• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I think I'm going to be sick: US teen killed because he was gay

Zet

Years
  • A 17-year-old is on trial in California accused of shooting dead his classmate because the boy was gay.
    16025250.jpg

Accused Brandon McInerney (left), and victim Larry King (right)

The crime took place three years ago in 2008 when 14-year-old Brandon McInerney shot his then 15-year-old classmate, Larry King, twice in the back of the head.

The prosecution claims McInerney is a "white supremacist" and the killing of his classmate in an Oxnard school was because the dead boy's sexuality was against his ideology.

The defendant, however, says that was not the case, and he shot Larry King because of his unwanted advances.

McInerney does not deny the killing but argues that the crime was voluntary manslaughter, not murder.

While prosecutors argue the shooting was a straightforward hate crime, the defendant says he carried out the shooting "out of passion".

The defence dismissed the accusations of links to the white supremacy movement, saying Nazi literature he was found to have was connected with a school project.

Defence lawyer Scott Wippert told a Los Angeles courtroom that his client had reached emotional breaking point over King's advances.

"He did this out of heat of passion," the lawyer said. "These were two troubled young men and this was a tragedy."

But prosecutor Maeve Fox said that was not the case.

"The evidence in this case will prove to you that this killing was an execution," she told the jury.

The defendant is being tried as an adult and faces life imprisonment if found guilty.
    source

It's pretty disgusting how people can do this and just make something up to justify murder, and I'm pretty sure shooting someone in the head makes it murder, not voluntary manslaughter.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • ...I can't imagine this kid getting out of it. If there really were "unwanted advances" it's one thing to be uncomfortable with it, but another thing entirely to grab a gun and shoot the person in the head. Only someone highly disturbed would jump to that solution and I really hope he gets what's coming to him, since he doesn't seem to be going with any sort of mental deficiency defence. And I'm also glad he's being tried as an adult.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • He knowingly took the other persons life, and doesn't deny it. His sexual orientation is against his ideology, which to me says hate crime. Regardless if it is a hate crime or not this was an intential killing of an individual and I think he should have the max penalty they feel like is necessary for this. All he had to say to Larry King was "I'm not gay, so don't ask me about this again because it's not going to happen."

Years
  • This is why people shouldn't have guns.

I remember when this first happened. I'm so, so, so distraught by the thought that it happened in the first place and that anyone could think they would be justified in shooting someone for anything as innocent as 'advances.' Being a raving, oversensitive homophobe isn't an excuse for anything like this. It should have been an excuse to put this kid in therapy where that horrible, unfortunate boy belongs.

Nameless.

Unwanted advances? That's his excuse for shooting this poor young man? I am extremely disturbed by this case. Against your ideology, making unwanted advances... no excuse to take his life. You don't take a gun to someone's head for stupid reasons like that. In fact, don't take a gun to someone's head ever.

I'm glad he's being trialed as an adult. He deserves no grace for that... it's murder. Plain and simple. :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm wondering...had a girl made those unwanted advances on this young man, would he have shot her too? I too am disgusted with this. I agree with Katie above. He deserves being tried as an adult and is all too guilty, he's even admitting it. It is murder.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • ...So it's murder. I can't fathom what in the heck "unwanted advances" is supposed to mean but unless that means attempted rape it just seems petty.

But are we implying that any other murder victim deserves it any more? If not, why is it worse because he's gay? -_-'

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    The only disturbing part is that the murderer was FOURTEEN and felt his actions appropriate.

People of non-hetero sexualities have been getting killed/raped/mugged/etc since the first person decided to try something different. Obviously I don't condone discrimination or violence of any sort but this is nothing new.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Someone got murdered. Okay, try the killer and lock him up. Is there a reason this gets more attention then an "everyday" killing because the victim happens to be gay?

Years
  • But are we implying that any other murder victim deserves it any more? If not, why is it worse because he's gay? -_-'

Someone got murdered. Okay, try the killer and lock him up. Is there a reason this gets more attention then an "everyday" killing because the victim happens to be gay?
    Not that other victims are more deserving, not at all, but that the apparent reason for this murder was only that the kid was gay, which is like saying someone killed someone else because they were black and for no other reason. It's all to do with the state of mind of the killer and how it's kind of shocking that he thought it was enough of a reason to kill someone. Compare that to murders where you have jealous lovers, gang members and so on and you can see where the mind of this kid differs from those other killers.

It's also getting attention because it involves kids and because it's a particularly horrifying example of what queer kids are facing today.

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    Unlike many other Christians, I don't believe homosexuality is wrong, and even if it was, I would never consider execution- because that's what this was, an illegal execution- as a viable option. Jesus died for all people so that their sins may be forgiven- this is something that some of my own congregation don't seem to be able to grasp, the concept that Jesus didn't just die for Christians. I pray for every murder victim and every LBGT person who suffers under the yoke of a close-minded world of hypocrites and liars. I would rather die myself than kill another human.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This is a standard defense called the gay panic defense. It has legitmate uses, but it can be abused. It is used when the defendant goes into a psychological panic because something the victim did caused them to panic that they themselves might be a homosexual.

dante1w

Banned
    Years
  • This makes me sick too. :( :( What if someone is gay huh ?? Does one choose if he's born gay or not ? Even if he does, what's wrong with it ?? If someone's gay, does it make him immoral, in-human, or not wourthy of life ? Damn it !!

How a person lives is not the buisness of other people. If everyone understands that, racism wouldn't exist. We could lie a fruitful and happy life where one's biology doesn't change his humanity. It's just disgusting how someone could kill another person just cause how he looks or thinks !!

Besides, only a crazy person would choose to do a horrible thing and live with it his whole life rather than just back off and live his own. :( :(

This really is sad. Murders and death os young children happens everyday, yet it remains depressing when a 15 year old is brutely slaughtered, regardless of the reason. :( :( :'(

Years
  • "He did this out of heat of passion," the lawyer said.

Right... if you say so. They will take any angle to win.

I hate to be a buzz kill, but people are killed all over the world daily because of their belief, sex, race, sexual orientation and so on. It is shocking we live in a world in which this all happens; it sickens me.

This is a sad story.​

dante1w

Banned
    Years

• Right... if you say so. They will take any angle to win.

I hate to be a buzz kill, but people are killed all over the world daily because of their belief, sex, race, sexual orientation and so on. It is shocking we live in a world in which this all happens; it sickens me.

This is a sad story.

Yes it is. Very un-understandable how someone could kill another only for the way they think. Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, makes someone deserve death. That's why i'm the first person who would battle against death row's. Even if someone has cause a lot of death, it's god's job, and his job only, to decide who deserves death, not a 14 year old who hardly has any experience in life, then decides to kill his classmate cause he's gay.

Even if a fully sane grownup feels hatred towards someone because of his
    Captain Fabio said:
    belief, sex, race, sexual orientation

.. That's no reason to kill someone, nor gione the right to choose who gets to live and who doesn't :( :( :(

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So in other words if you're gay and you make unwanted advances against someone who didn't want them they can kill you with a gun.

Excuse me while I go make a sign.

That's not what happens at all. Even if you successfully argue the gay panic defense, you don't walk free. All it does is argue that defendant did not premeditate the killing, so it becomes second degree murder or homicide depending on the circumstances.

Years
  • Made some sorta creepy advances?
    Explain it to him that you're not his kind, go to a teacher or something.
    He fails to understand it? beat it to him. No, don't throw something and leave him bleeding - something that will make him understand. I'm intolerant and completely anti-violent, but I did it to someone in middle school who tried to make who knows what on me. He did that to other people as well, so something good came out of it since he never bothered anyone again.
    But killing? Ok, that's when you pass the line.

But seriously, OP and some people here make it sound worse than it should be.

Back