• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cubone

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think it's meant to be like that in the games. Cubone is its own species and evolves into Marowak. The reason it wears a skull as a helmet is a bit puzzling (not to mention grotesque) but either it's just a rumor (even in-game) that it wears the skull of its deceased mother, or its parent somehow dies before a Cubone baby grows up and ventures out into the wild. Thus, you never see Cubone without a skull helmet.

I think it's strange that Kangaskhan never got an official baby prevo - it even has one in its pouch! But it hasn't been given a name, just "Kangaskhan baby". There are similarities between it and Cubone but as it is now, the two are not related. It's fun to theorize though.

Also, there are creepypasta about it. But that's not official.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I do like the fan theories that Cubone is a baby Kangaskhan and that if its mother dies it wears the skull, but it's a bit morbid.

That said , isn't there something about the coding of one of the Missingnos that makes it evolve into a Kangaskhan? Does that theory have something to do with Marowak too?

Cubone and Baby'Khan (as I'm going to call him) do have some small similarities, though not too many at the same time. I am all for the fan theories about it though - They make it somewhat more interesting

If Cubone is a Baby'Khan - How does it hatch with its mother's skull on its head already? 0.o

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    There are a lot of theories around that particular thing in the game, and around the origins of Cubone.

I saw this! Pretty interesting. But also not officially true ^^

Spoiler:

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • @Red's hawt - that's actually pretty poignant. It actually does make sense that Cubone's Skull isn't the right shape for Kangaskhan's head. I'm still not sure I like that theory though. It's just pretty sad to believe. Like more so than the "dead mother skull" theory.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Yes, it's morbid. This is likely why they changed it. Yes, the baby is a different color. This is likely one of the many things they did to change it. The answer to whether Cubone is officially Kangaskhan's child is obvious: no. This is why breeding a Kangaskhan will never yield a Cubone egg.

The real question that needs to be considered is whether Gamefreak originally planned for Cubone to be the child in the beta, and later covered up their tracks.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_%28Generation_I%29

Kangaskhan and Cubone were both coded into the game rather early. Marowak was coded into the game around the same time that pokemon were being coded as finalized evolutionary lines. It's easy to imagine that Marowak was coded later into the game, when they realized they were better off as separate evolutionary lines.

Years
  • The only thing that concerns me is the fact that upon evolving, INSTEAD of evolving into Kangaskan, the Pokemon's head FUSES with the dead Skull creating something entirely different (Marowak).

However, we do have Pokemon that evolve with specific held items...

Back