• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Best Rookie March 2011] Begin, Again (Kanto Journey RP)

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
Years
  • Here we go!

Name: Astrid Baker

History: Astrid was born and raised in Pewter City. Her mother is one of the archeologists working at the Museum there, and her father is a work-at-home dad who does editing for a bicycle magazine. She's an only child, though her father acquired a couple of pet pokemon when she was quite young, a Meowth and a Rattata (oddly they were good friends with each other), who were bred to be quite tame. She did very well in school, and perhaps influenced by her mother's work on archeological discoveries, wanted to go out and explore the world, and learn about (living!) pokemon, not just fossils.

She is an only child, and had the misfortune of being the only one in her class in first grade to wear glasses. One of the other kids declared her a nerd, and it stuck. She didn't have the best start making friends, and as such at the end of elementary school, only had a couple of people she'd ever call her friends so far, both of them slightly on the "reject" side of the schoolyard social life (Ben was two years older than her but only one grade ahead due to dyslexia, and Nina, called "Ninny", was a tomboy who got into fights because she also liked to read a lot and had a BIG temper about being teased).

Her parents are both very bookish, and neither is particularly adventurous, so it took her two persistent years of begging, promising, and trying to learn new skills to show off before they let her apply to the Pallet Academy at age 10. She was accepted mostly on the strength of her intellect and theory skills—her practical abilities didn't impress the Academy, but her brains balanced out that lack—and it took her a couple of extra years to be able to prove her battling abilities to the faculty. On graduation, she's now considered competent enough to pass, though everyone expects her to end up more like a Pokemon Professor than a Gym Leader.

She's kept in touch with her friends faithfully, but still spends a lot of time reading—she didn't make any close new friends at the Academy, just some general acquaintances/buddies.

Personality: With a tendency to remember what she's read or learned in /theory/, Astrid sometimes gets confounded by what actually occurs in practice, and this is true for everything from pokemon to people. Thus she tends to appear to others as either deep in thought (or nose deep in a book), or quite obviously startled or confused. She's even tempered, at least, which prevents overwhelming frustration when she realizes something isn't working out the way it's "supposed" to, but on the flipside, she doesn't always react very urgently to stuff that might need quick responses. (Such as, say, in battle! Hence the somewhat slow graduation).

If she's paying attention to something, she will remember it very well. If she's not, she may not notice it at all. Such as reading a book while walking down the street, and then walking out into traffic. Okay—that only happened ONE time, and her father was there, and he freaked out so much that she does actually watch for lights and vehicles now. Mostly, anyway. She tends to always take the same paths from one place to another anyway (she hasn't quite realized yet that the /theory/ of exploration is going to be paired up with the /reality/ of walking straight out into the great "I haven't walked that way before.")

She's a friendly girl, certainly not rude at all (not on purpose anyway), but not exactly open, aside from to her friends back home—she's not very empathic, and tends to act to most people like a cashier at a store—polite, helpful, but that's about it. With her two friends, though, she's spent a lot of time on daydreams and conversations about what great futures lie ahead of them all (Ben wants to build houses—Ninny wants to write adventure books).

Looks: Astrid is quite tall for her age at 5"7', and looks like a stringbean. She's got long brown hair in a ponytail, and bits tend to escape from it as the day goes on. She tans pretty dark, but it goes away over the winter. Her eyes are brownish-green and she still wears glasses. She's skinny—not slender, just skinny. When she bothers to think about it, she wishes she was a little curvier, but figures it'll happen when it happens. She wears capri-looking pants or shorts with sandals when she can, and cargo pants with runners or boots if it's too cold. On the top half is usually one of her Pewter Museum tee-shirts (her mom has an infinite supply of those), her favourite is the dark grey one with the white Omanyte shell logo. She'll wear unbuttoned plaid or tropical-print shirts over the top. She has a coat with the logo from her dad's magazine on the back for when it gets cold.

Starter choice: Squirtle (or "whatever's left" hehe)

Theme song: Hot Air Balloon by Owl City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx77HRbRKQQ (Seems to go well with her theory/dreamy side vs her upcoming venture out into the "real world")

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I love listening to your theme songs when I read your SUs ^^

Tonko - You are accepted (with Squirtle). And if you want to pull along Astrid's friends as NPCs (though played by you, hmm) on the journey, it's of course fine.

HunterZero - I've asked a friend to participate but if he declines or doesn't respond within a day, you're next in queue.

Last edited:

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • Oooh, thanks, Red's Hawt! I thought of having her write to them along the way, but perhaps when she meets them again at Pewter, one or both might come along. If they do, will they be able to have a pokemon or two, perhaps just as non-battling ones (like a messenger Spearow, or something), or like a hobbyist-battler who isn't a gym challenger or anything. I don't mind at all if you'd rather not, just curious so I can think about general future plans for 'em. I don't intend or want to have a roster of eighteen battling pokemon via NPCs--god, what a logistic nightmare, lol.

Looking forward to this :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Read the background carefully in the first post (I know it's a wall of text but xD). People aren't allowed to "hobby" battle pokémon. It's against the law. Only trainers who have graduated from the academies are allowed to battle other trainers. Well, it would be ok against wild pokémon I guess. Farmers would like their pokémon to fight off pesting Rattatas, for instance, and travelers would like to defend themselves with their companion pokémon from wild ones.

But as long as it's only one pokémon each and it's more of a pet, it's fine :)

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • Roger roger, I'll keep it to a pet/errand pokemon of some kind then.
    Looking forward to seeing what the newer pokemon who've moved into the region are :D

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
    Years
  • Hey there! So this is what you've been talking about... If you don't mind, I'd like to reserve Charmander please :D I'll have my SU up in a jiffy. (And by that I mean, some time today.)

EDIT: Here it is! Please let me know if I need to change anything.

Name: Akihiko Shigeru

History: Shigeru belongs to a very rich family. His father, Takehiko, owns a company that has become even more successful than the Silph Co. His family lives near Celadon City, where their mansion stood in the middle of a forest. Why would a rich family decide to live in the woods? Because although they were wealthy, his family believed that they should always try to live as simple as they could. They never allowed Shigeru to go out of the mansion. Guards of all sizes protected all the possible entries and exits. But Shigeru didn't care. He loved staying inside the mansion. He wasn't excused from education, though, so he was home-schooled. He took on the normal subjects, or as we like to call it, the boring ones: Mathematics, Science, Kanto History, and English. There was one subject that he liked most, and that was about Pokémon. Everyday, he went through all the same routines. On his eighth birthday, Shigeru received a very special present: an Aipom. He wasn't allowed to own that Pokémo legally, so technically, it was his father's. He named the Aipom Hikari, and she became his first and only friend.

Two years later, while Shigeru was watching television, he saw an advertisement about the Academy. After watching, he convinced his parents to allow him to apply. His mother didn't agree, but Takehiko did, on one condition. Nobody was to know of his last name, and he wasn't allowed to tell anyone about him being the son of the owner of one of the biggest companies known to the world. Of course, being just young and all, he didn't understand why, yet he didn't want to ask why because it was good enough for him to be allowed to apply for the Academy. The very next day, he was taken by his dad's assistant to Pallet Town. They took a normal car instead of the family limo, because that would cause too much of a distraction. It was his first time out the mansion, so he was really ecstatic to step out of the car and into the the Academy. First, he took an exam, which he aced because most of the questions were about Pokémon. Then he took a practical exam, which he didn't do good at. But thanks to his brains, he got in and stayed there for about a year.

In that one year of staying in the Academy, he rarely had anyone to talk to. He didn't make that much friends, because the first thing they would ask is what his name was. He was praised for his brains, but criticized for his practical skills. He wasn't used to these activities. He technically grew up doing nothing in the outside world. Thankfully, his smartness got him through the year. It took him two tries to pass the finals. He always passed the written exam but always failed the battling test. He trained with all his might after his failure and when the time came, he barely passed it and he was now an official Pokémon trainer.

Personality: Because of home-school, he is very knowledgeable. He loves reading books and is always ready to learn something new about Pokémon. He is rather calm and confident...when not in battle. When he is in battle, he tends to forget about everything he has learned. He gets very nervous and starts calling out attacks that the Pokémon doesn't even know. Sometimes, he even makes up his own like, "Power Slap" and "Super Ultramagnetic Kick."

Looks: He stands at a height of 5'11". He has black hair and brown eyes. He wears glasses that has a black frame. A blue-and-white jacket covers the upper part of his body and under it is a black shirt. The jacket has cloud designs on its back. Black pants cover the lower part of his body, with belt clips to help him carry his Pokéballs. He sports a pair of simple black shoes. His skin complexion is fair and to make things easier, he is Japanese.

Starter choice: Charmander (if he's not taken yet. If so, then Bulbasaur or whatever's left)

Theme song: Considering the fact that he's a bad battler, I think this song will suit him best : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHItAqaW_EA

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Here is my corrected sign-up.

Name: Rose Douglas

History: "I was born in Cerulean under very typical circumstances. Mom went to hospital, dad was by her side. I came into the world. But I think that's where things stopped being normal. Ever since then my home life has been one major disturbance after another. Dad was arrested when I was six. I just remember mum struggling alone without him and there being a lot of strangers coming in and out the house, usually people from the police. Mom and dad never let me know what it was all about, only that my dad was an innocent man. I had to find out for myself what the deal was years later at the Professor Cedar's Academy in Pallet Town.

But ever since he's been in and out of police custody, and since about four years ago, he's never been free. It's not one of these things that the whole community catches wind about and spreads around. This was all kept quiet. When we moved to Pallet Town to get away from all the bad memories, Mom said I shouldn't tell anyone at the academy about my dad, or just say he's working overseas or something like that. But a few of the students somehow seemed to already know. And they hated me, for what, I didn't know. They seemed to have some kind of personal agenda against me.

Later I realised that these people were only prejudiced against me because my dad was in jail. They must have thought that I'd turn out to be a criminal, or that I supported my dad's ideas. But my dad never did much of raising me anyway, so I doubt it would rub off.

Well, turns out he actually was guilty all along. He had been involved in some kind of... I dunno, it was confusing. Like protest stuff, he wanted to make some sort of difference. Then he got sucked into some extremist group who were all against cruelty to pokemon. Totally fanatical. Well, that's how it's been described to me. I honestly don't know the full story.

It didn't affect my decision to study to become a pokemon trainer. When pokemon willingly fight, it's not cruelty, I know that much. I was a bit disheartened that I didn't leave the academy with exceptional grades, but I did okay. I guess all the stress just got on top of me and I didn't perform as well as I could have."

Personality: "What am I like. I guess I'm kind of quiet. Maybe even a bit aloof, I must admit. I just can't be bothered with people that much. I like my peace, my space. But that's not to say I'm anti-social. No. I like company. Good company. Not trouble-makers and rumour mongerers and two-faced, fork-tongued snakes like the ones you sometimes see slithering the streets today. I must sound old saying that, but I do hear there were times when people were far more caring and civil with one another.

I think I must sound harsh and a total kill-joy too. Well, maybe I am, to some. I just like to be fair, really, and I don't like immoral, unfair people."

Looks: "Well, I got this thing going where I love the little woman in rags look. It just looks so cultural and rural. I usually wear a pair of loose flowing pants, a fitting long-sleeve t-shirt, usually white or cream, and a greyish cream long cardigan that goes as far as half-way down my things and covers my hands quite a lot. Sometimes I wear brown outdoor boots, other times I might wear sandals, it all depends on my mood. I wear a wide variety of shoes. It's a shame I can't take many with me.

I have a slightly Mediterranean look about me. I'm gently tanned and I have dark brown eyes and near-black straight hair which is either left to hang down or pinned back off my face with clips. Sometimes I tie it back, especially when I'm doing things."

Starter choice: "I always thought bulbasaur was cute. I don't care that it's evolved forms are butt ugly, they're tough and tricky and therefore useful in battle. Besides, you can't judge a pokemon by its looks."

Theme song: Closest thing I can find to her character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-LdQ...eature=related

To answer your question, yes her dad is a Team Shiro man. Not very high in the ranks, but a sort of semi-martyr because he took a hit for the team (went to jail). Thus why Rose couldn't really avoid at least someone knowing about him.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Beechlgz - Accepted

Ash_Ketchum123 - You are number 4 in line for a spot~

Years
  • Done, RHCP! :) I can't wait for it to start! I'm SO excited!!! ^^

Name: Rowena Weallisien (pronounced where-lee-see-yearn)

History: Brought up and lived in Fuchsia City, she comes from a slightly rich family. Although, she says her family is an average one, her family is indeed quite rich but not as rich as other families in Kanto. She never had any friends when she was studying in the academy. The reason why she doesn't have friends is because others see her as a nerd or freak, as she's always diligent in her academics.

She has never had any strong support from her parents as they both are always at work. When she was young, she would read books or take a stroll in the garden, when her parents were out. She applied to enroll into the academy herself, since her parents pretty much didn't bother, and waited almost a year to be accepted. There, she excelled in Ethology, Mythology and did very well in subjects requiring theory. Unlike other children from wealthy families, she didn't grow up as a pampered child. In fact, she has learned how to be independent by herself and knows several life skills, such as cooking, first aid and self defense. Before her grandfather passed away, he taught her how to defend herself from wild savage Pokemon and men that prey on young girls and women. Somewhere in her heart, she wants to be part of something, something big and famous, though she can't figure out what. That's why, she decided to enroll to become a Pokemon Trainer as she thinks that by being with Pokemon, she could maybe one day find out her true purpose in life.

Personality: She's an introvert and cannot socialize with people properly. In school, she would stutter whenever the teacher called upon her and was given mean names by many in her class. Ironically, she yearns for at least a friend to talk to and share her feelings. She may seem to ignore the insults she gets, but deep down in her, are emotional scars. She's a pacifist and believes in using physical force as a sheer last resort. She used to be very bubbly and cheerful when she was a toddler, but ever since she started schooling and slowly lost mutual communication with her parents, she never ever showed her true kind and caring self, instead masks it with a face that wears a dying smile.

Looks: She has black hair that's slightly brown, pale azure eyes and smooth light beige skin. She likes wearing white and light-colored clothing. She usually sports a sky blue floral blouse and a snow grey skirt. Her straight hair is usually let down neatly, sometimes she ties them into a ponytail. She wears a rainbow-colored band on her left wrist which can be used to tie her ponytail and a blue-white wristwatch on her non-writing right hand.

Starter choice: Charmander.

Theme song: We Will Be Heroes (Her dreams to become something big and to have a friend, as stated in her history.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcBHmOvIfgE&feature=related

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Diamond1304 - Accepted. (note, Ash_Ketchum and HunterZero, I had already reserved a spot for Diamond, so I'm not just skipping you two ^^)

Now we are waiting for Ash's Pikachu to post his SU. If he gets accepted, there are no more free spots this time, come back and sign up again if a spot opens up in the future!

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Name: Joshua Wick.

History: Joshua was born in Blackthorn city, the home of many great pokemon trainers and was selected by the dragon elders to be tutored by them. This training was also used on both Lance and Clair. However before the first session took place Joshua was forced to move to Celadon city in kanto due to his father obtaining a job there. After this Joshua was devastated and became depressed. He would rarely speak, if at all, but when he heard of places available in the professor cedar academy he applied, waited two years and he was accepted.

These were his golden years to date, he was top in almost all of his classes and was rather popular due to his caring nature. He developed social skills and many students admired him, others envied him but he was kind to all. He passed his final exams with flying colours, this resulted in a huge rise in confidence.

Personality: Joshua is usually a kind, happy go lucky sort of character. He rarely sees anyone as someone he "hates" but does have a dislike for a few people. In situations of danger, he becomes frightened and rushes his decisions, however he has been working on that poor trait and it has improved somewhat. In most situations he stays relaxed and will oblige to what he is advised to do, if he agrees with it that is. On occasions when he is nervous he becomes the sort of person who likes to crack the odd bad joke and irritate others, but this is not on purpose as he is just trying to make himself comfortable. He has always had an infatuation for pokemon of the dragon type, this most likely comes from his hometown being Blackthorn, the home of Dragon's Den.

Looks: Joshua is a relatively pale young man with eyes that resemble emerald's. He has his hair gelled into a spiky style, which is coloured chestnut-brown. He is usually seen wearing a green jumper, similar in style to that of the one Green in the manga wore during the R/B/Y saga. He also wears a pair of faded denim jeans and a pair of black plimsolls. On cold occasions he can be seen wearing a snood and a black and pink hooded jumper.

Starter choice: Oshewett

Theme song: Dragonball Burst Limit Opening Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXSHcq3prw)

[[I think I'm too late but still, I thought why not.]]

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Turkish Delight - You are number 3 in queue for a spot this round, since Ash's Pikachu dropped out :3

Meanwhile, while we wait for the last member, I am actually going to post the first chapter. From now on, out of character speech goes within clammers looking something like these ((OOC: blablah. )), or in the OOC thread found in the Roleplay Corner. I am the only one who is allowed to make OOC-only-posts.

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1
    Pallet Town
    (you may of course name it whatever you like, or not name it at all. It's completely up to you)
    Chapter Theme Song

Pallet hasn't changed much. It's still a small town with only one school and a few shops selling food and small stuff. The houses are pretty much spread out between some low hills and there are few real city streets in the middle of the town. Surrounding Pallet are many farms and open fields. To the west lies a forest that's rumored to go all the way to Johto. To the north lies route 1, leading through farms and fields to Viridian City. To the south lies the sea, but there is no big harbor; there is only a small pier to able people to bathe at the somewhat rocky beach and keep a few smaller boats.

On the eastern side of Pallet lies the Cedar Laboratory, synonymously called the Pallet Academy. That is where you have been living for the past year/years, unless you came from Pallet to start with. There are several buildings in the complex, one being the real laboratory, one being the building where lessons and battles are held and one being the dormitories building where you lived. This morning is the very morning you will receive your starter pokémon from professor Cedar and set off from Pallet on your pokémon league challenge.

When you arrive in the laboratory, professor Cedar will give you your starter, your pokédex with the electronic trainer's license, as well as five pokéballs you get for free from the academy. If you ask her about the glamorous brass statue of the three legendary birds that is standing in the middle of her lab room against a wall, she will also tell you how is completely fascinated by the trio and how she once went and tried to find one of them... If you hear her out, you will receive a case with a color of your choice, to hold gym badges in.

After that, you will set off towards route 1.

Posts: Minimum number of posts is 1, but be sure to make it long enough then.
    You are allowed to write several posts, as long as you cover the chapter in the end.

Catchable pokémon: Only your starter.

You will not interact with other players in this area. - you all visit the professor at different times of the day.

Last edited:

Marina E. Silver

7/10/11 R.I.P
    Years
  • Kiana yawned her eyes opening. Mmm...what time is it? she thought as she sat up rubbing her eyes before glancing at the clock. The time on it read 8:30 am. She grinned getting out of bed quickly. "Todays the day!" she exclaimed excitedly rushing to the mirror in her room and giggling at her bed head. In less than ten minutes Kiana was dressed and ready to go and she bounded down the stairs of the Orphanage. Her home for the last sixteen years. Man am I glad i get to leave this place she thought but forced a smile upon seeing Ms. James the caretaker of the orphaned in Pallet town.

"Now do you have everything you need Kiana?" Ms. James asked not even bothering to hide the fact that she was happy Kiana would finally be out of there.

"Yes Ms. James I've got everything" Kiana answered for once holding her tongue and not saying something about the womans tone. Don't want a fight on my last day here.

"Alright now off you go you don't want to be late" Ms. James said eying Kiana with disapproval of her dyed hair, tattoos and piercings.

"Goodbye Ms. James" Kiana said through clenched teeth before turning and exiting the orphanage without a glance back at the woman she had hated for the past fourteen years of her life. Once she was out of sight from the building Kiana took off at a full sprint toward Cedar Laboratory. Once she reached the eastern side of town she ran straight to the lab before stopping, catching her breath and walking inside. "Good Morning Professor!" she called out as she entered.

"Ah Kiana Good Morning." Professor Cedar said smiling at her. "Are you excited to get your starter Pokemon Kiana?"

"Very excited Professor, do you still have Tepig? or did someone get her before me" Kiana asked politely hoping that Tepig was still here.

"Your the first one Kiana so Tepig is still here is that the one you want?" Professor Cedar answered smiling as she picked up the Pokeball containing Tepig.

"I'm sure Professor" Kiana said smiling as she happily accepted the Pokeball.

"Thats not all you get this morning Kiana. I'm also giving everyone a pokedex, and five Pokeballs each." she then handed Kiana said items.

"Thanks Professor" Kiana said and as she put the pokedex and empty Pokeballs in her bag she spotted a glamorous statue made of brass. She recognized Moltres quickly and smiled because the only reason she did was because of the tattoo on her back. After a moment she recognized the other two legendary birds. "Professor may i ask why you have a statue of the three legendary bird Pokemon?"

Professor Cedar smiled at her. "Of course. You see I'm completely fascinated with the three legendary birds. Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltres. A few years ago i went a tried to find one of them but was unable to." the professor then turned going to her desk and came back with a small red case. "Here take this. It's a case for holding gym badges it will help you a lot on your journey."

Kiana smiled accepting the case and putting it in her bag. "Thank you Professor" she then turned and after waving goodbye ran out of the lab. "Alright Tepig come on out!" she shouted excitedly tossing her Pokeball into the air. A red beam shot out of it and a small orange and black pig Pokemon materialized in front of her. "aww your soo cute. Hmm now what to name you"

"Te...Tepig!" the Pokemon said looking up at his new trainer.

"I got it, your name is gonna be Jet. D o you like that?" Kiana said smiling.

"Tepig!" Jet said happily.

"Good" Kiana said pulling out her map "alright Jet lets head to route one" she said happily running through her hometown with her Pokemon by her side thrilled that her journey has now officially started.

(OOC: sorry if this is too long, i had a lot to say :))

Years
  • Chapter One: Pallet Town

"Beep beep, beep beep! Beep beep, beep beep!" 
    Shutting off the electronic alarm clock, Rowena muttered in a sleepy voice, "Dumb alarm clock, why must you wake me up so early?" Looking at the clock which had come with a built-in calendar, she saw the date number and an electronic signal was shown on the clock, reminding her that she had something on today. What do I have today? She couldn't remembered what important thing she had to attend to. 

Rummaging for her personal organizer, she found the silvery-pink ornate notebook under a stack of textbooks she was studying the previous night and flipped it to the page for today. "First day of being a Pokemon Trainer. Visit Prof. Cedar at the Lab. Early bird catches the worm!" Oh, she finally remembered now. Today's the day she received her starter Pokemon! How could she be so forgetful! She quickly gulped down her breakfast and went for a quick shower. After touching up on those sensitive spots on her face, she left her room in a hurry, remembering to bring along her purse and a notebook with her favourite pink/blue-styled pen. Though she had a feeling she didn't need the notebook, she brought it along just in case she needed it. Like taking down battling notes, for example. And with that assuring thought in her mind, she rushed down to the Cedar Laboratory.

Stepping into the laboratory, panting and nearly out of breath, Rowena politely greeted Professor Cedar. "Good morning, professor. I hope I'm not late and if I am, I apologize." Her voice had a very obvious nervous tone. 

"Oh no, you're not late. Why your still earlier than the rest! Here's the Charmander which you always wanted, hope you too would be best friends." The professor said with a warm smile that made Rowena wanted to smile too, but she kept herself in check and remained serious. 

"I'm also giving you a Pokedex and 5 Poke Balls each. I'm sure you know what they are for, I've heard that you are one clever girl." The professor praised. 

"Th-thank you!" She said shyly, with an embarrassed smile on her face. Then, something in the laboratory caught her eye. It was a brass status of 3 seemingly special bird Pokemon. Wait....I know them. I've learned about them birefly in Mythology lessons last year. Don't you forget now, Rowena? Remember whatever you know may be put to good use! Ah hah! She finally got it, the 3 legendary birds; Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno! But why a statue here?

"Umm..pro-professor..?" She started off nervously. "Why is there a brass status of the 3 legendary birds; Motlres, Zapdos and articuno in the lab? It...it just seems strange to put them in a place like this because.."

"Because they're worth a more respectable place than a mere school lab, you mean? Don't worry, I'm not offended. Actually, thinking of that, I think you're quite observant." The professor then made her way over to her desk and reached out into a drawer and taking out a sky blue case. "I've always wanted to find one of them but Lady Luck hasn't been on my side. I was always awed and amazed by them and wanted to find out more about their greatness. It's not just because they're legendaries that I admire them, but also of their immense power and sheer beauty and grace. Let us stop beating about the bush and cut to the chase, that's what you youths would say right? Here is a case to keep all the gym badges you are awarded in. Keep it safe!"

Rowena admired the professor for her pure gentleness and kindness. Respectfully, she thanked the professor and bade her farewell. In return, Professor Cedar wished her good luck in her journey.

When she came out onto Route 1, she sent out her Charmander. "Hi! I'm Rowena and I'll be your Trainer. I hope that we can be the best of friends!" "Char! Char!" The Charmander replied, smiling cheerfully at her Trainer. Aww, it's so cute!

"I think...I'll name you..Amber! That's it, from now on, you'll be known as Amber!" Amber just smiled back and Rowena took that as a sign that it loved its name.

(OOC: You wanted a long post? If it's too short, I could expand it if you want. I still can think of more things to add but I'll keep it this way if you're fine with it.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @ Marina - Good first post! Not at all too long, it's a good length.

Kiana got Tepig (male, lv 5) from professor Cedar!
    Kiana got a pokédex and five pokéballs!
    Kiana got a red gym badge case!

@ Diamond - That is long enough :) Don't be afraid to let your creativity flow in later chapters though~ I like how you portrayed Cedar.

Rowena got Charmander (female, lv 5) from professor Cedar!
    Rowena got a pokédex and five pokéballs!
    Rowena got a sky blue gym badge case!

If you want another gender for your starter, just state so. I'll let you choose for your starter, but for pokémon you'll catch, chance will decide ;) Unless you beg.

You can check the level and attacks of your pokémon in the OOC-thread's first post.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Chapter 1 Day 1

Rose stood outside in her bare feet, the cool paving stones of her back garden waking her up. The plants were covered in a light sparkling dew. Rose reflected on its beauty, knowing there was far more of it to come in the world. She took a deep breath of the fresh morning air before her mother poked her head from around the back door.

"Aren't you hungry?"

"No... I'm fine. I'll take something with me to eat later." Rose smiled in a dreamy state. She was too excited to be hungry.

"Well, I'll put some pancakes in some plastic wrap for you..." Rose's mother disappeared back behind the door.

Rose could tell that this was awkward for her mother. She was probably trying to stay strong for Rose, but struggling to do so. Her young fragile daughter was going out on her pokemon journey. Rose was pretty much the last person left in her life. Rose's grandparents had passed away, and her uncles lived in other regions. Rose did feel guilty for leaving her, but at the same time she had studied for this for the past two years. She couldn't let all that time and energy go to waste.

Later, as Rose was ready and heading out the door, her mother ambushed her in a surprise embrace.

"Mom!" Rose choked from being squeezed so hard. "You... you sure you don't want to come with me? We could be like a cool team."

"Rosie..." her mother began, "You need to learn to look after yourself. I'm not always going to be here for you."

"Exactly mom, we should stick together while we can, right?"

"Go!" Rose's mother gave her a sudden shove as a joke. "Before those second thoughts get the better of you!"

Rose returned a wave and a sorrowful smile, before heading of slowly down the road, backpack in her hand, dragging across the ground. Not many people were up yet and the morning bird chorus was still in full swing. The walk down the road had a strange calmness about it. The sky glowed with sunlight behind the silhouettes of the trees. It had a pinkish colour to it. Rose almost felt as though it was just for her, that her home town was saying goodbye to her. More likely, though, it was because Rose wasn't used to being up at this time in the morning.

Professor Cedar's Laboratory even seemed different this morning. The big white side wall was lit up an orangey pink from the sky and sunlight. Rose went inside to ask for her first pokemon.

When Professor Cedar noticed Rose, she sprung to life, getting up out of her seat and arranging the pokeballs on her desk. Upon realising it was Rose, her face looked a little blank.

"Good morning, Professor Cedar." Rose tried to be as respectful as she possibly could.

"You're Rose, right?" Cedar didn't return the greeting. "You passed your battling exam on a technicality, and no more. You written exam was only mediocre. I'm honestly a little reluctant to give you your pokemon and license."

"You sure that's me? I think I did okay."

"Anyway..." Porofessor Cedar shoved her disappointment to the side. "Congratulations on becoming a pokemon trainer! Here are four pokemon, you can have any one you like. Choose from: bulbasaur, squirtle, snivy or oshawott."

"I thought there were six?" Rose cocked her head.

"There were six, but someone got here before you. I hope you weren't counting on charmander or tepig." Cedar gave a crooked smile.

"Oh, no, no. I was actually counting on bulbasaur."

"Well then..." Cedar passed the pokeball over to Rose. "This is your new bulbasaur."

Rose gave a wide grin at the sight of the shiny sphere containing her new companion. The ball was heavy, with a polished glassy surface.

"Don't go away yet, you'll need these too." Cedar handed over a pokedex and five empty pokeballs, which were much lighter than the one containing the bulbasaur. "Your trainer license is actually installed on your pokedex. There is a chip on the inside cover that can be scanned should anyone need to confirm that you are a trainer."

Rose was putting her items in her backpack on the table. As she was doing so she was staring at the statue in the middle of the wall. It depicted three strange looking, almost fantastical birds. Professor Cedar's mouth turned into a smile.

"Um..." Rose started to think as she pointed out her finger. "Zapdos... arti... artic..."

"Articuno. And moltres." Cedar completed Rose's sentence. "I have always been fascinated with these birds. They're part of why I decided to become a Professor. They're only cryptids as you'll know, but I have always had a firm belief they exist. There are just too many sightings and too many references from ancient civilisations who had no contact with one another. Back in my trainer days, I journeyed just to find them. But..."

"You didn't find them?"

"No, I didn't." Cedar sighed. She went silent for a moment before perking up again. "You know... if one of my students were to capture even just one bird legendary, that would make my entire life."

"Well... I can't promise anything." Rose admitted.

"Of course. Even experts have tried and failed. Oh, by the way... I was just thinking. Do you have anything to hold your gym badges? You don't want them getting all scratched up now, do you?"

Rose just shook her head.

"What's your favourite colour?" Cedar asked.

"Hm..." Rose thought for a moment. "I don't know. Light blue, I think. Like sky blue."

"I only have ordinary blue, is that okay?" Cedar held up a blue case.

"For me?" Rose asked.

"Of course. Here, take this for when you start getting gym badges." Cedar handed Rose the case.

"Thank you..." Rose tried to sound as grateful as possible for the extra gift.

"Now, you take care, and look after that bulbasaur!" Cedar demanded.

"I will do!" Rose waved as she put on her backpack. "Thank you so much for everything!"

With that, Rose left the lab to find a private space somewhere to meet her new pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @ Beechlgz - Ah, listening to Rose's tune while reading your morning post was wonderful~

Rose got Bulbasaur (male, lv 5) from professor Cedar!
    Rose got a pokédex and five pokéballs!
    Rose got a blue gym badge case!

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Chapter 1 part 2

Rose and bulbasaur

Towards the edge of Pallet Town there was quite a lot of green, empty space. Some of it was abandoned farmland that had not yet become overgrown, but was still shaded by tall hedges and old trees. The sunlight broke through the branches creating a mottled pattern of light and shadow on anything it was cast on.

Rose ran through her mind what she was going to do and say.

"How should I introduce myself so that my new bulbasaur feels comfortable with me? What should I call it? Just 'bulbasaur' seems a bit impersonal. Should I be standing, or sitting down?"

But then she figured that the more she thought about it the more she was just going to stall. Her childish excitement was getting the better of her to the point that she was shivering slightly.

Rose took the pokeball from her cardigan pocket and pressed the button on the front to enlarge it so that it fit on the palm of her hand. Oddly, it seemed to gain weight too. She was no physicist but she knew that extra weight couldn't have come out of nowhere, and had a moment of curiosity over how pokeballs worked.

"Alright, time to come out, bulbasaur!" Rose tossed the ball gently onto the grass, not too far in front of her.

A liquid-like light poured out when the two halves of the capsule parted except at the hinge. It pulled itself together into a form, the shape of a small animal. As the light faded, the bulbasaur was visible. A small frog-shaped reptilian animal with a large head and wide mouth, short triangular ears, short stubby legs and a large deep green bulb on its back. It was a surprising colour for a bulbasaur, though. Rose had expected it to be a turquoise blue colour, with dull green spots. It was actually closer to emerald green, with a slight golden tinge. Its bulb was much darker than expected and its spots more of a brownish green.

This was definitely a shiny.

Rose must have been staring at the bulbasaur a while in shock, because the bulbasaur was staring back expectantly with its mouth ajar, showing its short little fangs lining the corners of its mouth.

"You... you're a shiny!" Rose pointed, dumbfounded.

The bulbasaur staggered back a bit nervously.

"Oh I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to scare you. Here, look. I'm your friend. I'm not going to hurt you."

Rose extended her hand as a gesture of peace. She patiently waited, even though the bulbasaur showed no sign of wanting to approach. Patience was one of the things they taught at the academy, as pokemon are not always trusting at first. Eventually, the bulbasaur approached and sniffed her hand, before touching it briefly with his little pink tongue. Still, Rose didn't move, even though she found the sensation of a wet tongue disgusting. The bulbasaur gave her one more good stare, before smiling and giving out a joyful cry.

"See? You worried about nothing." Rose joked, earning a chuckle from the pokemon. "I'm going to be your trainer from now on, but I can't go on calling you bulbasaur. You need a name. How about..."

Just at that moment the bulbasaur started wandering around, sniffing at the grass. It seemed he had caught a scent. When he found what he was looking for - a wild tulip - he promptly bit its head off and gulped it down.

"Oh. A vegetarian. Well that's nice. Hm. Tulip is a nice name. How about Tulip? Oh, Tulip!"

The bulbasaur seemed disinterested at first in the chosen name, but responded to the last call by raising his head. Rose decided to try again.

"C'mere Tulip!"

The bulbasaur approached slowly, but with a smile. That was it. He was responding to Tulip, so that's what it would stay as.

"Are you ready to go on a journey with me, Tulip?" Rose asked, trying not to sound forceful.

Tulip nodded his head, confirming to Rose that he understood human speech to an extent. When he saw Rose picking up his pokeball, his smile turned upside down in disappointment - but she was only putting it in her pocket for safe keeping.

"You didn't think I was going to put you away so soon did you? Come and walk with me, I'm sure we'll have a nice day together!"

As Rose started walking she watched Tulip follow her from behind, bounding forward hyperactively with his mouth wide open and eyes bright with enthusiasm. It seemed that Tulip was just as excited as Rose was to go on an adventure. So far, so good.

Back