• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mars One

Gliese

I Drink Nozz-A-La
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
There was a topic before, but it has obviously died since I left, and the project seems much more likely now.

Mars One is a Dutch not-for-profit organization whose goal is to establish a human settlement on Mars in 2023. The first settlement will consist of four people, and be followed up by another four people every two years after that.

The plans on how to achieve this can be found http://mars-one.com/en/mission/summary-of-the-planHere

Since the last topic, the news has become more widespread. The Mars One team has received over a thousand people wanting to volunteer, although official applications will open in a few months.

I didn't send any of the emails, but I personally have been seriously considering applying when the time comes. I'd prefer to be one of the first four, but would be okay with one of the follow-up missions. I may not even be selected, but I'd rather not spend my life having passed up the opportunity and wondering whether I had a chance or not.

What do you guys think? Would you be as willing to sign-up?

Mars One Website

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
No. I like my life on Earth, the planet Ive lived on since birth. I couldnt go if chosen and abandon my family, pets and the people I love, they would likely be so upset that I was leaving. I dont want to take the risk of never seeing them again. Although living on Mars seems cool, I feel like the things I would have to give up aren't worth it just to say I lived on another planet and I'd likely go crazy from missing life on Earth, seeing trees and plants and animals, going to the beach, walks around the neighborhood and feeling the nice cool breeze on my face, things like that that make Earth life pleasant. On Mars, you'd be stuck in a bubble with everything being artificial and I dont think I could live that way, better to let someone who would appreciate it more take my place.

I do think this is cool what they're doing, but I image it being severely difficult and taking a lot of time to fully get used to life off of Earth. I imagine people going crazy due to missing their homes and previous lives, their families and Earth, not to mention various problems that could develop when living on Mars,and Im not sure to me it's worth the risk. Plus it's not like human problems will dissapear, they would simply carry over to Mars.

Plus, looking at the website and their criteria of selection of people, it seems Im inelligable to go anyway

Last edited:
Back