• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#BaldForBieber - 4chan wins again.

Zet

Years
Well played, 4Chan. The internet's deepest rabbit hole of filth and violence has again made headlines for doing something quasi-good.

Last night, a group of users from the popular image-based message board devised a campaign around the notion that Justin Bieber had developed cancer and was forced to shave his head. The pranksters covered their ground by developing a plethora of fake tweets, including one supposedly from Bieber himself, and the fake headline quickly started to make real waves across social networks.

On any normal day this would be considered a win for the trolls, but the story doesn't stop here. Being the passionate types they are, some fans were so shocked by the news their favorite pop star had fallen ill that they decided to shave their heads to show support and thus, #BaldForBieber was born:

et_tweet_jb_cancer-beliebers.jpeg

Even as I write this story explaining how it is all a hoax, countless Bieber fans are pouring out their emotions and sympathies over Twitter with the hashtag #BaldForBieber. The internet believes the lie and until that changes, it's likely many more young music lovers will find themselves on the receiving end of a new haircut.

Cancer is nothing to joke about, and we definitely do not want to encourage more people to follow the example set by this group, but it does make our cynical hearts happy to see so many young people quick to show support. Even if the cause for their interest in fighting cancer was a lie, their desire to see it end is real, and that could lead to further awareness down the line.

Source: http://www.underthegunreview.net/20...ancer-scare-fans-shave-heads-to-show-support/

I have to say that this was a job well done, and I wonder how Bieber will respond to this.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
FWIW, the two girls pictured had already shaved their heads for other reasons. The text is photoshopped. I haven't seen evidence that anyone actually did this for that reason. :[ While I'm all for trolling sheeple, the cancer bit is a tad wrong. :s

Zet

Years
FWIW, the two girls pictured had already shaved their heads for other reasons. The text is photoshopped. I haven't seen evidence that anyone actually did this for that reason. :[ While I'm all for trolling sheeple, the cancer bit is a tad wrong. :s
[hd]xs_CGUVW1Xk[/hd]

I really hope this is better for you, proving that people actually have shaved their head.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Shaving your head for Justin bieber is already embarrassing, but how dumb would you feel when you find out it isn't true? That poor people, oh my god. Still, it's nice that they stood up for cancer, I guess.
this is the funniest thing i've read all week though

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I..I wasn't saying nobody had done it, I was expressing discontent at not seeing a legit video. And the guy in the first video says he was just acting in the comment, and the other video is a possible shop. :s

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
This is really only funny because of how blindly people idolize celebrities, lol.

Actually shaving your head for someone because they have cancer, when they have no idea you exist q__q

Tbh, I can really appreciate and respect when people shave their heads because a family member, best friend, significant other, etc is diagnosed with cancer, but a celebrity lol...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
As funny as this is, I think it's cool they did something like this to show support. But how unfortunate, yet also fortunate, for them that it's actually just a hoax. At least they don't have to worry about their favorite pop star dying!

Ice Car

Banned
Years
I find it hilarious that all the fans were this stupid. It's nice of them to do this, but really? REALLY?! Shaving your head for someone you will never, ever meet in your entire life? They probably wouldn't do it if their best friend got cancer, but if some singer they idol got cancer, things are different.
I am a cynical and rude person, I know.
lol.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
Dang...how naive can they get O_o
Even though the whole prank was well-plotted, it shouldn't be THAT convincing.
Are Bieber fans that mad? This shows how loyal they are...but how naive and kinda idiotic they can get :(

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I feel more like they stood up for Bieber having cancer rather than cancer itself, to be honest. If someone in their school had cancer, then they probably wouldn't have shaved their heads. That's not to say some might have, but I'm pretty sure a majority wouldn't. I feel kinda bad for them...then again, I spent a long time growing out my hair and have no intentions of chopping it off ever again. I can show my support other ways, lol. That may sound selfish, but eh, I like my hair. I do other things, like Relay For Life, wearing pink marching gloves, ribbons, and such. But like I said, I just think they did it for Bieber support, not cancer awareness support.

Unrelated but still sorta relevant, my paw paw had cancer and lost his hair, but it grew back and even after radiation and chemo, he still grew more hair back than my dad has. Thought that was funny...lol

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
What Syndian said.

Support for cancer patients is always good and deeply appreciated, but are they really doing it cause of cancer or because of the one particular person who may have gotten cancer? Probably it's only cause it's Justin Bieber.

Sometimes it's more about what do you intend to do as you show support that matters the most... Personally, just spending time with that and being there is more important than whatever outward physical appearance changes, such as shaving or wearing particular color shirts.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I... don't know what to feel about this. While it's good that it raised cancer awareness or whatever, it kinda didn't in my eyes - it raised Bieber awareness. So maybe I'm just being grumpy here or whatever but I'm kinda sad that it takes something bad to happen to a celebrity before anyone actually cares. I don't even find it that funny, either - it's embarrassing for the people who did it, especially when they did it for no reason at all, because honestly as I said I doubt many of them really care about cancer. Although I question how useful it is, it's nice to see people raising awareness for cancer and all that, but I really don't think that's what's happening here.

That said though, I think I've said before that I don't feel cancer needs further awareness anyway so I'm probably automatically biased here. d:

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Shaving your head for Justin bieber is already embarrassing, but how dumb would you feel when you find out it isn't true? That poor people, oh my god. Still, it's nice that they stood up for cancer, I guess.
this is the funniest thing i've read all week though

How is it embarrassing if you shave your head for someone? even if you don't know them, it's just showing sympathy. Even if it wasn't for Justin bieber, and it was any other person, weather famous or not, It's a nice thing to do to show care to someone. But yeah, the people who shaved their head to find out he doesn't even have cancer, that would sad.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I've always hated pop culture and celebrities, but my biggest issue here is 4chan. It truly is disheartening they'd go so far as to lie about someone being diagnosed with cancer for the sake of their own entertainment, which is never a laughing matter. Still, whether it's for cancer as a whole or just a particular person, it's nice to see fans of Justin would go the...extra mile to show support regardless of it being a hoax. (Even though I don't understand why anyone would shave their heads instead of doing something more productive.)
Wow, thats hilarious. Nice one 4chan.

Awesome. This is awesome. AWESOME.

Love it.

Oh god, this is actually hilarious. I want to see some of the reactions of those that shaved their heads when they found out it's bollocks.
Sickening. Why anyone would support 4chan's acts is something I'll never understand.

Years
I've cut my hair for people who had cancer, people I'd never met and won't ever meet. There was (still is?) a program that uses hair to make wigs for kids who have gone through chemo and lost their hair. I didn't shave my head, of course, but the sentiment is still the same so it makes perfect sense to me that someone would shave their head like this to show support.

So the trolls tricked some people into showing that they're better people than the trolls.

As for the idea that these fans did this just because it was Bieber... well, yeah. They pretty much did. Is that bad that they did? I dunno. I like to think it's the kind of thing that would help them open up to the possibilities of helping other people. It's like how someone never cares about cancer... then someone in their family gets cancer and they become a big advocate of cancer research. Are you gonna criticize them because they didn't start until they were affected by it or are you just gonna be glad that they are now doing something good?

Back