• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Underated/Overlooked/Overated Game

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
Years
  • Most Underated/Overlooked/Overated Games

In your opionon, what are the most underated/overlooked/overrated games?

For me its:

Underated: - Beyond Good and Evil (excellent game all around)
    - Grandia 2 (love this game)
    - Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO (its not too underrated, but could be much more)

Overlooked: - Ninja Gaiden (proberly the best game for Xbox right now)
    - The Breath of Fire series (its enjoyed by alot of RPG fans)

Overrated: - Halo 2 (without a doubt its definatly Halo 2, but at the same time lives up to its hype)
    - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Its a great game, but too overrated)

There are plenty others, but I was just naming a few.

Last edited:

Burne Starcofski

The RPG Wanderer & Ghost
    Years
  • I'd say for me it'd be...

-Underrated
    ~~Fable (It's great, and so well thought out.)

-Overrated
    ~~Halo 2 (I agree)
    ~~Fable (I don't see what's so bad about it...)

-Overlooked
    ~~Steel Batallion (Don't be stopped by the price tag!)
    ~~Amazing Island (Round here it's been rented out for 3 months straight!)
    ~~Civilization 3 (Haven't heard too much from anyone, but it's a great strategy game.)

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    The most overlooked game ever has got to be Halo 2. I mean come on, it only sold over 2.5 million units and made over $125 million in sales on the first day and was the biggest entertainment event in history for it's first day. Back to reallity, I don't think Halo 2 was overrated. Now, GTA: San Adreas I thought might have been a little too overrated. I never played it, but I think it has the most boringest concept ever. I would think it would get repeative in a few minutes, for me at least.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    Burne Starcofski said:
    I'd say for me it'd be...

-Underrated
    ~~Fable (It's great, and so well thought out.)

-Overrated
    ~~Halo 2 (I agree)
    ~~Fable (I don't see what's so bad about it...)

-Overlooked
    ~~Steel Batallion (Don't be stopped by the price tag!)
    ~~Amazing Island (Round here it's been rented out for 3 months straight!)
    ~~Civilization 3 (Haven't heard too much from anyone, but it's a great strategy game.)
    how can fable be underrated and overrated? and if a game's rented out for 3 months it's not really overlooked is it? oh well

i think that the most underrated game is... maybe pokemon? a lot of people think of it as a piece of crap game but haven't even given it a chance.
    the most overrated game is wind waker, a lot of people love that game, but i really can't stand it.
    and i think viewtiful joe is somewhat overlooked.

PikaPal

Ghost Type Master
    Years
  • Overrated: definetly Halo. Its fun, but come on, it gets boring!
    Overlooked: gallop racer. I mean, its awesome! you get to raise and race and train your own horses!
    Underrated: gallop racer again

Suz

Ta-daaa~!
    Years
  • Overaited: like PikaPal, Halo/Halo 2, I've never played it, 'cause it's 'T' X3 but I don't really like all this talk about it

Overlooked: I say r/b/y nobody apreseates those games anymore :(

Undrated: Animal Crosing

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • rsgh5 said:
    how can fable be underrated and overrated? and if a game's rented out for 3 months it's not really overlooked is it? oh well

i think that the most underrated game is... maybe pokemon? a lot of people think of it as a piece of crap game but haven't even given it a chance.
    the most overrated game is wind waker, a lot of people love that game, but i really can't stand it.

With the rest of the pokemon-hating world, pokemon is definatly underrated in some aspects its a excellent game, but its sometimes gets shunned because for the simple fact that its "pokemon" and its often steriotyped to be kiddie.

And yes Halo/Halo 2 is rated M, just really because of the blood involved and Alien themes I guess.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Overrated:
    - Halo/Halo2
    - Fable
    - Grand Theft Auto 3/ViceCity/San Andreas
    - Playstation 2 (hey I know its a system, but meh, its overrated because people describe it as perfect when its far from it)

Underrated:
    - Pokemon (especially Red and Blue)
    - Starcraft/Brood War (people put it done because of its graphics when its practically the national past-time of Korea XD)
    - Gamecube (not a kiddy system and not a bad system due to its lack of DVD-playability =/)

Overlooked:
    - Pokemon Puzzle League (oh noes another Pokemon game mooching off the franchise)
    -Super Mario RPG (those who know me would have been expecting this)
    -Dreamcast (OMG A SEGA'S' CONSUL!!!1! ITS MUST BE GOINGS TO FAILS!!!111!!! WTF)

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • I agree, of all the systems/portables that failed in the past (Neo-geo pocket, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn etc). I think that Dreamcast was the most overlooked system that Sega just had to drop, it had so much potenial and was still young. Dreamcast would proberly be able to overthrow PS2 if it was still around (but good luck finding one anywhere, because the chances of finding a used one is like winning the lottery XD).

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Shadow said:
    Overrated:
    - Playstation 2 (hey I know its a system, but meh, its overrated because people describe it as perfect when its far from it)
    I absoulty agree with that statment. People say the PS2 has better hardware than the XBox and Gamecube. No. Well, maybe Gamecube, not sure, but not the XBox.
    Shadow said:
    - Gamecube (not a kiddy system and not a bad system due to its lack of DVD-playability =/)
    That's the old reason why people overlook the Gamecube. Now it's no online play. No online play = Dead console to people.:(
    LiquidThunder said:
    I think that Dreamcast was the most overlooked system that Sega just had to drop, it had so much potenial and was still young. Dreamcast would proberly be able to overthrow PS2 if it was still around (but good luck finding one anywhere, because the chances of finding a used one is like winning the lottery XD).
    Actually, the reason Sega dropped the Dreamcast was because in Japan, the PS2 ruled over the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was very popular and not overlooked. When the PS2 came out, it was. The reason, no DVD playback. If Sega would have included that, I think the PS2 wouldn't stand a chance. That's the only reason people switched from Dreamcast to PS2 in Japan.

Castrainer

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2006
    -Underated
    ~Tales of Symphonia [9,0 is kinda low for it~]
    ~Kirby AirRide [6,0?! Have they really played it?]
    ~Pkmn Colosseum [7,5 isnt enough...]

-Overlooked
    ~Didnt Really Get it~

-Overated
    ~GTA: San Andreas [Its not THAT good...]
    ~Halo 2 [Its not 10 too...]

Carlito-san

Wooo! I'm from South Park!
    Years
  • Underrated
    Paper Mario 2

Overlooked
    Tak 2(great platformer)

Overrrated
    PS2(shadow,the gamecube has better graphics that the PS2)

Also,in Japan,there is this"Ique"where its a GC that plays DVDs.NA doesnt get it.

Kenta-kun

死神
    Years
  • Halo2 & Halo are both extrememly over-rated games. While they are fun for a while, they don't have much that other FPS games don't have. Half-Life 2 is a better game; heck, I consider Metroid Prime 2 to be better, in the single-player department.
    Also, I consider the Xbox to be an overrated console; It's good, but I find its exclusive game selection to be somewhat lacking.

As for overlooked, I'd have to say the PS1 game Thousand Arms. AWESOME rpg. Surpassed only by ToS in my books.

Burne Starcofski

The RPG Wanderer & Ghost
    Years
  • rsgh5 said:

(Sorry it took me so long to get back.)

Fable is Underrated in that it isn't given a score worthy of it. I think it's perfect, but others apparently don't. As for being overrated, that's because it's M for Teen content. But I might be wrong, since I still have yet to beat it. As for being Overlooked on A.I., I say that because very, VERY few people within 40 miles of my town even heard of it.

As for the last three, Agree, Agree, Can't pass a Judgement.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    billybob said:
    Underrated
    Paper Mario 2

Overlooked
    Tak 2(great platformer)

Overrrated
    PS2(shadow,the gamecube has better graphics that the PS2)

Also,in Japan,there is this"Ique"where its a GC that plays DVDs.NA doesnt get it.

Evidently, you have never played any PS2 games.

PS2 wasn't overrated in the least. In fact, the PS2 graphics were the standard that the other two systems went by when they made their graphics engines.

Actually, it has the best graphics out of the three systems and that is because of the discs. The GCube and XBox both run on discs that allow for some of the best graphics imaginable. The drawback is that their games do allow those graphics, but the games like that are often short, unless you use multiple discs. This is because the most you will ever get out of their discs is 2-4 GB of space.

PS2 DVDs can run up to 8 GB if they're Dual-Layered. Otherwise, they go up to 4 GB, which is currently the max for XBox (which is incompatible with DL technology) and GCube (which uses different discs anyway).

Thusly, while they can have similar graphics, PS2 has much longer games because of the disc space. Look at Xenosaga. It has EIGHT HOURS of movies and cinematics in the game. And there's STILL over 30 hours of gameplay, not including the 10 hours I spent on the card game...

The Ique is an add-on to the GCube that plays DVD Movies. They need DVD games in order to keep up with the PS2's and XBox's capabilities.

That's my rant of the day.

Fable is M rated because you can get married and have... ahem... kids... Then you can kill your wife and repeat the above as many times as you wish. Also you can kill whoever you come across too.

As for me, the most overlooked game I think of is Disgaea. It's so awesome and part of the only series of games in existence that lets you level up into the thousands, without using a Stat System. Plus the story is freaking hilarious! It's a shame it wasn't advertised very much, otherwise they might still sell it here... Lots of Tactics RPG fans missed out on a great game because of that...

Last edited:

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
  • Underrated
    Metroid Prime 2 (9.5 is good but I thiought it deserved more cus it is probably the best game I've ever played XD.)
    Viewtiful Joe (Just alot of fun to play XD)
    Pokemon Colosseum (Well we all now why. 7.5 is just too low)

I have more

Overlooked
    Mario Golf TT (People dont play it cus they dont like golf. I dont but Ive played it and its a pretty cool game.)

Overrated
    Halo/Halo 2

Pokemon_Veteran

Back