• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How devoted you are to a religion?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well, I would gather the assembly to stone a man to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath, if that's worth anything to you. :|

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    Devout Christian.
    I believe in the God above and I try to save those who do not.
    I wish it was easier to talk to people about your religion, because I'd rather not see people damned to hell. God is the way, the truth and the light.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Devout Christian.

Obviously.

But try not to be to harsh to people of other beliefs. (I.e. the unfortunate majority of us who are gonna be frying in hell)

Years
    Before I answer I should point to some of you that an agnostic person does not care for religion and has no opinions on the existance of a higher power, essentially if you do or don't believe in God you aren't agnostic.

Um, not really. Not caring for religion is apatheism, whereas an agnostic usually does care for religion in a small way. Agnostics certainly have opinions on God's existence, else y'know, that'd be going completely against its definition. Agnosticism has two main forms - strong/positive and weak/negative. Strong agnostics believe that it is impossible to know whether or not a God or Gods exist, while weak agnostics believe that the existence of a God is unknown but can be proved or disproved through science or philosophy.

tl;dr: "don't care" = apatheism, "don't know" = weak agnosticism, "can't know" = strong agnosticism.

I'm a strong agnostic, personally. There might be a God, there might not be, but I don't think it will ever be possible to prove God's existence or nonexistence. One can only find evidence, not proof, for His existence., before people throw stuff like the argument from design at me. If I were to give a considered opinion, I'd say it was more likely that God does not exist, mainly because scientific evidence and philosophical evidence from people like Hume, Russell and Singer. The case for the defence is generally flawed. Every theodicy I've studied has proved to be unworkable and illogical, though the work of Aquinas and, to some extent, Anselm, does have some sway. (For example, we once had a debate in Philosophy, and my team, who were arguing in favour of Aquinas' Quinque viae, managed to put forward a more convincing argument than those arguing against them. Even better, the judge was a devout atheist, who was visibly annoyed that he had to award the debate to my team. xD)

Oh, and could I make a request to everyone? Don't go around insulting people for their beliefs. Debate with them, fair enough, but don't make inflammatory remarks like "if you're a Christian you hate gays". It's not big, it's not clever, and it's not funny. It just makes you look like a dick. :)

Edit: Oh, and the same goes for any passing fundamentalists. Backhanded slights saying stuff like "you'll all burn in hell" or whatever is just as bad as people insulting your religion.

Chickenbits

GiantMonsterLover
    Years
    I'm pretty much a hardcore atheist. My mum and I share the "belief" that all you need to do to become one is to read the bible for 5 minutes :P

However, I used to be a millitant atheist. The belief in God was illogical and people had to know it. Be it a 50 year old man or a cute little 8 year old girl. Believing in god was wrong and I was there to tell them off. However, then I realised that I was no better than the persons running around "non-believers will burn in hell", so I stopped. Everyone to their own. ^^

However, when people say things like "thank god that you survived the operation" instead of thanking the doctors, I can find it a case of disrespect, but that's only my opinion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I believe. I think that's enough. I don't try to convert anyone. I don't care that much. I think the sacraments are important but I don't go to church because I don't quite understand why I would need a middleman to tell me about how I'm going to hell.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I'm not devoted to my religion in comparison to everyone else at my school (who have a religion), but I kind of wish I was.

That said, I'm devoted enough to believe in a lot of what the Bible says.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    Religion makes me lol.

I stopped believing in those mindless fairy-tales when i became capable of rational thought. I believe I was 6 at the time.

8D

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Religion makes me lol.

I stopped believing in those mindless fairy-tales when i became capable of rational thought. I believe I was 6 at the time.

8D

Me too... I guess most people who are religious on this forum are more devoted to Pokémon than to their own religion.

Back