• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon News Forum

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
Years
Original Thread Here, apparently forgotten.

To rehash:
It would be a forum under Pokemon General, called Pokemon News. Posting to it would not be allowed except for the bot (and staff+).

A bot (perhaps called Pokemon News Bot or something similar) would read RSS feeds (PocketNews, Bulbanews, PPN) and then post in the forum.

People would then be able to reply and discuss the topics.

Duplicate threads, such as when PN/BN post the same thing (which is often) would simply be deleted. This would require active staff, but wouldn't be that hard to do.

The hack requires no code changes, and can be found at vB.org here.

There was a goodly amount of support, including some upper staff that thought it would be nice.

So yeah. :3

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
Years
We could have two threads for each site. Y'know like, a "PPN News Thread" where all of the news from PPN go to, and a "PPN News Discussion" where all the discussion go to, to keep the news thread clean of other posts.

Good idea Greg, Max supports. :3

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Again, I like the idea. o.o

Deleting duplicates is easy enough (since in the other thread there was talk of post-moderation), so it would just need someone to check in once a day or so to make sure everything's in order.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I like that idea. Comment and discuss afterwords is a great idea. It's like a giant RSS feed.

Does Pokemon news come up often?

aRedMoon

Years
TRIFORCE89 said:
I like that idea. Comment and discuss afterwords is a great idea. It's like a giant RSS feed.

Does Pokemon news come up often?
Simple answer: Yes

Not-so-simple answer: It varies. Sometimes we'll have like 5 news articles in a day, other times it'll be no news for a week. Right now, for instance, it's a rather dry spell.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
Lightning said:
Again, I like the idea. o.o

Deleting duplicates is easy enough (since in the other thread there was talk of post-moderation), so it would just need someone to check in once a day or so to make sure everything's in order.
Agreed. I support it if it has post-moderation. =)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Well, the problem with post-moderation is that we never actually *check* the post-moderation thing. <_<; It would be a no-new-threads forum, so people could only reply to the automatic news threads, so there isn't much of a reason for moderating posts that way; it would be simple enough to catch duplicates just by looking at the main page of the news forum. o.o

Natsuki

.bluefang.
Years
I too think this is a pretty good idea. :3 It certainly would make PG look more organized to have all the events and news threads in their own little sub forum. X3 I can't recall ever dealing with post-moderation before so I'm not sure how that'd work out. D: But I still think it's a good idea. *waves a flag* :3

~Kelsey

Natsuki

.bluefang.
Years
But...we didn't bump the thread, the latest post before today was March 31, 2006. XD; Unless I'm mistaken and there's some new bump rule for CQ&F, which would be totally over my head...XD;

~Kelsey

aRedMoon

Years
It's to make sure that Steve remembers it. >_>;; And because of the April Fools crap, this had ended up on the 3rd page.

And it's senseless to make a new thread~

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
If you don't want to check post moderation, I'm happy to keep an eye on it~ since I'm supposed to help Gweggy run PN anyway, and I don't really XD

*hides from Gweggy*

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I definitely think this is a good idea. It would be so much better to have a bot posting individual threads for discussion of each news item, rather than having news threads thrown into the spamhole mess that is Pokemon General.

aRedMoon

Years
Jedi_Amara said:
If you don't want to check post moderation, I'm happy to keep an eye on it~ since I'm supposed to help Gweggy run PN anyway, and I don't really XD

*hides from Gweggy*
You watching over it? >_>; You don't do aynthing on PN, so I doubt you'd do anything in the forum. ._.;;;

...how long does it take to install a plug-in Steve? >_>;

Back