• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Critical Captures

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    While chances are they will make a return, it's still worth asking! Would you like critical captures to return in these games (the one click and then capture the Pokemon without the struggle thing)? If so, do you think the mechanics will change so that you never fail to capture a Pokemon which has the "critical capture" sound/action? Or do you think with a larger amount of total Pokemon available to capture, that it'll become even easier to critical capture Pokemon (considering that it's based on how many different species of mons you capture, iirc)? Or maybe if the chances of the critical captures was based on the species itself - if it's a rock mon it's a lot easier because you can aim easy, or if it's a water type a lot harder because it's swimming, and so on like that? Share your thoughts!

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    just because it shakes once, doesn't mean they can't break free

I had a Deino break free from a Critical Capture once

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I've never really thought too much about critical captures. I do like that they only get one chance to break it so your chance to catch is higher, though. Nothing is more annoying than them breaking out at the last possible moment. D:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Hm... it would be interesting. It's very likely that the Critical Captures would make a return to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. While it does, it would be good to see some improvements with the Critical Capture.

Depending on the type of ability a Pokémon has, it can have the chance of evading a Poké Ball, while at the same time, some abilities would have a downside effect like being able to get caught more easily. It would be interesting to see something like that implemented with the Critical Capture.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I have zero problems with critical captures and expect that they'll be in the next games too. The only thing I'd wonder would be whether they'll change the way in which they're figured. I guess I get what they're trying to accomplish by tying the chance to the number of pokemon caught out of the pokedex, and I can see a tenuous justification for that, but it still seems a bit arbitrary. I'm not quite sure what else they could tie it to though.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I never had a critical capture in Gen V to be honest so I can't say for sure if I'd like it back or not hah.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I'd like it to return but with a new formula on when it activates, it was so infrequent in Gen V I've only seen it twice on B/W and I have never seen it on B2/W2. The critical capture shouldn't be incredibly rare, it should just be a seldom occurrence since it's nothing game breaking.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I never had much luck with Critical Captures. Or any luck for that matter. So whether it's there or not, wouldn't matter to me. If it is though, then I strongly feel like it could use a better accuracy rate so that it isn't such a rare occurrence.

But really, just once would I have liked to have had a Critical Capture, but apparently I'm just not that lucky. ;-;

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • I'd like to see a return, while I didn't have much luck with em in White, I seemed to get much more in White 2, heck managed to string at least 4 critical captures in a row in one area, but I agree there should be extra mechanics to it that helps affect it's chances of happening and chances of working.

Also I just like the fact the ball makes the noise of a Jet plane.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I never had much luck with Critical Captures. Or any luck for that matter. So whether it's there or not, wouldn't matter to me. If it is though, then I strongly feel like it could use a better accuracy rate so that it isn't such a rare occurrence.

But really, just once would I have liked to have had a Critical Capture, but apparently I'm just not that lucky. ;-;

Funny; I think the contrary becaaaause I'm pretty lucky with them. XD So I thought that the chances should be nerfed~! Then again, if it's a rare occurrence, maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference this time around?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Funny; I think the contrary becaaaause I'm pretty lucky with them. XD So I thought that the chances should be nerfed~! Then again, if it's a rare occurrence, maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference this time around?
    Reading up a bit more on how critical captures work, I'm sort of wrapping my head around the process and calculations that must be done in order to guess the probability of a critical capture. Previously, I didn't realize that the number of Pokémon caught in the PokéDex had had so much of an influence. Which could be a leading factor as to why some players witness a critical capture more than others, depending on how many Pokémon they've caught before. I don't think I ever caught too many Pokémon during my playthroughs of Black and White. At least not a surplus amount anyway.

There seems to be a decent system going for it with how its designed for Black and White and B2W2, but I definitely wouldn't object to a fix with a higher probability rate. :p

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    just because it shakes once, doesn't mean they can't break free

I had a Deino break free from a Critical Capture once

Well yes, but that's what I meant, eliminate the possibility of that, and really make it "critical".

I caught a lot with critical captures in B2, with two in a row at certain times and from my experience I think the species caught should be lowered so more people can experience it. XD; Not everyone wants to catch them all, so making it fairer for the others would be nice too.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I wouldn't notice if they returned or not really. I have only had two critical captures happen and both failed. That's kind of sad since they're supposed to be more likely than shinies, and I've found more shinies than gotten good critical captures lol. This is a feature I think will return, but I won't cry over it if it doesn't.

Back