• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shutting down issue

BJ088

It's been so long!
Years
  • Ok so I bought the games Quantam of Solace and also World Series of Poker today and every time I start to play them, within a few minutes my computer shuts down. I have no idea why. It's a brand new Toshiba laptop with the latest in everything I believe so it can't be that the computer can't handle the games. However, they are both made by Activision and that is the only similarity I can draw from this.

Any ideas as to why this is happening people?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Sounds like a cooling problem, your computer does that if it starts to overheat. Make sure that there's nothing obstructing either the intake vents (should be on the bottom) or the exhaust vents (probably on the side or back). I usually prop my laptop up in the back with something so that the intake vents can actually get air, it seems to help.

Years
  • While playing games, cooling is one of the biggest issues you'll have. I recommend taking the CD out of the drive once you've gotten the game loaded to keep that from spinning like crazy (but only do this if your games need a CD/DVD to start up - most games don't need the CD after that). This is in addition to making sure your intake vents and your exhaust vents are unblocked.

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
  • While playing games, cooling is one of the biggest issues you'll have. I recommend taking the CD out of the drive once you've gotten the game loaded to keep that from spinning like crazy (but only do this if your games need a CD/DVD to start up - most games don't need the CD after that). This is in addition to making sure your intake vents and your exhaust vents are unblocked.

The two games do require a CD to play so that sucks a bit, otherwise I think you're spot on with that.

Red1530 - my mate just told me that before. I'll definitely look into it.

Years
  • You might want to get a utility to check the temperature of both your processor (CoreTemp) and graphics card (the card's control panel). Also, does it "Shut Down" or just cut out completely?

Also, you may want to run a stress test on the laptop, to see if you can get to it to cut out without those games.

Oh, and it's not exactly ethical/legal, but you may want to consider a No-CD crack if the optical drive is heating things up.

Back