• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music David Bowie

Years
Hunky Dory was my gateway album. It "spoke" to me which is not something music usually does. I was formally introduced through Bowie fans who had themselves been introduced through the movie The Labyrinth. I'd heard songs here and there without knowing really who Bowie was before that.

Picking a favorite album is really not something I can do. I have many favorites.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
I love him so much. Ziggy was the album that broke me into him; still one of my favorites of all time across everything. what a beautifully communal piece of art. aside from that I think his Thin White Duke persona is straight up one of the coolest things to have ever happened, and 'Heroes' is truly one of the greatest, most powerful songs of all time. The Man Who Sold the World is an underrated record btw. it's all good.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Unpopular opinion alert: Lodger is by far the best Bowie album, and 'Station to Station' his best song. It's a shame I didn't really discover him until after his death, as I now have 9 Bowie albums on my phone.

Cay

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 11, 2022
hell yeah!!!! i learned about him from ben mainly, lol. my favorite album of his is definitely let's dance (it's the only one i have on vinyl aside heroes) and my favorite song is either station to station or ashes to ashes. modern love is a very honorable mention as well. i probably have around seventy leven of his songs on my laptop/phone now.

Years
I'm still of the opinion that David Bowie is in everything ever. I remember getting so psyched when I found out he was in a movie! The Goblin King lives on.

Really, I absolutely enjoy Heroes. It's such a classic for me. The beats, the composition, the everything. One of his best.

Years
I like David Bowie but I don't love him. Nor do I have a favourite album, although I have a few songs from across several I like. My favourite of his songs is probably Life on Mars.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
This convo made me remember my massive ranked list of all the David Bowie songs I've heard... granted this was made shortly after his death, and I'd probably change most of the placements if I had time now (most of the Lodger songs are really low and some of the Low songs are a bit high - heh!) but here it is for your perusal. Brackets indicate the album; mostly self explanatory, although (O) = Outside, from the 90s.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
Scary Monsters is my favorite album of his. I really got into the Low, Heroes and Lodger albums too. Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust are incredible as well and I think Earthling is underrated. My mom was a very big fan growing up so it's a really cool bond to have with her.

I think the song Heroes should be considered a great like Hey Jude or Like a Rolling Stone or Good Vibrations. Just amazing stuff he was doing there. I know it's one of his popular tunes but it should be on all those 100 greatest and 10 greatest lists in my opinion.

And he had great taste as well! I got into Bowie from being a Velvet Underground and Stooges fan (which usually people get into them by knowing Bowie first but I was a weird kid ;) ) but he did get me into a lot of Glam Rock from the early 70s. I would have never heard about his rival Marc Bolan or the great great GREAT Roxy Music.

Years
If we're talking songs from Low then it's Sound And Vision for me. It's a song I can listen to over and over. I'm listening to it right now even.

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 14, 2018
Found Space Oddity looking for space-related songs for a virtual planetarium awhile ago, and have been a fan ever since. Good lord, that man knew how to make songs that evoke just about every emotion imaginable! He's definitely up there as one of the greatest musicians of all time.

Back