• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If the legendaries had a gender...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
  • What gender would they have? You can give an explanation if you want. Keep in mind you do not have to list every single legendary haha. As for me, I'll do a complete list. I skipped the ones that already have a gender.

Articuno: Female
    Moltres: Female
    Zapdos: Male
    Mew: Female (it represents an embryo, I can't think of it as male.)
    Mewtwo: Male
    Entei: Male
    Suicune: Female
    Raikou: Male
    Ho-Oh: Female (something about it strikes me as extremely feminine)
    Lugia: Male
    Celebi: Female
    Regirock/Registeel/Regice: Genderless (Genders just don't REGIster with these ones.)
    Groudon: Male
    Kyogre: Female
    Rayquaza: Female (anything serpentine is feminine to me xD)
    Jirachi: Male (cute as it is, can't see it being female)
    Deoxys: Male
    Azelf: Male
    Mesprit: Female
    Uxie: Male
    Dialga: Male
    Palkia: Male
    Giratina: Female
    Darkrai: Male (even though it has ballerina legs and looks like it's wearing a dress)
    Manaphy: Male
    Regigigas: Genderless
    Shaymin: Female
    Arceus: Female
    Victini: Male
    Cobalion: Male
    Virizion: Female
    Terrakion: Male
    Keldeo: Female
    I hate the genies, I won't even mention them.
    Zekrom: Male
    Reshiram: Male
    Kyurem: Female
    Genesect: Genderless (it's too robotic lol)

Phew that's A LOT of legendaries O_o

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    For the most part I agree with you. Some exceptions would be Kyurem and Jirachi. And I have limited knowledge on the whole Arceus situation. Whether it is simply "the God" or "a god" of Pokemon, I do not know. Different religions and/or mythologies could therefore depict Arceus either way, but due to ambiguity, I would say gender-less. I probably shouldn't think too much into it, but too late haha.

And nice regi-pun by the way.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    There is no way that Arceus is female since it used an extreme male voice in the movie. Deoxys was formed when DNA was exposed to a laser. How can it be any gender? Rayquaza should be genderless. Most of these Pokemon should be genderless since there is no way they could be any gender. Giratina? Female? Pshh.. as if. In both formes there is no signs of gender.

Snowdrop

Years
  • There is no way that Arceus is female since it used an extreme male voice in the movie. Deoxys was formed when DNA was exposed to a laser. How can it be any gender? Rayquaza should be genderless. Most of these Pokemon should be genderless since there is no way they could be any gender. Giratina? Female? Pshh.. as if. In both formes there is no signs of gender.

tumblr_m8cru55osK1rtx9gzo1_500.gif

Dude this is just a thread to speculate their gender IF they had one. I don't care about the Pokemon movies really, but I see why watching it would make someone see Arceus as male. Obviously none of them do or will have genders. And those are just my opinions, no need to get cocky, jeez.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I agree with the OP's list, but I think Keldeo and Kyurem would be better suited for being males. Not sure why, but it looks like they could be male to me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Actually, the genies do have genders. Their ingame gender ratio is 100% male.

Personally I kind of wish most legendaries had 50/50 gender ratios like Heatran does. It'd be more interesting, at least! The whole genderless thing makes sense I suppose, but it is a little awkward when it comes to things that aren't amorphous blobs or mechanical creatures, legendary or not. A few would probably have to have set genders, though, most notably the ones that are definitely "one of a kind".

Also, some legendaries have origins correlating to particular genders. For instance, I'd consider the musketeer trio (including Keldeo) all male, since they're based on male characters. Zekrom is based on Yin, which is associated with femininity; Reshiram is based on Yang, which is associated with masculinity. Other than that though I think most of them could really go either way.

Snowdrop

Years
  • PlatinumDude: Yeah, those two were tough to decide. For some reason Keldeo reminds me of Rainbow Dash (really hardcore chick) so that's probably the only reason I consider it female lmao

Uxie does seem really girly, I'm just used to Mystery Dungeon where they call it a 'he.' x3

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2012
    Articuno: Female
    Moltres: Female
    Mew: Female
    Mewtwo: Male (I actually think Mewtwo looks female, but in the anime is has a male voice. So male it is.)
    Ho-Oh: Male
    Regirock/Registeel/Regice: These pokemon don't look like animals, so I can't think of a gender to go with them. They are humanoid (kinda) and have a bulky form, so I guess male?
    Kyogre: Male
    Rayquaza: Female
    Jirachi: Male (I would say female but in the anime they referred to it as male so now I can't see it as anything else.)
    Deoxys: Female
    Azelf: Female
    Uxie: Female
    Giratina: Female
    Darkrai: Female
    Regigigas: It just doesn't look like anything.
    Shaymin: Male
    Arceus: Female
    Virizion: Male
    Keldeo: Female
    Thundurus:
    Tornadus/Thundurus: These actually have gender, they are male.
    Kyurem: Female
    Genesect: Male

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Articuno: Male/Female (Undecided)
    Moltres: Male
    Mew: Male
    Suicune: Male/Female (Undecided, it does have feminine qualities....but it kinda looks male in places too. I mean it has what looks like a beard)
    Celebi: Male
    Regirock/Registeel/Regice: Genderless
    Rayquaza: Male
    Jirachi: Male
    Deoxys: Genderless
    Azelf: Female
    Uxie: Female
    Giratina: Male
    Darkrai: Male
    Shaymin: Male/Female (could go either way with this one)
    Arceus: Genderless (If I had to pick I'd probably go with Male...it just kinda seems like a god pokemon would always be genderless)
    Keldeo: Male
    Kyurem: Male
    Genesect: Genderless

I don't want to come across sexist or anything, that's not my intent. I just honestly feel like most of the legendaries either look male or have been interpreted in the anime/movies in a way that makes me think they're male. Of course Gardevoir looks female and there can be Male Gardevoir. So what gender a pokemon looks like doesn't really seem to have much sway on the reality.

There are some legendaries that really look like they could be both genders. (if they weren't legendaries and were just found in the wild) There aren't many legendaries that absolutely and totally say a particular gender.

Years
  • I agree with a lot of yours :) For me though all the birds and beasts seem male, I'd swap Lugia and Ho-Oh, Kyogre and Rayquaza seem more masculine, Uxie female for some reason lol, swap Palkia and Giratina, Manaphy female, swap Arceus and Victini and also swap Reshiram and Kyurem's genders :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Snowdrop said:
    I hate the genies, I won't even mention them.

They're male anyway.

Most of mine are probably based on looks. I'd go with:

Articuno: female
    Zapdos: male
    Moltres: female
    Mewtwo: male
    Mew: male or female I think... it could suit being 50% either way
    Raikou/Entei: male or female
    Suicune: female
    Ho-Oh/Lugia: male
    Celebi: male or female
    Regirock/Registeel/Regice: genderless
    Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza: male
    Jirachi: male
    Deoxys: genderless
    Uxie: female
    Mesprit: female
    Azelf: male
    Dialga/Palkia/Giratina: male
    Darkrai: male
    Manaphy: male
    Regigigas: genderless
    Shaymin: male or female
    Arceus: male
    Victini: male or female
    Cobalion: male
    Terrakion: male
    Virizion: female
    Keldeo: male
    Zekrom/Reshiram: male
    Kyurem: male
    Genesect: genderless

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I kind of thought that Keldeo was always a female, because it reminds me of a pony :x

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Articuno = Female.
    Zapdos = Male.
    Moltres = Male (Most Fire Types have more of a chance of being male).
    Mew = Definitely Male.
    Mewtwo = Definitely Male.
    Entei = Male.
    Suicune = Female.
    Raikou = Male.
    Ho-Oh = Definitely male.
    Lugia = Female (Doesn't look male).
    Celebi = Definitely female.
    Regirock/Registeel/Regice = How would I know?
    Groudon = Male.
    Kyogre = Female.
    Rayquaza = Male (Snakes look male in every way to me).
    Jirachi = Female.
    Deoxys = Female.
    Dialga = Male.
    Palkia = Female.
    Giratina = Female.
    Arceus = Male.
    Mesprit = Female.
    Azelf/Uxie = Male.
    Darkrai = Male.
    Manaphy = Female (Or it probably wouldn't be able to breed Phione).
    Regigigas = Genderless.
    Shaymin = Female.
    Victini = Male.

Not mentioning other Gen V legendaries because I dislike them.

Snowdrop

Years
  • Actually, the genies do have genders. Their ingame gender ratio is 100% male.

Your signature has PUPPIES lawl omg

Anyways...

Huh, I never knew that! I always assumed they were genderless because I never paid attention to them. After taking a look at their new ugly-ass forms (and apparently its original form if its arms are uncrossed) I assumed Tornadus was portrayed as feminine because it looks to be wearing a bra. But obviously the rest of it is too masculine and it's voided out xD

Spr_5b2_641T.png

The forms might have had some nice potential if the originals weren't so damn horrendous (SORRY for the rant xP)

EDIT: Woops ignore this apparently all of them have this feature

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • Articuno: Female
    Moltres: Male
    Mew: Female
    Regirock/Registeel/Regice: Genderless
    Rayquaza: Male
    Jirachi: Female
    Deoxys: Genderless
    Azelf: Male
    Uxie: Male
    Giratina: Male
    Darkrai: Male
    Phione: Female
    Shaymin: Female
    Arceus: Male
    Victini: Female
    Keldeo: Male
    Zekrom: Female
    Kyurem: Genderless
    Genesect: Male

My personal fanon is that most legendaries can be either male or female, but those are what each legendary species as a whole most seems like to me.

And yes, I think Phione is a legendary. Deal with it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    These are my opinions regarding their genders. In case it's too hard to determine a gender by their appearances alone, I'll try to visualize them as Gijinkas. Of course, I'm skipping those that do have genders.

Legendary Birds: I dont know why, they just seem like they're all male to me.

Mew: At first, my opinion was that mew should look like an Androgynous boy or or a Tomboyish girl, but Snowdrop has a very valid point: Mew is an Embryo. At this stage of life, all humans are female. In the mother uterus, the first stage of life is the Embryo being molded in a basic shape, and the information for this basic shape is guarded inside the mother's DNA, which means that this basic shape is that of a female being. Only in later stages of life does the Embryo checks it's own chromosomes, and if they're the equivalent to a male human's chromosomes, then it starts developing as a male. What does this mean is that at the start of their lifes, everyone is female, and only later some of us become male. But anyway, as an Embryo, I think Mew should be female.

Mewtwo: I always thought of Mewtwo as male, even before seeing the movie. What really defines Mewtwo's gender however, in my opinion, is whether you see him as simply an enhanced clone of Mew (in which case he would too be an Embryo, albeit a modified one, and therefore a female) or as an adult form of Mew, whereupon his gender would be, well, whatever you think, and as stated above, I believe he is male.

Legendary Beasts: Same as the birds, they all just seem to be male to me.

Lugia: Although I believe that there are more than one Lugia, and they could be male or female, as an indivindual, I see Lugia more as a male.

Ho-Oh: Same as Lugia.

Celebi: Hmmm... well it depends. I can imagine Celebi being either male or female, although to tell the truth, only it's shiny form seems female to me. So I'll say both

Legendary Golems: The golems are hard to say. I can't determine their gender by their appearances, and trying to make Gijinkas of them would't help, as it would be like humanizing a rock. They have no defining features that could be integrated in a Gijinka design. It's hard to try to make a humanization of something that has no human characteristics whatsoever, specifically a face, which other mineral pokémon such as glalie, geodude and heck, even magnemite have (in case of magnemite, it's single eye is enough). Note that the three pokémon I cited are of the same type as the Golems. I'll have to do what you guys have already done and classify them as genderless.

Weather Trio: As simple pokémon it's hard to determine. As seen in the anime, they apparently don't have the same human-like intelligence as other pokémon, and seen to be nothing more than irrational beasts doing nothing more than instinct tells them to, which, apparently, is increasing their domain and destroying things, and you don't ask yourself whether the vultures waiting for your death are male or female. If I try to make them as Gijinkas, I'll have to say that their bodies remind me of some kind of armor, and I would see them all as knights, so I guess to me they're male.

Jirachi: I can't see him as anything other than male, I dunno why. It's probably because when we think of a random person of unspecified gender, we imagine it as if it were a man, a wrong assumption carved into human mind for eternity.

Deoxys: The thing with Deoxys, is that... well. Did you watch the movie? Remember that that losangular light ended up being a Deoxys? The thing is that Deoxys in itself isn't a pokémon, but rather an alien race, and he only turned into a pokémon as we see him in the games after absorbing pokémon DNA, and considering that his true form appears to be made of glitter, I'd say he is an either asexual or hermaphrodite life form. So, I'll have to say genderless.

Lake Guardians: Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie. To me, it seems only natural. Also, that's how they are determined in Mistery Dungeon.

Creation Trio: Hmmm... That's hard to say. Or rather, I could easily say male, but that would be by the same reason I see Jirachi as male. Considering that they're like the pokémon world equivalent to Angels (being created by God to shape the universe), I guess I can say genderless.

Darkrai: Male. Same as Jirachi.

Manaphy: Female, because it looks like one to me. Although, there was a male Manaphy in Mistery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky.

Regigigas: Same as the golems, obviously.

Shaymin. Going by appearance, it's Land Forme looks female to me, while it's Sky Forme looks male.

Arceus: Genderless, simply because God is not supposed to have any gender. Although I can totally see that hair of his as a big cool beard, or a "Marge Simpson" 'do.

Victini: I've never seen him on any movie or game that might show me any glimpse of his personality, so I'll have to say male, and unlike jirachi, it's because I really can't see him as female.

Legendary Musketeers: Male, because they're based on male characters.

Zekrom: I'd say female because he is based on the Yin, but eff that, he looks too masculine to me. Male!

Reshiram: Male, it looks like one to me, plus Yang and all that.

Kyurem: Dude's an effing corpse, an empty one in fact (Zekrom and Reshiram came out of him). Sure some of you might disagree with that, but I agree with this theory, so I'll say genderless for the same reasons as Shedinja.

Meloetta: Female, well, duh.

Keldeo: Same as Musketeers, 'cus he's one.

Genesect: I disagree with people saying genderless just because he was modified. He's an android sure, which means he retains the gender he had from before alterations (remember, gender and sex are two different things. he could lose reproductory organs and still retain it's gender). I'll have to say male, because I can't see him as a female.

Well, those were my opinions, with the important parts highlighted for those who have the "tl;dr" mentality.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Um, let's see.
    Arct - M
    Zapd - M
    Molt - F
    Mewt- M
    Me - F
    Rai -M
    Ent -M
    Sui - F
    Lug - M
    Ho - F
    Cel - F
    Roc - M
    Ice - F
    Ste - M
    Kyo - F
    Gro - M
    Ray -M
    Jir - M
    Deo - M
    Ux - F
    Me - F
    Az -F
    Di - M
    Pal - F
    Heat - M
    Reg - M
    Gir - M
    Cres - F
    Man - F
    Dar - M
    Shay - F
    Arc - M
    Vic - M
    Cob - M
    Ter - M
    Vir - F
    Tor - M
    Thun - M
    Resh - F
    Zek - M
    Lan - M
    Kyu - F
    Kel - F
    Mel - F
    Gen - M

Last edited:
    Years
  • well personally i think that some legendarys like arceas could be a girl or a boy. it looks like it could be a boy or a girl but it did talk in a deep voice so maybe it is a boy...

Years
  • but here are my thoughts
    Articuno:f
    Zapdos:m
    Moltres:f
    Mewtwo:m
    Mew:f
    Raickou:m
    Suicune:f
    Lugia:f
    Ho-oh:f
    Celebi:f