• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So some time ago, back when people were furiously hacking into X/Y's coding, a pair of mysterious moves were found along with X/Y's other secrets (such as Hoopa and the Mega Latis), called Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows. They are apparently both Ground type attacks with 90 Power and 100% accuracy and interesting secondary effects. However, little information about the two moves has been revealed since then. One of the more popular theories at the moment is that these moves belong to future Zygarde forms that have yet to be revealed.

But what do you all think about these enigmatic moves? How will they effect the games?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I posted elsewhere that I saw a picture. The moves belong to Volcanion apparently.

It also knows Light of Ruin.

Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows

Obvious hack; it's Shiny.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I posted elsewhere that I saw a picture. The moves belong to Volcanion apparently.

It also knows Light of Ruin.

Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows

Obvious hack; it's Shiny.

Uh, those moves were hacked into it actually. That what the person who discovered them said.

I think they may have something to do with Zygarde. If it weren't for both of them being ground moves I would even suggest that they are actually proto types of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre's signature moves. Seeing how Primal Kyogre's seems to involve arrows, while Groudon's involve "waves" of earth and fire aka semi molten lava. Actually maybe they are...with the Ground type in both of them being a red-herring.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Uh, those moves were hacked into it actually. That what the person who discovered them said.

I think they may have something to do with Zygarde. If it weren't for both of them being ground moves I would even suggest that they are actually proto types of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre's signature moves. Seeing how Primal Kyogre's seems to involve arrows, while Groudon's involve "waves" of earth and fire aka semi molten lava. Actually maybe they are...with the Ground type in both of them being a red-herring.
    Interesting, I didn't realize they were able to hack moves here.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

um... sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you know Groudon is ground type, right? Wouldn't it make sense for it to have a ground type move then? (IF it was Groudon's move, that is)

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure they're Zygarde's. Lemme explain my theory. Zygarde supposedly keeps both Yveltal and Xerneas in check (despite probably being the least beastly in normal form) Thousand arrows could do something along the lines of hitting flying or levitating pokemon and grounding them; ie hitting Yveltal out of the sky. Thousand waves could do something like lowering grounded pokemon's stats, or keeping them from doing something (I don't fuggin know) ie; keeping Xerneas in check.

If either of those were already confirmed I apologize :U I haven't read anything on it beyond the move names, so this really is just my speculation.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • um... sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you know Groudon is ground type, right? Wouldn't it make sense for it to have a ground type move then? (IF it was Groudon's move, that is)

I was referring to Kyogre actually, seeing how both moves are ground type. So it'll be odd if one of the moves was given to the Water type only Kyogre. Thus my suggestion that they are likely Zygarde's moves, unless GF purposely made them both Ground type moves to throw us off.

@ Polar Spectrum You're right about the effect of Thousand Arrows. Thousand waves keeps the pokemon from escaping, acting as a ground type version of Mean Look, but one that actually does damage.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I'm pretty sure they're Zygarde's. Lemme explain my theory. Zygarde supposedly keeps both Yveltal and Xerneas in check (despite probably being the least beastly in normal form) Thousand arrows could do something along the lines of hitting flying or levitating pokemon and grounding them; ie hitting Yveltal out of the sky. Thousand waves could do something like lowering grounded pokemon's stats, or keeping them from doing something (I don't fuggin know) ie; keeping Xerneas in check.

If either of those were already confirmed I apologize :U I haven't read anything on it beyond the move names, so this really is just my speculation.

I guess you haven't read their descriptions yet:

https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandarrows.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandwaves.shtml

Interestingly, Serebii ONLY lists pokemon that can learn the move by breeding (which is left blank) but do NOT list the section of Pokemon that can learn the move by level up meaning that they KNOW who can learn it by level up but just aren't telling. (otherwise they would just put that section in the page as well and leave it blank as well)

Years
  • Tbh I'm not sure who these moves belong to, I guess Zygarde would make the most sense. I wonder if Volcanion and Hoopa will get revealed until Z or whatever the next game in Kalos is. That would make sense as apparently the next Pokemon movie will feature Primal Groundon and Kyogre, so maybe after that the movie will focus on Volcanion, Hoopa and Zygarde then the moves will be revealed.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I guess you haven't read their descriptions yet:

https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandarrows.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandwaves.shtml

Interestingly, Serebii ONLY lists pokemon that can learn the move by breeding (which is left blank) but do NOT list the section of Pokemon that can learn the move by level up meaning that they KNOW who can learn it by level up but just aren't telling. (otherwise they would just put that section in the page as well and leave it blank as well)

I think you're putting way too much thought into the ulterior motives behind the webpages. Looking at Hydro Cannon, for example, which can only be taught through move tutor, you can see the "learned by breeding" that's blank but not learned by level up. Most likely Serebii screwed up the coding and forgot to make the other kinds of learning disappear.

Years
  • This may have been said, but I have a feeling this is gonna be like Kyurem with Freeze Shock and Ice Burn, where the next games will give us Zygarde with these moves.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Anyone think it's a special Event Zygarde to come (movie?), or one that only knows the moves in the third game?

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Probably would be through an event. Whatever there true purpose, they've got foxy names. I wonder what the animations will be like?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Anyone think it's a special Event Zygarde to come (movie?), or one that only knows the moves in the third game?
    I think it's more likely that it'll be moves for some alternate form of Zygarde, but who knows. Part of me also wonders if they're moves for Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Thousand Waves, while being a Ground move, still kinda fits in with Kyogre being the lord of the sea, and I'm sure Groudon would love a Ground STAB that snipes down Flying/Levitating foes.

WAIT, what if Zygarde gets a Primal form?

Probably would be through an event. Whatever there true purpose, they've got foxy names. I wonder what the animations will be like?
    I really wanna see how they look too. Especially Thousand Arrows.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I hadn't actually read the descriptions of the moves yet - thanks for linking :D

And hey lookit' that, I actually hit one of them right on the head. Scooooore.

Look forward to that though, I want to like Zygarde, as it's the "order pokemon" and the design is pretty ballin' to me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As someone else had said in one of the posts above, both of these moves are for Zygarde, similarly to how Freeze Shock and Ice Burn were exclusive to Kyurem. Of course, they probably wouldn't take the same, exact route with this Pokémon, but formulas would most likely wind up looking slightly alike.

J2a1m1i2e

Moon Princess In Training
    Years
  • I think the secondary effects strongly suggest these are for Zygarde in some shape or form (baddum-tschh).

Thousand Waves prevents a Pokemon from fleeing, and Xerneas is based off a deer or something similar, and are they not considered to be very fast animals that can quickly flee when in danger? (Please correct if wrong :P) So, this move makes it so Zygarde prevents Xerneas from escping.

Thousand Arrows hits flying Pokemon (maybe Levitaters?) and brings them to the ground. Yveltal can fly. Zygarde can use this move to bring Yveltal down and prevent it from escaping, as it seems unlikely Yveltal can do much when on the ground...

So maybe it'll come around by new forms or maybe move tutors? I have no clue, but maybe it'll be X2 and Y2 and you get the move in the game where it is made to work on the legendary (Waves in X2, Arrows in Y2)?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    So maybe it'll come around by new forms or maybe move tutors? I have no clue, but maybe it'll be X2 and Y2 and you get the move in the game where it is made to work on the legendary (Waves in X2, Arrows in Y2)?
    DO NOT RUIN THE FANTASY OF Z THAT WE HAVE CREATED...

*ahem*

But yeah, Nintendo could go that direction. But, if so, opposite legendaries.

Back