• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you name your Pokemon?

SheiK

Rawr Blargh
Years
  • I like to name my pokemon after a certain characteristic of that specific Pokemon.

For example, my Alakazam I have named Daedalus, which means "cunning" in Greek. Or Gyarados as Pegasus. Palkia as Zeus, for being almighty.

I also name some certain Pokemon after personal life beings. For example, I named my Pearl starter Gigi because that was the name of my parent's dog before I was born.

Please share how you name YOUR Pokemon! :D

Radikaru

moonrose
    Years
  • I used to just give them random names that I could think of, usually relating to their species/type/appearance.
    Like if I had a fire type, it was usually named Blaze or something similar.

Now I just don't nickname them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2013
    I name my Pokemon either by their moves or whatever word/name comes to mind. Like these:

Dialga - Time Roar
    Staraptor - Whirlwind (doesn't even know Whirlwind. >.>)
    Houndour - Cuddles
    Slowking - Wallace
    Snubbull - Snuffie
    Roserade - Violet

nekolexis

Evee Trainer
    Years
  • Glaceon= Yuki
    Lefeon= Haru

Yuki and Haru means Snow and Spring so I just had to nickname them. And my Espeon for Hikari (Light) and Umbreon for Yami (Dark)

My Lopunny twins (Elouise and Elouai)

XD

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Glaceon= Yuki
    Lefeon= Haru

Yuki and Haru means Snow and Spring so I just had to nickname them. And my Espeon for Hikari (Light) and Umbreon for Yami (Dark)

My Lopunny twins (Elouise and Elouai)

XD

Well first off, I do the same thing. XD Just use the Japanese name for the type.

As for the bold, Yuki reminds me of this Naruto character I'm writing up. He has a pet sea lion named Yuki who can use Ice Jutsus sorta....(Sorry if you don't know what Naruto is, I just had to point that out. xD)

^_^ ~desu Saba~ ^_^

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I usually name them after Greek mythological figures.

I actually have a Swellow named Daedalus.

I named a Charmander "Charlie" because of the word play as well as (Lost Spoilers)
    Spoiler:

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
  • Depends. Sometiems if my character name is like marth I'd name my strongest guy Falchion (Fyi that's marth's sword if u don't know). Now I usualy name them stuff they do. I named I weavil I Pwn U, My Ampharos I Zap u, and my gallade I Slice U

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Umbreon~ ZYPHLOS
    Glalie~ ZUKOJI
    Houndoom~ DUMNKANIN
    Ho-oh~ AZMUL or LOVE
    Persian~ SQUISHY
    Delcatty~ MILKY
    Sceptile~ ZOKUL

I usually make up words for their nicknames. I have no idea what Zyphlos or Zukoji mean. Dumnkanin means Doom (Dumn) and Canine (Kanin). Azmul comes from AZML, the first letter of each of the legendary birds' names. Zokul means "So cool" because it really was so cool on my Ruby Version (I started with Treecko). The others are real words.

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
  • I normally name my Pokémon something foreign language, particularly either German or Japanese. The also usually follow something regarding a characteristic of that Pokémon. For example...

Regice: Koori (Koh-ree, Japanese for ice)
    Stantler: Shikamaru (She-ka-mah-roo, Japanese for deer)
    Solrock: Sonne (Zonn-eh, German for sun)
    Luvdisc: Lieben (Lee-ben, German for love)

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • My team of favorites, I'm fun of nicknames

Sharpedo - Omfgashark
    Bannete - Zip it!
    Gardevoir - Malice
    Mismagius - O.o
    Darkrai - Boo!
    Manaphy - Drift

lol, this is just a favorites team.

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
  • I give my Pokemon odd, quirky names like I do with my pets. They mostly have names that connect to pop culture like movie titles, and the likes. For example

Wailord: Das Boat
    Nose Pass: Swap.nose
    Ludicolo: Mr. Burnaby Jones

Or just plan funny names.

Bulbasuar: WeedBGone
    Torchic: McNugget

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • I name them for what animal they look like, or by something they have, or what their name looks like, for example, I name my LeafGreen Blastoise as Bazooka.

My LeafGreen Team & Names:
    1 - Blastoise named Bazooka
    2 - Parasect named Mushroom
    3 - Chansey named Chance
    4 - Pidgeot named Mach-2 (this one is cool, no? :D)
    5 - Rapidash named Unicorn
    6 - Butterfree named Wing

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • By their original JP names. And not the romanizations Serebii lists. The actual, properly translated names. Medicham = Charem, etc.

coachwhipneoship

squeezer of lemons
    Years
  • I name them names that I like and that suit them!

The 3 in my signature I named for my 3 favorite Harry Potter characters because I like those names, and they suit the pokémon. Severus is the black serpent "Sev"iper. Bellatrix is the dark and beautiful Umbreon. And Narcissa is the glamorous, proud, *blonde* Ninetales. x3
    Naming just comes naturally to me...if I have 20 fish at any given time, you can bet that each one has its own well-chosen name and that I can tell them all apart! Well, except for the neon tetras. xD

I wanted to share other pokemon names of mine, and why I chose them. Other than the 3 Harry Potters, the ones I'm most proud of are:

Carnivine: Audrey and Petey. (Two guesses! Audrey is a nod to Little Shop of Horrors, and the Audrey II man-eating plant. Petey refers to Mario's pal Petey the Piranha plant. Both remind me of Carnivine and vice versa.)
    Manectric: Razz and Citron. (I love Manectric! These two are named for the species' colors. Razz is short for "blue razzberry," a play on blue raspberry, referencing the bright turquoise body. Citron is for the other parts of the body, which can be a yellow-green color, like lemon-lime. I LOVE those colors!)
    Jolteon: Taigan (a dog breed that I like, but it's so rare that the name could be used as a name for a beautiful, graceful dog pokemon!)
    Glaceon: Tasy (see Jolteon, Taigan)
    Suicune: Inga (Dunno why, just like the name and thought it suited the lithe, water-purifying, aurora pokemon who's an incarnation of the northern winds!)
    Swalot: Rex (Swalot strikes me as a short, jolly little King--of Diamonds, naturally. Rex is Latin for King.)
    Vileplume: Raffi (short for Rafflesia, the plant it's based on)
    Tangela: Frykin (obvious reasons, lol)
    Vaporeon: Marina
    Flareon: Amber
    Mantine: Raymond (Ray...get it?), and Mobi (the Manta Ray is part of the genus Mobula)
    Houndoom: Lucifer (obvious again)
    Whismur: Annette and Evelyn (With the pink body and bands of orangey-yellow it looks like that fish from Spongebob, you know? The one that Larry calls Annette in the lifeguard episode, but that Spongebob calls Evelyn in Band Geeks? Yeah, that one. So I used those names!)
    Duskull: Yorrick (Inspired by Hamlet! The thing reminds me of the skull Hamlet holds while saying, "Alas, poor Yorrick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy!" and all that. In the Kenneth Branagh film Yorrick is a really weird-looking guy, so the weird-looking skull is just...perfect.)
    Phanpy: Parcheesi (He looks like the blue elephant game pieces in a popular version of this board game.)
    Porygon2: Petunia (My favorite flowers are the petunias striped with white and a very vivid hot pink. The hot pink is like the bright fuchsia on a Porygon2, contrasting nicely with its royal blue.)
    Glameow: Roxi and Rollie (named for the two Lisa Frank kitties that Glameow kinda reminded me of)
    Snover: Daikon and Fir (the type of Radish it's based on, and also the tree it resembles)
    Abomasnow: Evergreen (boring..but it's like a snow-covered evergreen tree, so...)
    Cresselia: Crescenza (pretty name similar to its own)
    Octillery: Tomato (Lolz...just named for the reddish-orange color)
    Xatu: Totem
    Natu: Fwooper (for the magical bird that comes in bright pink, green, yellow or orange plumage)
    Bayleef: Anise (a strong-scented plant/herb)
    Regice: Crystal
    Whiscash: Channel ('Cause he's a catfish an' I adore catfishies :3)
    Torterra: Gardenia (First thing I came up with to express the idea that the environment on its shell is like a little portable garden, with a shady tree and soil and grass and mountain-like rocks and such. Love it.)
    Shellos: Carlotta (another convoluted one that does make sense, to me at least. Shellos, and Gastrodon, are based on nudibranchs. One type of nudibranch, seen in Finding Nemo, is a "Spanish Dancer." In one I Love Lucy episode, Lucy fears that a Spanish dancer named Carlotta Romero is going to steal Ricky from her. Hence, I name Shellos, Carlotta.)
    Sceptile: Hans (Doesn't it just look like a Hans? ^^
    Gorebyss: Aquata (One of Ariel's sisters, suitable for a water-type with a mermaid seashell bra!)
    Ludicolo: Pinata and Ananas. Ananas is French for pineapple. I didn't know what to call these sombrero-wearing, pinata- and pineapple-looking ducks...so I settled for those. xD
    Gardevoir: Solange (French name)
    Spoink: Piglet
    Cacturne: Selena, & Gordon (I needed a name that captured, for me, some of the stuff that Cacturne makes me think of: scarecrows, cornfields, autumn, pumpkins, apples, the Goosebumps "Scarecrow Walks at Midnight" book, the Are You Afraid of the Dark? Tale of the Silent Servant episode, etc. etc. etc. The only thing I could turn into a name was gourd-->Gordon. :p Selena, just fits a Dark-type.)
    Articuno: Windrunner (reference to a somewhat similar creature from The Future is Wild)
    Dragonair: Aurore (inspired by the pretty card with the northern lights)
    Altaria: Skye
    Koffing: Violet (purple...)
    Sandshrew: Pangolynne (So silly...it reminds me of a cool animal called a pangolin, so I turned it into a name by making "lin" into Lynne.)
    Sandslash: Rattleback (Like Windrunner the Articuno, it's a Future is Wild reference.)
    Grotle: Shrubbery (Bad one..I was being goofy thinking about the bushes on his shell and talking like the Knights who say "Nee!" Bring me a shrubbery! XD)
    Empoleon: Bonaparte (yep, a nod to Napoleon.)
    Cherubi: Cerise ("cherry" in French)

Marauding Master

Interdimensional.
    Years
  • You create the name you want to give it in iron, heat it up and stick it up the Pokémon.

Oh wait. How do I choose it's name? Use a correct title next time. I never nickname them except if I have references to things.

GrayLuna

Years
  • well i don't like to nickname them on the games because if i want to change it later and its on another game i have to trade it back so i just name them in my head ^_^

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
  • By their original JP names. And not the romanizations Serebii lists. The actual, properly translated names. Medicham = Charem, etc.

That's just made you look pretentious. I'd laugh at your Pokemon if you come into battle renaming them with their "properly translated names".

Back