• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Lately there has been quite a few suicide cases at my school, and people are beginning to talk about how bad it is or good it is to do in some cases. We talked about this in class, and I've heard quite a few interesting remarks. I just wanted to see what do the PC users think of suicide? Bad? Unjust? Good in certain cases? /Discuss

Suicide:
    Suicide (Latin suicidium, from sui caedere, "to kill oneself") is the act of a human being intentionally causing his or her own death. Suicide is often committed out of despair, or attributed to some underlying mental disorder which includes depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, alcoholism and drug abuse. Financial difficulties, troubles with interpersonal relationships and other undesirable situations play a significant role.
    Over one million people commit suicide every year. The World Health Organization estimates that it is the thirteenth-leading cause of death worldwide and the National Safety Council rates it sixth in the United States. It is a leading cause of death among teenagers and adults under 35. Rates of suicide are higher in men than in women. There are an estimated 10 to 20 million non-fatal attempted suicides every year worldwide.
    Views on suicide have been influenced by broader cultural views on existential themes such as religion, honor, and the meaning of life. The Abrahamic religions consider suicide an offense towards God due to religious belief in the sanctity of life. In the West it was often regarded as a serious crime. Conversely, during the samurai era in Japan, seppuku was respected as a means of atonement for failure or as a form of protest. In the 20th century, suicide in the form of self-immolation has been used as a form of protest, and in the form of kamikaze and suicide bombing as a military or terrorist tactic. Sati is a Hindu funeral practice in which the widow would immolate herself on her husband's funeral pyre, either willingly, or under pressure from the family and in-laws.
    Medically assisted suicide (euthanasia, or the right to die) is currently a controversial ethical issue involving people who are terminally ill, in extreme pain, or have (perceived or construed) minimal quality of life through injury or illness. Self-sacrifice for others is not always considered suicide, as the goal is not to kill oneself but to save another; however, Émile Durkheim's theory termed such acts "altruistic suicide."

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Unless it's euthanasia, it's not a good idea. Everybody can and probably will wake up out of their depressed state at some point - who knows what contributions they have to offer the human race or even themselves? For teenagers and young adults, life should never be dark enough to act upon suicidal thoughts.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I agree with the above poster.

It gets better in the end. Lost your job? Find a new one. Someone close to you died? Focus on the good things they did.

Taking your life won't fix anything, although it may seem like a solution. But really it just creates problems for everyone you love! Whatever bad is occurring will pass eventually, time will heal all. <3

I wouldn't say it's..bad though..just sad.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Unless it's euthanasia, it's not a good idea.

Assuming that all suicide is based on depression, I would agree with you. But when it's a choice between torture and death, and suicide, with no hope of living either way I think I'd opt for the latter. I'd rather take my own life in that state.

However, I will say that suicide is the most selfish act a person can do. But I'm not being insulting in the way you may think. I see why people feel that way, I've felt it myself and troubled through it. I could dwell on my own experiences but I'd rather not be so inward.

I think the biggest mistake people make is simply stating that all suicide is preventable and making accusations that everyone would be better off alive than dead. I would consider that to be playing god (a figure of speech rather than literal). But it's a travesty. From what I see in it, people who believe that their pain and suffering die with them are disillusioned. It does not, it simply gets passed on to those that loved them. And that's something that always made me think.

Years
  • Despair breaks the weak minded. For me however, it is my greatest source of power. A man is most deadly, when he has nothing left to lose. But I digress.

Suicide is an out for the weak. I think the only exception would be the aforementioned medically assisted suicides as the best interests of the patient have been considered. I don't consider self sacrifice suicide.

As a Mathematician, every problem has a solution. I consider suicide giving in and not solving the problem. The answer isn't always easy to find and it can be quite obscure, but the satisfaction in grasping that answer is well worth it.

Often, people who end up commiting suicide are manipulated by their feelings. Their ability to think has been compromised by a raging flurry of reckless emotions. Such people I refer to as being alligned with the Light. For the Light blinds the human mind and causes it to act recklessly on dominant emotions. Dark justice is absolute, it forgoes emotion and relies purely on logically constructed facts and assumptions in dealing with scenarios.

So for those of you who are depressed or have contemplated suicide or whatever. Allow the Overlord to grant you some advice. Always try to keep an open mind. The heart is easily deceived, manipulated and acts impulsively. The mind when trained, sees things truly for what they are. A powerful mind will not miss even the faintest of details but at the same time, can analyse the bigger picture, which opens new possibilities to explore and consider.

. . . I've gone on a massive tangent haven't I ¬____¬

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I feel like calling suicidal people weak and selfish can be quite harmful to people who may feel suicidal that are reading.

I don't see how they're selfish, as it really doesn't directly involve anyone else. It's your life. Not anyone else's. So, it's your decision on what to do with it.

I don't see how it means they're weak, I mean, everyone gets sad. Some people just handle it differently, and some people have so much more going on and they just can't handle. It's perfectly normal to be overwhelmed, and if you can't get past the feeling of being so overwhelmed that you must take your life, you should talk to someone. A friend, a stranger, anyone who you feel may be helpful.

(To anyone reading who feels that way, feel free to PM me. I won't judge and I will try my best to help!)

Years
  • I feel like calling suicidal people weak and selfish can be quite harmful to people who may feel suicidal that are reading.

It is a simple truth of the matter. Those who have embraced the Darkness will accept this fact and not suffer from it.

I don't see how they're selfish, as it really doesn't directly involve anyone else. It's your life. Not anyone else's. So, it's your decision on what to do with it.

It is an act of selfishness as it leaves families, friends and in general, loved ones with loss and devastation.

I don't see how it means they're weak, I mean, everyone gets sad. Some people just handle it differently, and some people have so much more going on and they just can't handle. It's perfectly normal to be overwhelmed, and if you can't get past the feeling of being so overwhelmed that you must take your life, you should talk to someone. A friend, a stranger, anyone who you feel may be helpful.

I agree with your advice here.

(To anyone reading who feels that way, feel free to PM me. I won't judge and I will try my best to help!)

Responses are in red within the quote.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    People who freely choose to end their lives (i.e. are mentally stable) shouldn't be bothered. I agree that taking your own life is never the answer to any problem. It always ends up getting better. A 14 year old kid at my little sister's school just offed himself because his parents always argue.

Their body, their choice; right?

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • It is a simple truth of the matter. Those who have embraced the Darkness will accept this fact and not suffer from it.
    What if someone doesn't want to embrace the darkness, but instead find the light?
    It is an act of selfishness as it leaves families, friends and in general, loved ones with loss and devastation.
    It's your body though, you should do whatever you want.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    That thread is over a month old, and therefore can not be posted in.

Thank you?

Point of a thread is gathering opinions. There's a slew of them there that you could've read instead of starting a redundant thread.

Years
  • What if someone doesn't want to embrace the darkness, but instead find the light?

It's your body though, you should do whatever you want.

1) As stated earlier, the Light blinds the mind and causes it to act recklessly on emotion. They are dogs on leashes - tugged along by their feelings. They lack the clarity of mind, members of Darkness possess. I know what I prefer.

2) While what you say is true, it does not make the act any more justifiable.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Point of a thread is gathering opinions. There's a slew of them there that you could've read instead of starting a redundant thread.
    It's not redundant if,

1. New people post (which they have.)
    2. Old people's views have changed (which they have.)

It would be redundant if the same people posted the same things (which they haven't.)
    1) As stated earlier, the Light blinds the mind and causes it to act recklessly on emotion. They are dogs on leashes - tugged along by their feelings. They lack the clarity of mind, members of Darkness possess. I know what I prefer.

2) While what you say is true, it does not make the act any more justifiable.

1) That's your opinion though, not a fact.
    2) Suicide isn't justifiable in any form (unless it's euthanasia) but I believe it's not selfish.

Oh, beliefs, how you contradict with others. :(

Years
  • It's not redundant if,

1. New people post (which they have.)
    2. Old people's views have changed (which they have.)

It would be redundant if the same people posted the same things (which they haven't.)

1) That's your opinion though, not a fact.
    2) Suicide isn't justifiable in any form (unless it's euthanasia) but I believe it's not selfish.

Oh, beliefs, how you contradict with others. :(

1) Can't argue with that.

2) It is selfish because of the pain and suffering you leave your loved ones behind with. You kill yourself to relieve yourself of your own suffering. That is the whole theory behind suicide. How is it not a selfish act? Or if it isn't a selfish act, then what is it?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Despair breaks the weak minded. For me however, it is my greatest source of power. A man is most deadly, when he has nothing left to lose. But I digress.

Suicide is an out for the weak. I think the only exception would be the aforementioned medically assisted suicides as the best interests of the patient have been considered. I don't consider self sacrifice suicide.

As a Mathematician, every problem has a solution. I consider suicide giving in and not solving the problem. The answer isn't always easy to find and it can be quite obscure, but the satisfaction in grasping that answer is well worth it.

Often, people who end up commiting suicide are manipulated by their feelings. Their ability to think has been compromised by a raging flurry of reckless emotions. Such people I refer to as being alligned with the Light. For the Light blinds the human mind and causes it to act recklessly on dominant emotions. Dark justice is absolute, it forgoes emotion and relies purely on logically constructed facts and assumptions in dealing with scenarios.

So for those of you who are depressed or have contemplated suicide or whatever. Allow the Overlord to grant you some advice. Always try to keep an open mind. The heart is easily deceived, manipulated and acts impulsively. The mind when trained, sees things truly for what they are. A powerful mind will not miss even the faintest of details but at the same time, can analyse the bigger picture, which opens new possibilities to explore and consider.

. . . I've gone on a massive tangent haven't I ¬____¬
    I only skimmed this post, but I agree with most of what he said. I was suicidal at one point, like most people, and I find that I embraced the problems I had, and rather than let them overwhelm me, I accepted them for what they were. "If you don't have any shadows, you aren't standing in the light." is a quote I'm reminded of when I think about suicide, and I agree with it completely.

Life's full of difficult things and full of obstacles that are going to try to prevent you from accomplishing things. It's just a matter of overcoming them and getting through them in your own way. You can go for advice all you want, but unless you figure out what it is that works for you, it's not guaranteed to really work for you for how someone else coped with something.

I've actually become a better person because of the depression I've been through, I think. I'm rather rebellious at heart, and I don't like admitting defeat, and suicide is the ultimate defeat because in the end, they won. When I was hanging on the thoughts of committing suicide, despite my fear of death, I remember I told myself that and I was like "I can't let them win. I'm better than them." And by them, I mainly mean them as a personification of my darkness. It's pretty similar to embracing your insecurities in a sense, I'd say! I find the strongest people emotionally and mentally are always the people who went through the most pain and despair in various forms in their life.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I personally have mixed feelings about suicide. If its like a mental illness thats causing the suicidal feeling then its wrong because that can easily be helped through the means of medication and various therapies. In fact i think its less like suicide and more personal murder.
    But for those who just feel so unwanted and depressed about how there lifes are going it can have some form of well being. If said person is feeling so neglected and alone that the only way they can relieve themselves of the pain is through death then the feelings of those who neglected shouldn't be a variable. If they showed they cared enough said person wouldn't be in this situation.
    But either way i still think its wrong. Someone should never even get close to having to feel such extreme negative emotions such as that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I personally have mixed feelings about suicide. If its like a mental illness thats causing the suicidal feeling then its wrong because that can easily be helped through the means of medication and various therapies. In fact i think its less like suicide and more personal murder.
    But for those who just feel so unwanted and depressed about how there lifes are going it can have some form of well being. If said person is feeling so neglected and alone that the only way they can relieve themselves of the pain is through death then the feelings of those who neglected shouldn't be a variable. If they showed they cared enough said person wouldn't be in this situation.
    But either way i still think its wrong. Someone should never even get close to having to feel such extreme negative emotions such as that.
    How is a medically diagnosed mental illness that causes suicidal feelings wrong, but having unwanted feelings not so wrong? What if a medicine doesn't work? What if something with the medicine causes the illness to expand, rather than subside for the time being? What if something happens that's too hard to cope with, like the death of a loved one, at a time where they're feeling exceptionally vulnerable? I get that you think they're both wrong, though, but I find it strange that you find a medical condition particularly wrong...

I agree that people shouldn't ever get close to having those feelings, but they do, and that's all that matters. It's typically caused by things that are usually things that they can't control as well as other people's actions and bullying.

I'm not debating your point. I'm typically not interested in arguing / debating / whatever with people on the internet on things out of my control, I'm just trying to figure out why you think that way...

███

Ninja Space Mouse
    Years
  • People View Suicide As Two Things (That I've Noticed)

One Is Just Plain Death And Sadness. People Go To Suicide As There Answer To Their Life In Which Ending All Family Relations, Friend, And Loved Ones.

And The Second One Is People Use It As A Manipulative Way To Get Someone Back. I Over Heard Someone That His Girlfriend Broke Up With Him, He Became At That Sad State And Wanted Her Back. The Next Day He Didn't Show Up To School And Was Said To Be In The Hospital. The Next Day He Went To School. When He Went On That Day They Told Him That His Ex-Girlfriend Ended Up Killing Herself Cause She Blamed It All On Her.

The Guy Failed And Became A Horror To The School To Killing Someone Because He Wanted That Person Back When He Could Have Just Moved On And Find Someone New.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • It's an incredibly cruel thing to suggest that someone who's killed themselves did it because they were weak. Suicidal people are suicidal because they literally cannot see another way out of their pain. They are trapped in a horrible state of mind and they need help to pull themselves out of it.

Now obviously, if somebody is perfectly sane and clear-headed and wishes to end their life, well that's really nobody's business to judge, but I can't see many scenarios in which that would be the case.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Suicide is usually a last resort thing so I can understand where someone is coming from. Sometimes, there's so much emotional or physical pain that you just can't cope. I don't think it's being selfish because it's just something that people can't understand. A lot of the time, suicide comes from depression, and when you're depressed, you probably won't ever feel happy again so suicide looks like a good choice. It may leave the family upset, but if they didn't help you or support you during you're time of need, then they're the ones being selfish, not the person who kills themselves. I guess if they were helping, suicide could be a little selfish, but again, there's if so much pain, people will go to any extreme to get rid of it.

I think suicide is selfish when you just attempt it for your own personal means and are not actually serous about it. For instance, someone I know tried to kill themselves three times because their boyfriend broke up with them. All the attempts failed, and it looks pretty obvious that it was just a cry for attention. So in a sense like that, suicide is selfish.

Back