming our way.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Hmm... well, I've always liked cartoons better than real life anyway... I mean, I would watch cartoon network over mtv (or whatever normal teenagers like) any day.

That's definitely one of the reasons it appeals to me so much.

Years
  • We are all hipsters.

Seriously, though. The obscurity and mystery of the Japanese, for English speaking countries, may play a role in why so [few] many are interested in Japan. Or maybe they just want to make a statement by showing how "different" and "edgy" they are.

Escapism is another reason, because life sucks for most people who can't fit properly into the hierarchy of the social pyramid. They can find solace in their cartoons that will never betray them.

Another theory I have is that a lot of people are reluctant to let go of their childhood. People find comfort in their childhood, and in this case, childhood was filled with Cartoons. As people got older, so did their cartoons (Pokemon and Sailor Moon to Adult Swim shows) and video games (Mario to Final Fantasy and other JRPGs), so they just followed suit.

In my case, it's probably a combination of the first and last theory since I find enjoyment in obscure things and that progression is kind of how I'm here today. In any case, I'm part of the subculture and I'm here to stay...
    NIPPON IS MY FAVORITE COUNTRY!!!!!

NO MATTER HOW MUCH I WANT TO LEAVE. orz

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    My interest specifically in Japan is historical, Sengoku Jidai and earlier.
    For me it just so happens that the present-day country is also a major producer of entertainment. My thoughts regarding my preference for animation (often done in Japan) over live-action (often done elsewhere) are detailed somewhat here. The 'lack of pretention toward realism' carries over to their video games and other media, too.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I actually dislike when people assume that I like Japan and am trying to learn the language because of Anime/Manga. Because that isn't true in my case. I've always been interested in their culture and how greatly it's based on respect (there isn't enough of that in the states.). And all about it. Though I do enjoy anime and manga over other visual contemporary art forms, so that is a plus. But it's just an interesting place.

Back