• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sky Battles!

blue

gucci
Years
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have introduced a whole new level of battle mechanics.
Introducing Sky Battles allows players to partake in Aerial battles which is restricted to flying type Pokémon and Pokémon with the Levitate Ability.

june_p12_01.jpg
2b4ac2.png

How do you feel about this? Do you think it will be used frequently throughout Kalos? Discuss!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Its a heavy disappointment. They could have done much more than what they did. Limited battle choices make this way more gimmicky than Triple and Rotation battles could have ever hoped to be.

It seems a nice way to farm case as they seem to dish out in amounts that rival Rich Trainers.

If it wasn't just a battle in the sky consisting of "Some" flying types and Levitators then it would have been more impressive.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
So it's just a battle exclusively for Pokemon with the flying type and levitators with no further gimmicks?
If so, I find it pointless and feel they're doing it just to do it.

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
Can't some Pokémon hover? Also, EELEKTROSS IN THE SKY BUT NO CHANDELURE? *is still happy that fav Pokemon can take part, but still wants chandy*

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Can't some Pokémon hover? Also, EELEKTROSS IN THE SKY BUT NO CHANDELURE? *is still happy that fav Pokemon can take part, but still wants chandy*

According to what was posted on Twitter, maybe not. Based on twitter's post not all Flying Pokemon can participate. They may even limit it against some levitators. We'll see a full list in the near future though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
I think they did it more so for aesthetic reasons. They wanna show off what they can do and make the game graphically appealing. I have no problem with that. I am sure some of the camera angles will look superb. Will be funny seeing Elektross flying, and I am sure anything with Electric in its typing will own the 'tier', but still a neat addition! (It obviously won't be required for players to do these battles anyways; so if you guys don't like it, don't do it?)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
According to what was posted on Twitter, maybe not. Based on twitter's post not all Flying Pokemon can participate. They may even limit it against some levitators. We'll see a full list in the near future though.

Expect Gyarados not to participate.

Reminds me of "PokéRinger" thing from anime, except the Pokémon are pummeling each other instead of chasing after a ring. I think that, for this battle type to make sense, lots of moves would need to have their effect changed, otherwise it's just a visual thing.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I hope there are some restrictions for this game mode...maybe something that restricts Pokemon like Thundurus and Rotom.

Years
I love the idea of Sky Battles. they look cool. I really hope to see them a lot in the Kalos region. I also have a question. If we start a Sky battle and our first Pokemon is not a flying type or a levitator, what is it going to be? lol

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I'm really curious to see the new features the sky battles will include.
If it just a regular battle that just takes place in the sky, i'd be pretty disappointed
I hope they make it more interesting by including some new aspects in sky battles

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I like the sound of it on one hand....but on the other hand it seems like it's putting up the finger to ground type pokemon.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I don't really know how I should react. This is much like "Congratulation! You've just researched breathing" tropes. It add more variety, and limitation pushes creativity. Its very nice to see this in Gym, and not just sky battle, but also water or sea battle because I found it funnyh that most Water Gym have big pool, but we can fight them with something like Torterra.

But at the same time it kinda break immersiveness. Because, you know, Flying pokemon should constantly flying in all battle, not just the Sky Battle. Ah yes, that limitation comes from turn-based battle Pokemon have. Well, in other words, I appreciate it, and hoped for something more like this, especially in Gym.

blue

gucci
Years
Well Sky battle does indicate that it is bound to those Pokémon that can fly, you can't half expect for Pokémon such as Zigzagoon to partake in Aerial battles can you? I don't understand why people are so against this idea, it's something different to added to the battle mechanics and it adds a little differential style to the battle scene, I personally really like this addition.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I don't think I like the possibility of it being so heavily restricted, especially since diglett could learn Aerial Ace for God's sake

but it does look like fun I must admit

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Sounds like a great idea for a battle - I may not have many sky battles, unless I can catch Emolga early in the game (or transfer mine early from Black 2), or another part-flying Pokemon I may like (from the ones not yet introduced.)

I may try it to try out everything in X&Y - I may have fun (shocking flying Pokemon in the air).

Back