• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents reaction?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2012
    Have you ever told your parents that you are still watching Pokemon, or did they found out by them self? Did they make jokes about that, or did they seriously told you to grow up? My parents don't know that i watch Pokemon, and i'm not afraid of telling that to them (they would just find that a childish).

Staff Edit: Since this is in PG now, let's broaden it some! Don't just talk about watching, but also playing the games, reading the manga, playing the trading card game, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    They know it... I have been watching since like the longest time in my life.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • I only tell my closest friends and my siblings that I like pokemon.

Oh, and my parents have never noticed that I am a big fan and they haven't noticed me on these forums.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I tell my friends and such that I watch it just because they know who I am and that I do things like this, but my parents can never know. EVER. My brother knows and he's cool with it, he even discusses it with me sometimes for fun, but my parents would think I'm such a loser especially since I'm off to uni in a few months xD I'm way too scared to tell them paha. I have to pause the videos or turn the screen around whilst they're in the room - it can't give off a good impression! xD

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    My mom frequents my room quite often and usually catches me watching Pokemon, movies mostly. I've always watched it as a kid, so my parents probably don't care, though my dad would definitely judge me if he did find out. As far as I know, he doesn't know. My brother leaves me alone for the most part, but he sometimes watches it with me whenever he feels like it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    I'm pretty sure my dad would care if I didn't make up for it by having a busy social life. Nonetheless, I still refuse to talk about it around him.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • For me, I THINK my father knows I watch, but he probably doesn' t know it' s in an addictive manner. I personally NEVER tell my parents anything about me, NOTHING. I fail an exam, I get a full mark, something remarkable happening... whatever, I don't tell them. I just hate taking to them. So, I never told them I watched and I don't even care. My mother never knows. My father only caught me watching one episode on my DVD Player and his reaction was "Hey, isn't that Pokemon?" I just nodded and he simply left....no comments.

So I don't think they really find it disturbing, because they know how Pokemon affected our childhood long ago. My brother for an instance knows I am a pokemon addict, and he was quite interested when I told him. He kept asking stuff about how the series is going, what happened to some characters etc...

Believe it or not I even told my whole class...YES. I like telling them I am quite a fan and they CAN'T say anything against me, especially since I can debate them to death. Even the bullies or aristocrats of the class can't really judge me...

Ironic? I tell the whole class and my parents don't know a thing.. . >.<

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Pokemon

Hmm, let's see... Last year and year before, I told my mom I wanted Pokemon White(2011), and Pokemon Soul Silver(2010) for my birthday and her response was "You still playing Pokemon? :O" XD

Oh and she did get me a Pokemon Soul Silver(2010) and Pokemon Black(2011) for my birthday lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I don't let my parents into my daily life, but even if they did know I wouldn't really care. I've been playing/watching Pokemon ever since I was five years old, if they were to laugh at me for still enjoying it that's like me laughing at them for watching Roseanne or other classic shows on TV. My interests are my own and they are only supposed to please myself. Plain and simple =)

Years
  • Mine don't care. Infact had I even caught my mom humming [my favourite song] "Unbeatable". Listening to music and watching episodes with an open door like a sir.
    My friends don't know though. Maybe one, but I don't think that he understands that I am obsessed with it!
    Great topic idea, by the way.

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
    Years
  • Hmm, let's see... Last year and year before, I told my mom I wanted Pokemon White(2011), and Pokemon Soul Silver(2010) for my birthday and her response was "You still playing Pokemon? :O" XD

Oh and she did get me a Pokemon Soul Silver(2010) and Pokemon Black(2011) for my birthday lol

Exact same thing here!!! My grandmother laughed very hard when I opened my presents because she was the one who bought me my first gameboy and yellow version to start with and now, 12 years later I had the same excited " woooow I love pokemon so much" look :P
    My mom just rolled her eyes...(pfff she doesn't understand a thing about pokemon)

There are also times when I am supposed to be studying behind my ever -closed door (i'm having my finals so I really have to study). When she enters she finds me watching for the 10million time "that old pokemon movie with the purple hypertrophic cat and its psuchological problems " as she likes to call it since we first saw it together.
    (yep, that's my mum and the hypertrophic cat is Mewtwo :P)

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
    Years
  • Seeing as I'm kind of in college, paying for my own tuition, paying for my own food, paying for my own rent, and paying for all of my own recreational entertainment I think their interest in how I spend my time is irrelevant to me.

Years
  • My mother knows, she wasn't very surprised since i was just as obsessed as a child. occasionally she will make jest but she means no harm in it.

perhaps i just have no shame about the matter, i rock my badges pinned to my purse.

Years
  • Yeah, both my parents know, ahaha. Maybe it's because I have a shirt with a Pokeball on it. Anyway, my mom will sometimes make a joke here and there, but it's all in fun. My dad doesn't really care. He has always had that "to each their own" kind of attitude.

My brothers will sometimes tease be about it, but I grew up with that so it doesn't bother me one bit!

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • My parents both know I still am and always have been a fan of the pokémon series. They don't really seem to mind it at all. They don't see it as an issue that I need to "grow up" or anything silly like that. My older brother also likes pokémon somewhat, but he often makes jokes abou how much I am still into the series, and my younger brother is just as much of a pokémon fan as I am.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I talk to my mom about the games still to this day.

I'm pretty sure she knows I still watch the show too.

She doesn't care. At all.

Back