• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oy, sig limits!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I kinda wanted to point out that the concept of a SIGNATURE seems to have been convoluted in definition over time. Of course, if you want to get really technical, the whole concept of a signature doesn't make sense, since people in reality don't need such extensive clarification as to who someone is, but I think it's perfectly alright to warrant a nice image at the bottom of one's posts, to give oneself a nice sense of personalization when posting.

What I DON'T feel needs to be warranted, however, is a 500 pixel-high onslaught of ugly text, blinking imagery, and dancing, orange whatevers in EVERY SINGLE POST. This apparent leniency in signature restrictions even seems to bastardize perfectly well-kept signatures by adding a MANDATORY, ENORMOUS BLANK GAP beneath them. It just really isn't any fun to read posts from people that appear to be more sig than man. It's ESPECIALLY frustrating reading posts that are one line long followed by such a large signature. As an until-recent Dial-up user, I understand how frustrating viewing this site can be. I don't think adding a scrollbar is helping in that respect. I think it's giving people the idea that "W00T, I CAN MAKE MY SIG AS LONG AS I WANT NOW, LOL, NO ONE WILL CARE X--FREAKING-D".

What's even more annoying is that the gap exists even if I turn signatures off.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me. I've seen lots of strict sig limits before. GameFAQs only permits two lines of text. Another board I go to has a 60x60 maximum avatar size and a strict signature policy (325x60 image or NOTHING AT ALL) and it's probably one of the neatest-looking boards I've ever seen.

But, yeah, long story short: I think the current signature limits might need some re-tooling.

Kurosaki

You think 500 is a lot? You shoulda seen the one I editted the other day... XD

However, we don't need to get any stricter with the limit. If you think a sig is too large, report it to a staff member so it will be editted (By this I means it breaks the sig rules).

I'm beginning to get all of these threads involving these kind of threads, where members complain like "It bugs me!", "I think this needs to be changed!", yadda yadda. The majority of PC likes sigs like this, and even though I agree most of them are pointless (I have no problem with large sigs within the limit that are neat, but I despise those messy ones that dont show a single sign of organization), it'll stay the way it is.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • hmmm.. nice point you have there.. we'll soon be upgrading the forum backend and we'll keep in mind your suggestions and so forth..

sigs have always been a sore-spot here at PC and we try very hard to come up with a happy medium for all.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • To me everything is worked out nicely. The 500x300 limit is good for sigs. I do agree that the little blinking images and stuff bugs me. But if thay want it in there then it isn't breaking any rules.

And PC is PC, not GameFAQ Boards, SPPF, IGN Boards, PE2K (when they were up) or any other forum out there. No forum should be judged by other forums (as in looking at ... and going "it works there so it will work on PC"). It might look nice and clean and might work out there. But not everything works the same on every forum.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    On a humorous note, ten minutes after making this thread, I noticed the thread about the new theme, which, as it would turn out, solved many of the gripes I had with the other themes. THANKS FOR READING MY MIND, GUYS.

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
  • Eh? I didn't get the last post.

I'm sure sigs are fine here, and only ones exceeding the limits are edited. The shouldn't be made larger, or smaller, or else, people will die of short-sig-mania or something.

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
  • I agree with Allstories. That's all I'll say, because like most others, I don't care for getting warned or, in my case, perm. banned. Not saying anything, but that's why nobody ever comes forward and complains~

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
  • LanceLite and MaxMan said:
    Meh, no way. Sigs are FINE the way they are. A smaller sig is like no sig at all. And that makes it a waste of it all.
    Firstly, that's your opinion, and I respect that, but there's no need to insist that signatures are fine simply because you think so.

Secondly, sorry to say, but your points are poor. A smaller signature would be a lot easier to look at, whereas no signature would be impossible to look at. Get what I mean? Small and non-existant are two very different words.

Random Plushie

Yes, it is a sheep
    Years
  • I must admit that there are sigs out there that are completely annoying, with those flashing lights and un-organization and whatnot.. But really, I think the limits should stay the same.

Wouldn't you think that a lot of people would just complain further if the limits were reduced? =o

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Yup. Some people... well, they obey the rules, but their sigs are still huge... >.< It's kinda hard, you know, to define limits.

Flashing lights hurt my eyes. ;-;

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
  • So eh... that makes blinkies bad? No way. Some things are too cool to give up.

Well, so... eh... that reminds me, my sig needs some editing.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • It doesn't make blinkies bad. Some animations are quite subtle. o_O

Oh, and Allstories? Haven't you pointed out about that board before? PC's a little more relaxed. That's very strict. >> And two lines long? -_- Maybe they don't have things like fan clubs, pairings, and such. PC != [insert forum here]. PC = PC.

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
  • Meh, but thats gaming. Well, Ky did say it, and she's right, that GameFAQs don't have the fun stuff, so they don't want signatures. And anyway, they have around a LOT more people active than here, even if we have more registered members probably. Their people are more n00bish than ours, and they have more posts everyday than here. So its natural they'll wanna disable sigs, but they have 2 lines for member-convinience.

^^;

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    *Gets outs a stick and hits some people*

Blinkies are awesome.

Being Mod of Graphics and photography I obviously like signatures heh, I love the new signature restrictions, and I haven't found any problems with it at all, I do find the forums much neater..but I personally think it doesn't matter if there neat or not...Its the posts that count no?

If we where to shorten the limit then a simple signature with a banner and a few lines "My twin at PC is blah blah whatever stuf here" would then automaticly put it into a scroll bar.and they aint all that pretty; But yes..I disagree. Dinosaur.

Back