• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Best Rookie March 2011] Begin, Again (Kanto Journey RP)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    No spots currently open!
    OOC and SU thread is here.

151a.png

STAND UP >> Background

Kanto is an old region, holding many secrets still. It was the region where the first official pokémon trainers started the phenomena now known as Pokémon Journeying.

Kanto has changed over the years. It's landscape has somehow gotten more dramatic. It might be due to the outlandish pokémon that has started to move in; they might have changed the climate and the terrain. It's hotter and more lush, and in some places rivers and hills have even moved. The wide farmlands and fields that defines Kanto when compared to the surrounding regions are still there though. And there seem to always be something happening.

To become an official pokémon trainer, the path is long. First, aspiring trainers have to reach the allowed age of 10. Then they have to apply for a place at one of the two pokémon trainer academies in the region. Just getting a spot can take years. The oldest academy is Professor Cedar's Laboratory, situated in Pallet Town. Professor Cedar is a granddaughter of the late professor Oak, who was the inventor of the pokédex. Only in her late twenties, she is beautiful and sought after by men all over the region... but she is completely oblivious to them. The only thing she cares about are her students and her research on pokémon ethology. She also studies the three legendary birds, and if you bring the subject up, she might ask you to look for them in your travels.

The other academy is situated in Cerulean Cape, owned by Professor Bill. He is in his mid-fifties and he is obsessed with pokémon evolution and an avid inventor and technogeek. When he was younger, he spotted Mew, and he has been looking for a way to find it again ever since.

When aspiring trainers are accepted, they will move to live at the academy for one year. They will receive education from the professor to learn pokémon ethology, physiology, evolutions mechanics, battling and other skills etc. After that year, they will do a two part test. One part is a written exam and the other is a simple battling test to see if they have grasped the basics well enough to be able to be sent out on their journeys. If they pass, they will be given a starter pokémon and their very own pokédex, which holds their electronic pokémon trainer's license.

// Pokémon are used for many different things around the world. Pets, workers, actors, hobby battling, traveling companions... but only official pokémon trainers are allowed to pit pokémon against gym leaders with the hope of winning a gym badge with which they can later enter the pokémon league competition. And when official trainers battle each other, losing trainer has to pay the winning one, if it hasn't been agreed otherwise beforehand. Because this is how professional trainers earn money. If you aim your pokédex at a pokémon from close enough range, it will compare and identify that pokémon against the database. It can also identify registered trainers, but not hobby trainers. //

You are one of the trainers who have just graduated from Professor Cedar's laboratory in Pallet town and received a very first pokémon of your own. As such, you recognize the other players, but you don't necessarily know them well. You are starting your very own pokémon journey to visit all the cities in Kanto, stop by your own hometown of course, and beat all the gyms. If you manage to get 8 badges, you will be granted entrance into the Pokémon League Competition on the magnificent Indigo Plateau, and if you win there you will be a Pokémon Master... and immensely rich.

Do you have the skills to be number one?

BE BRAVE >> "Evil Teams"

The people dressed in black and the people dressed in white aren't the same. They are two different organisations, not well known but rumored to be called Team Kuro and Team Shiro respectively. It's clear that they despise each other and do everything they can to recruit people to their cause and keep them away from the other team.

Team Kuro is even more mysterious than the other team. They are rumored to be dealing with organized crime, using pokémon to reach their goals, whatever those may be. Some say they are really exploiting and using pokémon and seem to lack ethics.

Team Shiro
    hasn't got a good reputation either, as they have been known to sabotage pokémon competitions and gym activities, as well as assaulted professional trainers. Some say they do anything they can to terrorize those who keep and use pokémon, especially Team Kuro.

HOLD ON >> Starters

Professor Cedar's latest project involved the study of shiny pokémon and if/how their behavior and relation to humans were different from normal pokémon. That's why you will be given a shiny starter from her. You will not catch another shiny pokémon in the RP.
    1e.png
    4e.png
    7e.png
    495.png
    498.png
    501.png

Bulbasaur - Taken by Nakuzami as Kris Kollyns
    Charmander - Taken by Diamond1304 as Rowena Weallisien
    Squirtle - Taken by Tonko as Astrid Baker
    Snivy - Taken by Doctor Who as Isabella Axella Claire
    Tepig - Taken by killet513 as Anthony Hill
    Oshawott - Taken by Ash_Ketchum123 as Akihiko Shigeru

TIME IS NOW >> Rules

1. I'm the final judge on everything. I'm the Game Master (GM).

2. The RP will go chapter wise; I'll post an area with catchable pokémon and any special events, and you will play by posting in that area until the next area is up and you choose to move forward.

3. If you are battling to catch a pokémon, end your post with the pokéball shaking. I will determine whether the catch is successful or not, and what level the pokémon will be, depending on post quality and your level of creativity.

4. If you are battling another player, end your post with both pokémon struggling to get up, or with a dust cloud covering them or something like that. Because I will determine who wins, depending on quality of post and battle. UNLESS you've agreed on the winner beforehand.

5. I will tell you when your pokémon level up and are ready to evolve, and what attacks they know and learn. POKÉMON MAY LEARN UNLIMITED NUMBER OF MOVES.

6. There is no inventory or money; you'll "keep track" of it yourself. Try to be realistic; you can't afford everything and you won't find TMs, HMs or elemental stones unless I tell you so.

7. If you want in, submit a Sign Up (SU) and wait for me to either accept or reject you. Only 6 spots for now.
    -- Reservations only last 24 hours.

8. At the very least, post every week.

9. No bunnying/godmodding/powermodding.

10. This RP is PG-14, so keep it that way. No yucky wounds or heavy romance.

11. Trainers you invent yourself can have any pokémon you want on their team (not just the catchable ones) as long as it makes decent sense. (i.e. no legendaries)

COMPLETE THE QUEST >> The Sign Up Form

Name: (first and last)
    Age: (at least 11... because you did read the background, didn't you?)

History: (hometown, how you got accepted into the academy, how you fared in your graduation, as well as anything else about how you grew up) - at least 2 paragraphs.

Personality: (how do you react in different situations? how do people treat you and how do you treat them? what do you like/dislike?) - at least 1 -fat- paragraph.

Looks: (clothes, hair, body style, accessories etc.) - at least one fat paragraph as well.

Starter choice: (which of the 6 pokémon you'd like. One that's not already taken)

Theme song: (Link to any youtube song that fits your character! optional.)

The RP title is in honor of one of my favorite PC style skins, who's User CP menu sadly has stopped working xD​

Last edited:

pokemonmastertriplex

the ultamite pokemon master
    Years
  • Name: Tim

History: Tim grew up in pallet town His dream has always been to graduate the pokemon academy and become a trainer so at 8 years old he enrolled in the pokemon academy and graduated at 10 years old He was finally ready to become a trainer at age 11.

Personality: Kind,calm,energetic in battle,loves pokemon,treats people nicely,and he always gets treated nicely too.
    Looks: Tim wears a black shirt ,Blue jeans,has spiky hair,and wears a bandana

Starter choice: Tsutarja/snivy

Theme song: Black and white subway trainer battle

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    May I please reserve bulbasaur? I am preparing a write-up now. Thanks.

Cookiez

The Shining Light
    Years
  • Name: Zach Stryker
    History: Zach grew up in viridian city and at the age of nine he set of to pallet town, to enroll at the pokemon academy, Zach passed with high marks in battling but only a 68 out of 100, at the age of 12 he completed the acadamy and waited a year to become a trainer.
    Personality: Zach is very head strong and reckless and has a battle style very similar, Offence, offence, did I mention offence? He usually gets along well with others but if he gets mad you're best chance to survive is run like there's no tomorrow...
    Looks: Short Black hair that's always covered by a red and black hat, about 5 foot 7, Usually wears a black shirt with a red flame on it and ripped jeans
    Starter choice: Tepig Nicknamed Blaze

Theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvu1Yr3Ohk

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Seems I'll have to change the rules a little. Not that it would help, perhaps... @Cookies and pokemonmastertriplex, neither of you read the story properly enough. Do it again and try to write another SU. Your current SUs are both rejected.

You can't enroll at the academy until you are 10 years old. You are normally there for 1 year, unless you fail the exam. Then you have to go another 6 months and do the tests over again and so on. And as soon as you graduate, you get your starter and pokédex.

Beechlgz is reserved for Bulbasaur.

Doctor Who is reserved for Snivy.

pokemonmastertriplex

the ultamite pokemon master
    Years
  • Name: Tim

History: Tim grew up in pallet town His dream has always been to graduate the pokemon academy and become a trainer so at 10 years old he enrolled in the pokemon academy.

Personality: Kind,calm,energetic in battle,loves pokemon,treats people nicely,and he always gets treated nicely too.
    Looks: Tim wears a black shirt ,Blue jeans,has spiky hair,and wears a bandana

Starter choice: Charmander

Theme song: Black and white subway trainer battle

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @ pokemonmastertriplex - You should train your grammar a little. And your SU is way too thin.
    I'm sorry, but in this RP you have to be able to write bulky posts. Rejected.

Marina E. Silver is reserved for Tepig. Remember to look at the SU form properly :3

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
    Years
  • Alright I admit to reusing the character as she never got a chance to enter a roleplay (which is why it was done so quickly anyway OTL) so I hope you don't mind.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Cookiez

The Shining Light
    Years
  • Name: Zach Stryker
    History: Zach grew up in viridian city and at the age of 11 he set of to pallet town, to enroll at the pokemon academy, Zach passed with high marks in battling but only a 68 out of 100, at the age of 12 he completed the acadamy and waited a year to become a trainer.
    Personality: Zach is very head strong and reckless and has a battle style very similar, Offence, offence, did I mention offence? He usually gets along well with others but if he gets mad you're best chance to survive is run like there's no tomorrow...
    Looks: Short Black hair that's always covered by a red and black hat, about 5 foot 7, Usually wears a black shirt with a red flame on it and ripped jeans
    Starter choice: Squirtle Nicknamed Squirt

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Name: Rose Douglas

History: "I was born in Cerulean under very typical circumstances. Mom went to hospital, dad was by her side. I came into the world. But I think that's where things stopped being normal. Ever since then my home life has been one major disturbance after another. Dad was arrested when I was six. I just remember mum struggling alone without him and there being a lot of strangers coming in and out the house, usually people from the police. Mom and dad never let me know what it was all about, only that my dad was an innocent man. I had to find out for myself what the deal was years later at the Cerulean Academy.

But ever since he's been in and out of police custody, and since about four years ago, he's never been free. It's not one of these things that the whole community catches wind about and spreads around. This was all kept quiet. Mom said I shouldn't tell anyone at the academy, or say he's working overseas or something like that. But a few people, somehow, seemed to already know. And they hated me, for what, I didn't know. They seemed to have some kind of personal agenda against me.

Later I realised that these people were only prejudiced against me because my dad was in jail. They must have thought that I'd turn out to be a criminal, just like he was accused of being. But my dad never did much of raising me anyway, I doubt it would rub off.

Well, turns out he actually was guilty all along. He had been involved in some kind of... I dunno, it was confusing. Like protest stuff, he wanted to make some sort of difference. Then he got sucked into some extremist group who were all against cruelty to pokemon. Totally fanatical. Well, that's how it's been described to me. I honestly don't know the full story.

It didn't affect my decision to study to become a pokemon trainer. When pokemon willingly fight, it's not cruelty, I know that much. I was a bit disheartened that I didn't leave the academy with exceptional grades, but I did okay. I guess all the stress just got on top of me and I didn't perform as well as I could have."

Personality: "What am I like. I guess I'm kind of quiet. Maybe even a bit aloof, I must admit. I just can't be bothered with people that much. I like my peace, my space. But that's not to say I'm anti-social. No. I like company. Good company. Not trouble-makers and rumour mongerers and two-faced, fork-tongued snakes like the ones you sometimes see slithering the streets today. I must sound old saying that, but I do hear there were times when people were far more caring and civil with one another.

I think I must sound harsh and a total kill-joy too. Well, maybe I am, to some. I just like to be fair, really, and I don't like immoral, unfair people."

Looks: "Well, I got this thing going where I love the little woman in rags look. It just looks so cultural and rural. I usually wear a pair of loose flowing pants, a fitting long-sleeve t-shirt, usually white or cream, and a greyish cream long cardigan that goes as far as half-way down my things and covers my hands quite a lot. Sometimes I wear brown outdoor boots, other times I might wear sandals, it all depends on my mood. I wear a wide variety of shoes. It's a shame I can't take many with me.

I have a slightly Mediterranean look about me. I'm gently tanned and I have dark brown eyes and near-black straight hair which is either left to hang down or pinned back off my face with clips. Sometimes I tie it back, especially when I'm doing things."

Starter choice: "I always thought bulbasaur was cute. I don't care that it's evolved forms are butt ugly, they're tough and tricky and therefore useful in battle. Besides, you can't judge a pokemon by its looks."

Theme song: You really sure you want me to choose Rose's theme song? Consider that I have next to no musical taste whatsoever and don't know many songs past pokemon game music. So I will just post this since it's the closest thing I can find to her character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-LdQT5K7Wc&feature=related

Marina E. Silver

7/10/11 R.I.P
    Years
  • Name: Kiana Silver

History: Kiana grew up in Pallet town. Orphaned as an infant she was raised in an orphanage where she wasn't allowed to be loud and she wasn't allowed to have fun. After several years living there Kiana applied for the academy at age ten. When she applied she gave herself a last name since no one knew the last names of her deceased parents and after five years of trying she was finally accepted into Professor Cedar's Laboratory. She scored a 95% on the written exam only missing points on questions associated with ethology, and she passed the battle exam with flying colors.

During Kiana's year at the academy she kept to herself not introducing herself to anyone and not making any friends for two reasons. One who wants to be friends with an orphan who made up her last name, and Two she wasn't there to make friends she was there to become a Pokemon Trainer. She studied intensely only having trouble with ethology her best subject being battling.

Personality: Kiana can be cold at times, mainly in battles. when someone is being bullied, or when she just plain doesn't like someone, which is rare. She is a fan of people who are talkative because she's a quiet person and she can't stand people who are mean to others. Most people just stay away from her unless they know her and the people who do treat her fairly with respect. Kiana lives by the saying Treat others the way you want to be treated and unless she really dislikes someone she treats everyone with respect. In most situations she'll be the one to stay calm and together but if someone she cares about is hurt or in danger she'll act rashly not even bothering to think.

Looks: Kiana has dark colored skin with a face covered in pale freckles. Just to be different than everyone else her long straight hair is dyed a rich Purple. She stands tall for her age at 5"9' and weighs 167 lbs. Kiana always wears a red tube top, black skinny jeans and red sneakers so her three tattoos can be seen. On her left shoulder is a tattoo of a phoenix, her right arm a black rose surrounded by flames and on her upper back right between her shoulder blades is a tattoo of the legendary Pokemon Moltres. She has each of her ears pierced three times and has just recently gotten her lip pierced.

Starter choice: Tepig

Theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0btW-RWhbI

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Doctor Who - I knew I would get something amazing from you :) You are accepted - with flying colors.

Beechlgz - An unusual SU, written in first person.
    There's only one problem. Since we'll be playing this chapter-wise, everybody will need to start in Pallet. As such, you will have to change her history to having enrolled at the Pallet Academy instead (maybe she couldn't stand all the fuzz about her family in Cerulean, and moved to live at the Pallet Laboratory instead?). Plus, only Cedar gives out shiny starters.
    Until you solve this, you are pending~ (and good choice of song :3 ) (and her father was in Team Shiro, am I right?)

Cookiez - You got a second chance, but you didn't read the SU form properly enough. The SU is too thin. I'm sorry, but for this RP I'll have to reject you.

Marina E. Silver - EDIT: I read it wrong xD You are accepted.

Ash's Pikachu - Oshawott is reserved for you. Oh, you have a quote in your signature from the same song as the section titles in this RP's first post is from ^^

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • Oh, a chapter-based one, this looks great. Is there still space? I'd love a spot if so. I'd take either Squirtle or Charmander or... whatever's left, really.

Marina E. Silver

7/10/11 R.I.P
    Years
  • She spent five years trying to get in the academy. She applied at age ten and wasn't able to get in until she was fifteen, graduating when she was sixteen

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Tonko - I'll reserve "whatever's left" for you ^^

Marina - Yes, I'm very sorry for forgetting that line when I'd read the whole SU. You are accepted properly now.

Back