• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you name your Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2015
    I give them random nicknames or puns off their names at my whim, such as "Articun" for Articuno(missing the last letter, if you haven't guessed already), "Suicun" for Suicune, "Raiko" for Raikou, etc. With Rayquaza I have a policy of naming them "Ray".

Years
    I've been naming them after characters in my stories for ages. I know, I'm lame. But I usually find something that fits, and I don't like not nicknaming them either.

Sadly, I have three Pokémon named Lance in Pearl right now. I'm always like "........why did I do this again?" XD;

Years
    My pokemon nicknames are all corruptions of thier original names.

Flygon=Fligon
    Porygon-z=Poreegon-z
    Luxray=Lucksray
    Vaporeon=Vaporieyon
    Breloom=Braylume
    Skarmory=Skarmaurie

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    For the most part, I don't name my Pokemon. I only name the ones I plan to use in competitive battling. However, I don't name them after Japanese words, because I'm not a weeaboo. I'm still bad at naming, though.

Sometimes I make up lousy names based on the Pokemon's actual name. (I named my Shuckle 'Shuckers')

Sometimes I name them after things or people. (I named my Smeargle 'Ian', after Ian McConville)

And sometimes, I name them after epic events or things that happened because of the Pokemon. (I'm naming my Porygon 'Epilepsy')

Yaziyo

Everyone's favourite Arab
    Years
    My pokemon have the randomest names. I normally only name ones I'm going to use or that I can think of a good name at the time:

Swampert - Wet Dream
    Snorlax - Lard Lad
    Hashish - Breloom
    Volcacia - Blaziken (I think I ended up reusing this name multiple times :P )
    Ludicolo - Salad
    Raichu - Crispy
    Ditto - Goatse Jam

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    The 3 in my signature I named for my 3 favorite Harry Potter characters because I like those names, and they suit the pokémon. Severus is the black serpent "Sev"iper. Bellatrix is the dark and beautiful Umbreon. And Narcissa is the glamorous, proud, *blonde* Ninetales. x3

Aha! I do almost the same thing--I've gotten into a habit of naming some of my Pokemon after Harry Potter characters. In fact, I would have named my Seviper "Severus" as well if it had been the right gender.

Anyways, I name Pokemon a bunch of different ways. I usually have a few types of names I give them:

A handful of my Pokemon are named after famous people:

Kirlia: Sigmund (after the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud)
    Mr. Mime: Marceau (after a mime named Marcel Marceau)
    Meditite: Mahatma (after Mahatma Gandhi)
    Espeon: Merlin (after the wizard from King Arthur's time)
    And my two English monarchs...
    Vespiquen: Elizabeth
    Roselia: William (besides, his stats describe him as "strong willed"--get it?)

And the tradition of naming Pokemon after Greek goddesses:

Mightyena: Artemis
    Milotic: Venus (Actually, that's her Roman name, but...)
    Murkrow: Persephone
    Umbreon: Hades (No wait--he's a god...)

Some are kind of silly but make sense anyways:

Combusken: Sunny Dee
    Quagsire: Phishie
    Kingler: Snippety
    Swampert: Skippy (Also happens to be a brand of peanut butter)
    Whiscash: Quaker (Hmm... could I also be talking about the religion... or the oats?)
    Magmar: Duckfire (because its mouth looks like a duck bill)
    Pinsir: Pindoe (A female Pinsir can't be a stag beetle--she must be a doe beetle!)

And those that aren't as silly yet still go with their characteristics:

Kyogre: Orca (It looks like a killer whale, doesn't it?)
    Blissey: Florentine (Which I believe is a way to cook eggs)
    Lapras: Plesio (Because Lapras looks like a plesiosaur)
    Numel: Magmus (Just a little spin on "magma")
    Koffing: Cigarette
    Swablu: Cumulus (a kind of cloud)
    Gyarados: Serpentina

Some of them are taken from another language:

Cherrim: Shigatsu (Japanese for April, the month when cherry blossoms bloom)
    Noctowl: Frau Nacht (In German, it sort of means "Lady of the Night")
    Aron: Haganiwa (Japanese compilation of its type--"hagani" for Steel and "iwa" for Rock)
    Pichu: Ringo (Japanese for apple; Pichu loves apples)
    Moltres: Hinou (Another Japanese compilation--this time meaning "fire phoenix")
    Lombre: Fresa (Spanish for strawberry, not that that makes much sense...)
    Haunter: Seirei (Japanese for spirit)
    Makuhita: Luchadora (Spanish for wrestler; the last A is there because it's a female Makuhita)
    Raichu: Kazuminari (Japanese compilation meaning "thunder mouse")
    Solrock: Domingo (Spanish for Sunday--because "Sol" is already part of its name)
    Lunatone: Yue (Chinese for moon)
    Bellossom: Benito (which I believe is Italian for beautiful?)
    Vespiquen: Regina (which I believe is Italian for queen)
    Heracross: Tsunoko (Another Japanese name; "tsuno" means horn and the "ko" is usually added to a girl's name--and since this is a female Heracross...)
    Relicanth: Baaransu (Its Japanese name is Jiiransu, but the Jii part refers to an old man. Since this Relicanth is female, I had to change that word to "old woman".)
    Castform: Warutenki (Japanese for "bad weather")
    Delcatty: Kawaine (Japanese compilation meaning "cute huh?")
    Kadabra: Neko (Japanese for cat--its ears look sort of like cat ears)
    Alakazam: Zorra (Spanish for fox--specifically a female fox--Alakazam's ears resemble fox ears)
    Blissey: Shiawase (Japanese for happiness)

I dedicated some names of my Pokemon in Diamond and Pearl to some dubbed names I gave to the Sinnoh Pokemon before their English names came out:

Grotle: Pangaia (actually the name I gave to Torterra)
    Drifloon: Ballimp
    Drifblim: Inflotion
    Stunky: Stinkum
    Staravia: Silverling
    Kricketot: Criminy
    Uxie: Gemwise

Then I give some Pokemon names that are usually given to people. But at the same time, these names go with one of their characteristics:

Bibarel: Beatrice (beaver)
    Roserade: Pierre (I had to give him a French name, because if a Roserade holds its flowers up to its head, it looks like the French flag from above)
    Chimecho: Belle (because she evolved from a bell)
    Skitty: Tom-Tom (A male cat is sometimes called a "tom cat"--I have no idea why I put Tom twice)
    Volbeat: Hikaru (because "hikari" means light--which Volbeat has on his tail)
    Azumarill: Bob (its tail bobs up and down in the water)
    Drifblim: Wendy (sounds a lot like "windy")
    Roselia: Rosemary (pretty obvious)
    Octillery: Octavian
    Ponyta: Cinderella (emphasis on the cinder, which has to do with fire)

Then I name some after fictional characters, whether from books, movies, or video games:

Nuzleaf: Pikmin (Looks sort of like one, doesn't it?)
    Ninjask: Arya (the elf from Eragon)
    Salamence: Saphira (the dragon from Eragon)
    Dratini: Elliot (the dragon from Pete's Dragon--I think that's what it was called)
    Lopunny: Peter (from Peter Rabbit)
    Buneary: Flopsy (Peter Rabbit's sister)
    Sableye: Gollum (the cave-dwelling creature from Lord of the Rings)
    Dusclops: Nosferatu
    Prinplup: Brucey (after the Neopet Bruce, which looks like a penguin)
    Golbat: Gotham (the city Batman is from)
    Wailmer: Moby Dick
    Sharpedo: Jaws
    Xatu: Natsume (from Pokemon--Sabrina's Japanese name)
    Wobbuffet: Jessie (from Pokemon)
    Chimecho: James (from Pokemon)
    Cacturne: Harley (from Pokemon)

I dedicate a large part of the above to the Harry Potter series:

Stantler: Prongs (Nickname of James Potter, but James is taken by my Chimecho and refers to a different James)
    Sneasel: Ginny (with the last name of Weasley)
    Slugma: Horace (with the last name of Slughorn)
    Luxray: Godric (with the last name of Gryffindor)
    Glameow: Minerva (with the last name of McGonagall, who can transform into a cat)
    Purugly: Norris (the Mrs. doesn't fit in there)
    Seviper: Nagini
    Absol: Sirius (would have been more appropriate for a Mightyena, but unfortunately my only Mightyena is female)
    Kecleon: Nymphadora (Both can change their appearance at will--or at least their colours)
    Spinda: Confundus (Named after a spell that confuses people--remind you of Teeter Dance?)
    Azelf: Dobby
    Banette: Bellatrix and Lucius (Lucius was originally named Deatheater)

Ah yes, ever since the days of Gold/Silver/Crystal, I've been nicknaming every single one of my Pokemon... which totals to a whole lot of Pokemon.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    I get my names from everywhere, but usually anime names, game names, Disney names, and foreign words

Ditto. I try to be clever, but I give approprite names. For Torterra, I gave him Gaia, meaning land. I gave Raichu Sparks. And my Roserade, I named her Belle, from Beauty & the Beast. My Noctowl is Olren, from World of Worldcraft. I had to search Google for Owl names...

I name each & every one of my captured pokes. Cept legends. It ain't easy.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    some examples of my names:

Zelda the Gardevoir (after the princess Zelda)
    Meeko the Linoone (after the raccoon in Disney's Pocahontas)
    Misty the Togetic (since that's who owned/owns one on the show)
    Luce the Ampharos (Luce is Italian for "light")

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I've always named my pokemon simple names starting with the first letter of their final species. So like, Blue for Blastoise, Faith for Flareon, Scarlet for Sceptile, Lilac for Latias, Thomas for Typhlosion.. But since D/P, I now name them by the first letter of the species I recieve. So Charlie the Infernape, etc. Every now and then, I break meh rule and name my shinies more different names based on their color or what the fudge I was thinking about while hunting for them.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I look for their Japanese names first, and then I combine it with the English name. I can't stand plain human names or common ones like Zap for Sparky.. Pokemon is original as it is; their nicknames should be, too. =(

Back