• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other Animals

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    Well seeing the pokemon food thread, I thought of a question...

Has anyone noticed in the anime there are other animals in Pokemon?

I believe Cerulean Gym has a bunch of fish, and if I'm not mistaken I've seen pidgeys go after little worms or something.

Is there an explanation for this, or is it it just a plot device?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I think animals are just used as minor plot devices in Pokemon. They aren't going to show Pidgey eating a Wurmple of course, so they use worms, because everyone knows birds to eat worms and nobody really has a problem with it.

Besides prey, like in the fish example, they're just kind of there. Fish add to the theme that Cerulean's Gym is a Water-Type Gym, and back in the days of Kanto, they didn't have enough fish Pokemon to replace real fish with Finneons and Barboaches.

IMO, animals in the Pokemon world are considered "less interesting" or "less important", and thus are uninvolved in the action. I'd think that the only animals there are just the smaller, more prey-like ones, also. After all, there's plenty of references to fish, insects, and birds, but you don't see a bear or a komodo dragon or anything like that appearing any time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    ^I'm surprised that the anime could use that because you'd think that with Pokemon abilities, they'd all be exterminated.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Where would they get their meat? Surely they wouldn't slaughter Miltank.

--- --- ---

If you remember the Pokemon episode "Ghost of Maiden's Peak", Gastly summoned a giant Mongoose.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Team Rocket tried to steal ham from Nurse Joy once then a houndour stole it from Team Rocket (something like that, I don't remember too well).
    Poor Grumpig, lol.

Neosplash

|♜|♞|♝|♛|♚|♝| ♞|♜|
    Years
  • Pokemon are just animals that can shoot lasers. We all know that animals eat each other. We have animals as pets, but we except that in the wild they eat each other to live. The thing about Pokemon is, they are so cute and have been given so many human like characteristics that it feels weird to think of them eating each other. They have a language and can even speak Japanese (English in america).
    I personally thing that the Pokemon don't really have their own language and that Pokemon don't have the ability to speak ours. I always saw those things as something they put into the anime. Pokemon are animals that can shoot laser and nothing more, they eat each other to live. I have nothing more to say. I will take my leave.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    In the anime, I heard the drink Far'fetched soup.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    Where would they get their meat? Surely they wouldn't slaughter Miltank.

--- --- ---

If you remember the Pokemon episode "Ghost of Maiden's Peak", Gastly summoned a giant Mongoose.

I'm not too sure about the first one; animals are animals, and humans always have a taste for trying something new :x
    Anyways, if there are other animals, wouldn't they be exterminated due to Pokemon being more able to fight?

FalseDestiny

Troll
    Years
  • I JUST FIGURED OUT SOMETHING LOGICAL.

MAYBE, all the pokemon are simply our animals evolved in the near future. Just imagine it, Mice start getting the ability to create electricity... lol.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • I'm not too sure about the first one; animals are animals, and humans always have a taste for trying something new :x

Example being, SlowpokeTail from the GSC Generation; at least in the games. I kinda remember some guy saying it was pretty tasty, in the game.

But if you think about it, the Anime is a kid's show; they're not gonna make kids think that people slaughter Pokemon for food. However, if you read some of the 'Dex descriptions, Taillow and Starly are said to prey on Wurmple. So Pokemon eating Pokemon is somewhat used. But not in the show. Either the show adds them for effect of environment or to avoid kids seeing the true, gruelling nature of Pokemon, or there are normal animals in the world of Pokemon, which would explain all the meat references, and such.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I guess this calls into question what we can trust: the game or the show?

Back