• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Forum

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
Years
  • Okay, I thought I'd bring this up, because I think it might be pretty useful for the community here.

I think it would be pretty nifty if PC stuck in a News forum, similar to that of BMGf
    (Forum link is imposed on protection, do not edit, as it is there as a purpose for showing examples. - Tetsuya-san) (forum link used for reference, which last I checked was allowed - sorry if that's changed)

It has a bot check RSS feeds on a constant basis, and then posts the new stuff in the forum.

As PC isn't very news centered, as some of the other forums are, I think it would be a good addition and bring a bit more Pokeness to the forum.

I'm not sure if the article bot is a plug-in or not, so I dunno if Steve would have to do a lot of work... but yeah :P

Thought I'd bring it up. If people are interested, then cool. Otherwise, meh.

Oh... and if you do add it, I suggest using BN, PN, and PPN, as they're the main news sources. But you'll have to get a modly person for it, as the bot does post double articles at times.

Ah, here it is at vb.org: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100269 No code changes required =D

Last edited:

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • i've seen these and most don't seem to work very well ( we use one on our business site, or used to..)

But if there are enough members who would like a news topic set up we could add one and have rss feed from your fav site(s)

aRedMoon

Years
  • The one that BMGf has been using works really well, the only problems tend to be when it posts a similar article that was on both BN and PN :P

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
  • I'd like it, but there's one minor major problem - 98% of the members won't even bother reading it. As I've said before, hardly any of them like Pokemon any more.

aRedMoon

Years
  • Which is why it would go into the Pokemon forum, so it attracts the users that actually do care still =/

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
  • Point.

And just link it to one news site, they all get exactly the same stuff anyway.

aRedMoon

Years
  • Actually, no.

BN does an episode post each week, and tends to clump a bunch of stuff together into one post. PN doesn't do the episode posts, but gets a lot of the smaller stuff that BN thinks too unimportant.

PPN is really the only iffy one, as he does site news, and everything he posts is normally on BN/PN hours/days beforehand. XP

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • There is absolutely no reason PC needs a news forum, PPN and SIVPH are pretty much actively updated (I know for a fact SIVPH since I post news there sometimes before anyone else including PN/BN).

It works at BMGf because it is a smaller forum, but at PC where the are a lot more of active users people could misuse it or just don't even get why we have it.

aRedMoon

Years
  • That's why there would be a moderator around.

Would it be that bad to try out?

And SIVPH in the past has normally been WAY behind in news. =/

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • If PC was smaller and was more "Pokemon" like from the main posting members then I'd be alllllllll for it. You pick up on Pokemon news, you can pop over to the forum, check out the newest Pokemon news and you don't have to run off to another site.
    But, like Ty said, most don't like Pokemon (sure you got the n00bs that'll run off to a game forum and ask a question on a game, but after that they're gone). Hell I don't even like Pokemon all that much anymore (I'll buy the games, watch the show but that's it). I just don't see a point in putting something up that no one is going to use. And we also got the Community Sites (well just PPN and SIVPH right now). If PC was more Pokemon oriented then it'd be great.

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • I just think it is a area that really would have no use, but it was a good idea Greg and like Andy said if PC really was more Pokemon oriented this would work a lot better.

aRedMoon

Years
  • Arcanine said:
    If PC was smaller and was more "Pokemon" like from the main posting members then I'd be alllllllll for it. You pick up on Pokemon news, you can pop over to the forum, check out the newest Pokemon news and you don't have to run off to another site.
    But, like Ty said, most don't like Pokemon (sure you got the n00bs that'll run off to a game forum and ask a question on a game, but after that they're gone). Hell I don't even like Pokemon all that much anymore (I'll buy the games, watch the show but that's it). I just don't see a point in putting something up that no one is going to use. And we also got the Community Sites (well just PPN and SIVPH right now). If PC was more Pokemon oriented then it'd be great.
    Maybe this could be a move towards a more Pokemon center? Because you guys tend to move farther and farther away, but still have only Pokemon community sites.

Eh, whatever.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • JKaizer said:
    Actually, no.

BN does an episode post each week, and tends to clump a bunch of stuff together into one post. PN doesn't do the episode posts, but gets a lot of the smaller stuff that BN thinks too unimportant.

PPN is really the only iffy one, as he does site news, and everything he posts is normally on BN/PN hours/days beforehand. XP
    i think you have that backwards.. i have most news up long before you or BN gets it.. and BN tends to lkean towards the Japanese where PPN is all things Pokemon related.

as for adding the news forum, i still dunno.. guess we could poll the users and see how popular it'd be

Guest123_x1

I like to post local news articles from my hometown area on occasion. Just my kind of thing to do, I guess.

Forum link used for reference, which last I checked was allowed
    I thought it was completely outlawed period no exceptions
    If there really are exceptions, I never even bothered to post links to the threads on the Michigan Buzzboard when I make posts that relate to what I've been doing on there (such as Opie & Anthony Assaults on the Media and weird events happening on local channels)
    No linking to any forum in post or PM. We don't want people jumping to other forums! You may, however, link to forums in your signature.

-ottermi619-
    Excuse me for re-itierating the forum linking rule, but I strongly oppose it. I suggest at least add an exception for links used as a source of information only.

Last edited:

aRedMoon

Years
  • You poll it anywhere but the Pokemon forums themselves and you'll get a horrible "No".

As for you getting news, you get a lot of "news story" type things, we tend to be quicker on some of the other stuff.

There's a reason I subscribe to PPN's RSS feed though. =P

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • JKaizer said:
    You poll it anywhere but the Pokemon forums themselves and you'll get a horrible "No".

Even in that section you will a "No", people go to websites to get news. They go to forums to interact with people that have a same common interest.

Putting in the news, who would actually read it? You may, but that is because your a Webmaster and that is what we do but other than that no one else really does.

aRedMoon

Years
  • It got quite a few people's attention over at BMG, which is why I suggested it here Richie. -_-

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • PPNSteve said:
    well it's not we gonna force anyone to read it.. and members can submit there choices of feeds for us to consider.. but still i dunno.

You just have to worry about people spamming in it, and if it was set so only the bot can post new threads you would than have someone mod it all the time.

Just seems like too much of a hassle for something that probably wouldn't get a lot of use.

aRedMoon

Years
  • PC has plenty of mods, I'm sure one of them would volunteer to watch over the forum and merge similar threads.

And you don't have to limit so that the bot could post, I think it would be useful if members could also post. =/

Back