• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Added the newest challenger!

And yeah robin hood, dark is pretty cool to use except for all the importing egg hassles.

Update: I started the new game and ran all the silly errands. Eventually after taking off for my grand adventure I ditched Chikorita as soon as the newly hatched poochyena could defend itself. Pluto and I grinded at the Sprout Tower and defeated all of our opponents with a combination of Howl + Tackle. I saw my rival, Silver, and he took off.

He was probably scared from Pluto, afterall she is a rabid wolf pup haha! Then my second egg hatched and whaddaya know?! A sneasel was born! Oh the miracle of poké-birth!! I then took off with sneasel and grinded her against the wild bellsprouts and hoothoots. After I got it to a decent level, I challenged falkner. I beat the two trainers easily with Pluto. She learned bite so know I finally had a STAB move. Once I challenged falkner, Pluto howled and defeat Pidgey with it's bite. Next up was the hacked pidgeotto so I used bite but it didn't defeat it. It then roosted and Pluto howled once more. It used bite which knocked off some decent hp but it fell next turn to a gust. I sent out Sneasel to finish it off with ice punch (egg move).

That's it so far.

Pluto the Poochyena
    (Female)

-tackle
    -howl
    -bite
    -growl??

Ares the Sneasel
    (Female)

-ice punch
    -quick attack
    -taunt
    -leer??

Last edited:

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    If only I could have my Kingdra now!
    Just lost to Pryce twyce, first time because I was a bit underlevelled and the second time due to Focus Blast missing TWICE to his Piloswine and Piloswine critting me TWICE with Ice Fang. Each crit was a one hit KO. There was raging. Grrrr.
    Later I'll get back in there and slaughter him, but for now I must depart. I'll be back, you and your Haxoswine D:<

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Already added!

Mudkiprush!!!, just keep at it man. We've all had to face our worst weakness at some point.

Use them hyper potions =]

jmd34

<---- Ibanez RG320PG-P3
    Years
  • Yo EJ. I was gone for a long time , and got bored of pokemon but now i wanna start it over witha NORMAL type challenge. I barely ever used normals on my plyatrough so , it should be fun !

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • I'm thinking about joining with a dark type team, but I just have one question before I do. If I restart my game, will my pokewalker loose all it routes? Or could i bring over a Corphish and/or Murkrow egg to start with?

Last edited:

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    BIG update:
    -kakuna evolved into beedrill
    -it then proceded to beat the crap out of Falkner
    -got egg and all that
    -moved on with only Beedrill
    -Azalea town, slowpoke well, all that
    -rival battle! got owned like three times, then got lucky and KOed his gastly before it could curse me (kept killing me at the end)
    -did all the ilex forest stuff. did NOT catch paras (WAAAAAY too slow)
    -bugsy was a pain. his scyther was uneffected by twineedle(sp?), my best attack. (poison rocks though)
    -BEAT HIM THAT MAKES TWO BADGES!!!! (insert badge pics here)
    -taught totodile cut and finally got through Ilex forest
    -first, of course, taught a random slowpoke headbutt and caught a Pineco. named Pinebomb :)
    -lot of fighting and Pinebomb training. Goldenrod city heck yes
    -more fighting. NATIONAL PARK BUG CATCHING CONTEST=awesome
    -got Butterfree (named Super Fly) and since my DSi has been a day or so slow, fixed it and went and got Scyther (HECK YEAH)
    - still can't beat Whitney. Miltank rollout.....

for the whole (future) team i was thinking Beedrill, Butterfree, Forretress, Scizor, Heracross, and an everchanging 6th, right now maybe Yanmega or Pinsir.

Team right Now (no pics yet)

Pineco/Pinebomb
    Lv.17 Male
    Take Down
    Rapid Spin
    Selfdestruct
    Bug Bite

Scyther/Omnislash
    LV.14 Male
    Leer
    Focus Energy
    Pursuit
    False Swipe

Beedrill/Megadrill
    LV.23 Female
    Poison Sting
    Twineedle
    Pursuit
    Fury Attack

Butterfree/Super Fly
    LV.17 Male
    Confusion
    Poisonpowder
    Gust
    Sleep Powder

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2010
    Damn, this has happened twice already where I had a full detailed update typed, then it failed to post. :(

I'll do a really fast update then I suppose. :(

Basically I beat the 2nd Gym Leader and arrived in Goldenrod, currently grinding my Aipom to 21.

Team:

Docile/ Level 20

Fury Swipes
    Headbutt
    Tickle
    Astonish

Impish/ Level 21

Sweet Kiss
    Yawn
    Extrasensory
    Metronome

Careful/ Level 21

Mega Punch
    Bite
    Headbutt
    Rock Tomb

Headbutt's a pretty good move, and Aipom's only good STAB move at the time is/was Scratch, so I thought it'd be good to teach him Headbutt as well :)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I'll make the change to stag, and jmd I'll update for you too. =]

I'm thinking about joining with a dark type team, but I just have one question before I do. If I restart my game, will my pokewalker loose all it routes? Or could i bring over a Corphish and/or Murkrow egg to start with?

I'm not sure about the routes, but you are free to bring in two eggs to start you off. On my current challenge, I picked sneasel and poochyena.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • Alright, I'm ok with that. I'll just transfer all the important Pokemon over to platinum, cause i don't feel like catching them again in the play through and I'll start off with a Corphish and Murkrow eggs.

First log will probably be tomorrow.

Toxic Potato

Always Sleepy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2020
    Urp... Sorry for going too fast and not even registering before I began. -.-

No one's done this yet? Well, I'll do Mono-Fighting...
    I've already got a start, if that's OK... It's not in the rules, and I couldn't get any Fighting types before Goldenrod that I know of, so I hope that doesn't affect anything.
    (Restarting. I did break a rule.)

Register name thing (What my name is on first post?): Toxic Potato
    Named myself MnoFht (:P What?)
    Type: Mono-Fighting
    Version: HeartGold

Progress - Restarting...
    Used an in-game trade, which still counts as a trade. My bad.

Game restarted. Will update tomorrow.

Small update. Earliest fighter I can get that I know of is Heracross, so around Ilex Forest-ish.

Got a Poliwag on Route 31. Evolves into Water/Fighting after Poliwhirl, so it counts, right? Just has to be a Poliwhirl by end of the challenge?

Small update. Currently in Slowpoke Well with Pory the level 15 Poliwag. Gonna be hard since it's the only Pokemon I can use so far. :\ Time to stock up on potions.

In Azalea Gym. Not exactly looking forward to that Scyther... Pory is currently level 17. Interesting sidenote: The twins in the Gym will not battle you if you have only one Pokemon.
    Scyther is obliterating me every time...
    Ugh. This Scyther is immensely difficult... Grinding time.

Will continue updating later today.

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Everybody that contacted me either here or by VM and PM has been added. Good luck to all of you!

jmd34

<---- Ibanez RG320PG-P3
    Years
  • Small Update :

I can't really play alot so yeah... well I finished off the errand stuff
    -Defeated Rival , named it Heart
    -Caught a SENTRET :)
    -Grinded sentret to level 6 and now i'm off to Violet
    -Facing the trainers ( joey etc.. )

Team :

SENTRET : Level 7...
    Scratch
    Foresight
    Defense Curl
    Quick Attack

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    Update:
    -FINALLY beat Whitney with the help of my new Heracross (named Herculass)
    -Caught a Sudowoodo cause It's the only one in the game
    -Beat more trainers
    -Arrived at Ecruteak City
    -Burned Tower was... fun.
    -Rival Battle! Gastly kinda sucked, but everyone else just... no.
    -Gonna wait on Morty for a bit

Team:
    Heracross Lv.14
    Aerial Ace
    Focus Blast
    Horn Attack
    Endure

Scyther Lv.18
    Agility
    Focus Energy
    Pursuit
    False Swipe

Butterfree Lv.19
    Confusion
    Supersonic
    Gust
    Sleep Powder

Beedrill Lv.25
    Toxic Spikes
    Twineedle
    Pursuit
    Fury Attack

Pineco Lv.19
    Take Down
    Rapid Spin
    Selfdestruct
    Bug Bite

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years

• Well, after downloading more than seven gigabytes worth of Video Game Soundtracks, my thirst for OSTs has been quenched… For now at least. And yes, I did get the HeartGold & SoulSilver OST.
    • With the Pokeathlon refusing to sell me any Shiny Stones, I'm going to get my ass back on the open road. I was heading back to Goldenrod City to see if I could borrow someone's water bucket and dump it on a Pokémon. Maybe I should get a fire-truck… Heh, vroom.
    • Conveniently, there was a Flower Shop right next to the Gym. I wonder if they'd be willing to sell me some weed... I mean a watering can! Yeah... watering can... Good, relaxing watering can...
    • I talked to the girl in the Flower Shop and, apparently, because I have the Plain Badge, I can handle a SquirtBottle. Are you freakin' kidding me? So what; if I didn't have the Plain Badge, I'm incapable of using a damned water bottle? Is that what you're trying to tell me?!
    • Sprayed the stupid not-tree with the SquirtBottle, which really pissed it off. It attacked me, and I killed it in the name of science.
    • Got one of the best Key Items that Nintendo has ever created, the Berry Pots. That's right; I can carry my berries with me now. No more flying to random cities, then tracking down your berries! Just open your bag, take your berries, and plant some new ones.
    • Found a Stantler in the wild, but Stantler is inferior to Tauros in every way, but learning Hypnosis (which is a 60% accuracy move now, hence, it sucks), and having Intimidate. Killed it for science.
    • Finally reached Ecruteak City, after taking on an annoying Wigglytuff and Clefable duo. Spoke with Bill, a Pokémon Scientist, or something. He said something about Hoenn, then left. Whatever dude. I just want my Tauros.
    • Got a call from Beverly, talking about how she thought she saw a Marill, but it was really a Weedle. How do you screw that one up? I mean, Marill's blue for Christ's sake!
    • Entered the Ecruteak Gym, only for an old man to kick me out and call me a 'ho ho ho'. That old bastard.
    • Got a call from Anthony, telling me that he ate some berries. You see, this is exactly why I don't give my phone number out to people! They call me for trivial crap that I don't give a **** about, and then expect me to care. Instead of going to the Burned Tower, I went to the Dance Theater.
    • LOL, Rocket Grunt wants a hula dance. I, personally, want a lap-dance, but not everyone gets what they want. Then, to top it off, the dipstick starts dancing on stage. I think, for the Rocket Exam (if they have one), they need to have a box that says 'Check if you are below the IQ level for complete idiot'.
    • Some chump says that he has a 'stomachache' otherwise he would 'do something'. Yeah, keep telling yourself that, coward. Now I've gotta play the big goddamn hero and save the damsel in distress. Curse my conscience!
    • The Grunt's Koffing was no match for Togetic's Extrasensory attack. OHKO.
    • Apparently, there's a lower rank than Team Rocket Grunt. Rocket Toilet-Cleaner? Rocket Hobo? Rocket… Actually, I've got nothing. What the hell is lower than Grunt? Being fired? Actually, being fired from Team Rocket is kind of sad. It makes you realize that you sucked so badly that even the Rocket's didn't want you, even when they get their asses handed to them by ten-year-old children. Kind of sad, when you think about it.
    • Got a call from Walt… about Nidoran… I'm never picking up my damned PokéGear again, unless Mom is calling. To hell with everyone else. Maybe they'll think I died, and leave me alone.
    • Just as a note, Devil May Cry 3 has one of the best Soundtracks (or OSTs, depending on how you see it) ever. Devils Never Cry is one of my favorite songs, and listening to it while kicking Pokémon ass just doubles the experience.
    • Got HM 03, Surf, for playing the hero. No one on my entire team can learn it, and make decent use of it. That kind of sucks, but I guess Totodile will have to take over for that.
    • Okay, just walking into the Burned Tower, I can see Entei, Suicune, and Raikou. Are you telling me that no one has seen or captured them yet, but they're hiding in plain sight? Some guy named Eusine is looking for Suicune. Hey genius, here's a tip for you; look down the giant gaping hole in the floor!
    • Okay, so he does know that Suicune is down there, but doesn't go down there because it'll run away. Doesn't make him any less of a dumbass though.
    • Found Mr. *******, aka, Silver. Hey, why's your name 'Silver', when your hair's red? Oh, that's right, because someone already has the name Red and, unlike you, he doesn't completely fail at battling. GG Silver.
    • OHKO'd Silver's entire team with Togetic's Fire Blast and Extrasensory. After the battle, I got a call from Mother, telling me she bought me something. I swear, so help me God, if it's more berries…
    • Okay, Raikou and Entei ran out pretty easily and smartly, running off in directions that I can't easily follow. What does Suicune do? Run up to me and roar, as if it's going to scare me. That bastard's lucky I don't have my Master Ball, or he'd be singing a different story. Also, before its 'grand escape', it ran in a circle… twice. Wow. Just wow.
    • Only is it after I leave the Burned Tower do I realize that I lack a Bicycle… ****!
    • Trekked back to Goldenrod City, to get me a Bicycle. And, while I'm on that Route, I might as well check to see if the Pokeathlon is giving out Shiny Stones yet.
    • Bastards still refuse to sell me a Shiny Stone. Damn them to hell.
    • Got me a free Bicycle. Back to Ecruteak we go!
    • Back to Ecruteak I went.
    • I've gotta say, personally, I hate the way the Ecruteak Gym was redesigned. I liked it when I seemed to just walk on air, and taking the wrong step dropped me back to the front. Now though, you just walk along the platforms. Worst redesign I've seen so far. All I had to do was disable my Running Shoes to make sure that I didn't accidentally run off the edge. Other than that, it was pathetically easy.
    • Got distracted while listening to the Ocarina of Rhyme and Super Mash Bros. Those mother****ers can kick some serious musical ass.
    • Beat down Medium ass, then tracked down Morty. The fight is on!
    • Oh, for ****'s sake! ****ing ROM just had to go for a Trainer Loop when I started my battle with Morty. Worst part is, I didn't SAVE for a while… Not even before facing Morty. I swear, so help me God… If this crap happens again, I'm going to get my knife.
    • Stayed in the Burned Tower and destroyed defenseless Pokémon, because they deserved it.
    • Caught a Miltank in an Ultra Ball on the Route adjacent to Ecruteak City. Also, I caught a Meowth, and a Tauros on this Route, as well as a Raticate. Not a bad haul today, even if the stupid ROM crashed on me. Now, to Level-Grind. I've gotta say though Togetic has got to be one of my best Pokémon that assists during the capture. Its use of Yawn is great, and it allows me to (so far) always catch the Pokémon with an Ultra Ball the next turn. I plan on keeping a diverse team of Normal-type Pokémon, swapping out a few of them on occasion to give others some time to shine. At the moment, I'm swapping out Fearow and Furret for Meowth and Tauros. And, in case you're wondering, that last slot belongs to the Pokémon that I aim to capture soon, Teddiursa.
    • Went back to the Ecruteak Gym, vengeance on my mind. Morty shall pay for freezing my game earlier, and my Level 30 Tauros is just the Pokémon to do it. I think my Level 30 Scrappy-empoweredMiltank would also have something to say, as does my Technician, Bite attack Persian. You see Morty, if you had just let me kicked your ass before; you wouldn't have had to worry about all these Pokémon, out for your blood.
    • Well, after looking over my Pokémon, I realized that Ambipom does not have Technician as its ability. Not a huge loss there, seeing as I've got Persian to take care of that, but still a bit depressing. I blame Morty for all of this. Speaking of Ambipom, I taught her U-turn, since I figured that it could be a useful weapon against Psychic-types. Such a shame that there's no Shadow Claw TM in this game… Also taught Persian Dig to help it defeat Rock-types.
    • Made it to Morty after kicking some Medium ass, and saved before facing him this time. I'd be a fool if I didn't learn from my mistakes.
    • Tauros alone slaughtered Morty's entire squad. The only Pokémon that managed a single attack was his Gengar, which wasted his life using Mean Look. Morty should LRN2HPFIGHTING.

• Did some heavy-duty grinding, saved my game, and called it quits for the day.
    Current Team

Name: Tauros
    Type: Normal
    Level: 37
    Attacks: Tail Whip/Horn Attack/Payback/Zen Headbutt

Name: Persian
    Attacks: Dig/Screech/Bite/Fury Swipes

Name: Togetic
    Type: Normal/Flying
    Attacks: Extrasensory/Fire Blast/AncientPower/Yawn

Name: Ambipom
    Attacks: Double Hit/Baton Pass/Astonish/U-turn

Name: Fearow
    Type: Normal/Flying
    Attacks: Aerial Ace/Assurance/Leer/Fury Attack

Name: Miltank
    Attacks: Body Slam/Rollout/Zen Headbutt/Milk Drink

PC Members of the Family

Name: Furret
    Attacks: Sucker Punch/Headbutt/Rock Smash/Quick Attack

Future Team Thoughts: Eevee is a possibility, and Teddiursa will be added as soon as possible. In fact, now that I'm armed with Surf, Rock Smash, and Flash, I believe I can get through Dark Cave without a problem! Until next update, later!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back