• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: any advice for someone who wants to role play

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • Not sure if this is the right place to ask but... I role play occasionally but never with anyone I don't know... I am very inexperienced with role play... all my Pokémon role play I've done is with friends and family... I don't know how to dive into one on the forums... I am a little intimidated about role playing with new people because everyone role plays differently and no one is the same about role play... and will people be comfortable if I role play with a Pokémon wife??? Since people are all different in role play, that scares me a little... any advice???

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • The Roleplay Corner here has a Rules thread that goes over some tips for roleplaying, such as creating and controlling your character, creating a plot for a new roleplay, etc. It also goes over some very useful terms commonly found in a roleplay environment, such as godmodding and powerplaying. There's also a Roleplayer's Etiquette 101 thread that goes very in-depth with things like godmodding, powerplaying, combat, and characters death, as well as, among other things, how long your posts should be, agreements about things between players and worlds, and interacting with what the GM (Game Master; creator of the roleplay in question) posts or does to the world your characters are playing in.

It's a very long, sometimes boring, sometimes exciting process, learning to roleplay, but it's a really fun thing to do if you're willing to put the time in. I don't roleplay all that much anymore, but when I did, I assure you that I enjoyed doing it very frequently. If those threads don't answer your questions or help you, you could ask Skymin, the Moderator of the Roleplay Corner section. You could also ask other frequenters of the section, such as [supporter]SwiftSign[/supporter] and [supporter]Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers[/supporter].

I hope that helps a little bit? 8)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Antemortem sums it up splendidly <3

If you want to RP on forums, you've got to be prepared to write a lot. That's what we love here! Many people RP online through chat clients with only one or a few lines at a time. Here, we write as if we were making a novel together, pretty much, and every post has to be at least one or two paragraph's in proper English.

As for RPing with a pokémon wife, I think most would probably think that is odd - no offence, just want to prepare you for that. We usually don't RP as ourselves here, but you could create a character based off yourself if you want.

My best advice is to head over to the Roleplay Corner and read some of the RPs there to see how it's done! Skim through a page or two of at least five different RPs by different authors and you'll probably see if it's very different or similar enough to what you are used to.

Also, I know that you like to triple your punctuation, but in your RP posts you should probably not do that since it might confuse other players ;)

Good luck, and if you want help or feel unsure or intimidated in any way, I and the mod and certainly more of the friendly regulars are willing to help you, only a PM away!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Whilst you're in the RP section, post in the discussion thread and join in the conversation - get to know the people who frequent there. It's much more fun joining a roleplay with people you know and feel comfortable interacting with.

Dive in and hopefully we'll see you around! :D

Back