• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 64 - Here we go again

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

• I'd personally like to think that the Nintendo 64 was even more influential for me when I was growing up. So, the basic point of this thread is to allow us all to talk specifically about the Nintendo 64, and what we can remember, like, or dislike all about it. In case you don't know about the Nintendo 64, I'll give you a brief lowdown:

The Nintendo 64 was released in Japan on June 23, 1996, in North America on September 29, 1996 and in Europe and Australia on March 1, 1997. It was discontinued around the years 2002-2003. It was developed by Nintendo as a 64 bit playing video game console (hence it's given name, 'Nintendo 64'), with it's slogan, "Get N, or get Out!" Arguably, it's one of the best known video game consoles in the world, even today!

So, again, of course, you can talk about all of your experiences with the Nintendo 64 here. These are just questions to bounce some ideas: What do you think about the Nintendo 64? What games did you have for the Nintendo 64, and which ones were your favourite/least favourite? What were some of your memories for the Nintendo 64? Do you still own the Nintendo 64 today? How do you think the Nintendo 64 compares with Nintendo's later systems like, the Nintendo Gamecube, the Nintendo Wii, and the Nintendo Wii U?

Do you have other thoughts you would like to share about the Nintendo 64?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I loved that console. It didn't have any uneeded features that consoles like Wii U and Xbox has today (Wii U GamePad and the Xbox Kinect, for example), and it had a very simplistic design. I've had a lot of games for the Nintendo 64. Few of them are F-Zero, Mario Party, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and Starfox. I still own my N64 (which I keep in my basement), but I just don't have the games, though. I gave them all away to one of my friends a few years ago. xD

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The N64 is my least favourite Nintendo console. The games on it never really clicked with me and I don't like replaying most of them as they have aged very badly. It was quite a important console in the evolution of 3D gaming, but I think the PS1 outclassed it in the end.

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Sep 2, 2013
    I just have a somewhat funny/ironic story to share about my N64.

So when I was younger I bought my N64 that I still use today off my friend at a yard sale for 20 dollars with many games such as Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium 1&2, Mario Cart, Super Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, Manjora's Mask, etc. The funny part of this story is that last week, he missed his N64 so much that he went on Craigslist and just bought the console for 75 dollars. So who was the winner of this situation? :)

Anyways, I'm still making memories on the N64. I still have friends over every weekend, we go down the basement and play Super Smash on the projector. The N64 will never get old for me, but blowing the game cartridges however has gotten very old.

Keizaal

but innocence is gone
    Years
  • I love my '64. We still have our see-through green N64, and it still works! Loved playing Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium, Ocarina of Time, and Super Smash Bros. on it. Out entire family are Nintendo junkies. My mom has bought 1-2 of every console and handheld they have released. (With the exception of Wii U, we are getting one soon! We even have a Wii Mini...) We have a permanent copy of OoT saved on our Wii from the Wii shop, as well as the 3DS "remake". We have Mario 64 DS, and Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl. We've upgraded in games and consoles, but the 64 will hold a special place in my heart. <3

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I'll repeat what I said n the previous thread, but, the N64 games that I've playerd were:

Flying Dragon
    Super Mario 64
    Dr. Mario 64
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Kirby 64
    Pokemon Stadium
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Starcraft 64
    Perfect Dark
    Donkey Kong 64
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Banjo-Kazooie
    F-Zero 64
    Mario Party 3
    Pokemon Snap
    Megaman 64
    Mario Kart 64
    Super Smash Bros

I absolutely adored these games; trying to beat them on Friday and Saturday mornings was always a challenge, but it was sooo satisfying to do. :3 Do you gus remember the msuic from some Nintendo 64 games?

For example:

Kirby... was really intense back then. XD

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Aah, I loved this console and the Crystal Shards! If I remember correctly, that wonderful game was what gat me hooked on the round pink guy. n__n N64 was a huge success for me, and to this day I love pulling the emulator out and playing through some old-fashioned games. It never gets old, and even though the mechanics and graphics aren't up to par with the most recent consoles, you can count on being just as, if not more entertained with this one.Typically, I'd play Crystal Shards, Pokemon Stadium 1/2, Mario Party, Banjo Kazooie, and a ton more. If I had the option to acquire the N64, I would go for it. If anyone hasn't taken this console into consideration, it's more than worth it.

Years
  • I think N64 was a good console with great games like Mario 64, LoZ: Ocarina of time, Super Smash Bros, and Pokemon Snap. At least those are the ones I enjoyed the most.

Superman 64, however... Don't get me started on it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The system was groundbreaking with revolutionary games. It's fingerprints and influence can still be felt today.

It really started the blockbuster trend too.

But, the game library wasn't soo hot. It has some of my all-time favourite games but try to come up with a Top-100 list for the system? Eventually, you'll just be listing random games

Years
  • Ah the Nintendo 64 a system that was in its peak back in the day when it came out. I remember when one day I asked my mom to buy me the Nintendo 64 the day I went to school. When I came back I screamed for my life. My Nintendo 64 was waiting in my living room ready to be unboxed and to start playing with a copy of Mario Party along with it. I had N64 games like Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Paper Mario, Mario Party 3, and others that I couldn't remember.

Emburn

<3
    Years
  • The Nintendo 64 was my first console and really got me into gaming. I remember going beast at Pokemon Puzzle League and the Mario Parties as well as the little mini games in Pokemon Stadium. It wasn't til Recently that I sold it (Dumb decision) but that last thing I had was Pokemon Snap and Super Smash Bros. I think the GameCube was just as good, but underrated

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Yeah, so:

> I played Pokemon Puzzle Leauge. It was hard.
    > I played Pokemon Stadium 2. It was harder than I remember. o-o

Er, honestly, do you guys think that the games for N64 are... a little more challenging than the games for the later systems like the Wii U or 3DS?

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I dunno. A bunch of older games seem as if they were hard for the soul purpose of compensating for being short. As time went on I feel devs started thinking about the experiences themselves.

N64 is probably one of my favorite consoles ever. It had a bunch of solid games, but it seems like there could've been much more too if Nintendo ditched the cartridge.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    All gaming consoles have hard games, and they also have games that are not so hard. Same goes for Nintendo 64. Few of the challenging games that N64 had were, in my opinion, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. ^^" Mario Kart 64 and GoldenEye were probably the easiest.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I thought Dr.Mario was the hardest game I've had until.. I found out how to actually play the game. XD

Speaking of which asdfghjkl; I love the music:

Spoiler:

Do you guys know if the Nintendo 64 had any extra accessories?

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Majora's Mask comes to mind, although I had a lot of trouble with the entirety of the Legend of Zelda franchise, so I don't have much say in that conversation haha. :c Like Perdition stated, all consoles have tough games, and I don't recall the majority of N64 ones being especially difficult.

I don't remember having any accessories myself, but there were a few like the Controller Pak, and Expansion Pak, among others.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There were a lot of accessories for the N64, such as Tilt Pak, GameShark, SharkWire, N64 Passport, GB Hunter, and more. The only accessory I've had was GB Hunter. It had a N64 game at the bottom, and a Game Boy cartridge at the top. It was a Game Boy emulator, so whenever you plugged a GB game into your N64 through this device, you were able to play the game directly on your television. Pretty fun, right? =)

Back