• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mad as a Hatter!

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
Years
Riight. Somehow, I've been roped into an Alice in Wonderland performance. My task? Write a poem that can go on the handouts. I've wrote one, but I want some feedback before I submit it. Be as harsh as you like *puts her big girl face on* I can take it.

Run past the cat with the grin growing wider and wider
And past the white queen growing nicer and nicer
Past the rabbit growing whiter and whiter
And past the hare with the teeth growing larger and larger
Under the beast growing stranger and stranger
Head heavenwards so you're not any later
Run past the queen or your neck shall shatter
And past the twins growing fatter and fatter
The thicker the batter the better the platter
Hold the cup with your personal tatter
Don't lose the paper that conceals the patter
Be prepared to quiet the chatter
Clap your hands, clip clop clatter
And when it comes to the latter
You simply mumble the matter
But it's okay - you're just mad as a hatter.

Last edited:

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2021
Yeah, Alice in Wonderland is a great story. Likewise this poem.
I found it clever on using practically every -atter rhyme.
The rhythm is a little imbalanced, but still good.
I believe this should be good for your performance.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
Years
Oookay. Taking comments into consideration, I have had another go. Changing a few things here and there.

Run past the grin growing wider and wider
Past the white queen growing nicer and nicer
Past the rabbit growing whiter and whiter
Under the beast growing stranger and stranger
Head leftwards so you're not any later
Run past the queen lest your neck shatter
And past the twins growing fatter and fatter
The thicker the batter the better the platter
Hold the cup with your personal tatter
Don't lose the paper conclealing patter
Be prepared to quiet the chatter
Clap your hands and hear the clatter
And when it comes to the splatter
You simply mumble the matter
But it's okay - you're mad as a hatter.​

Azurne

The Local Trickster
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2011
I like this newer version a lot better than the old one. I think the only thing that sticks out to me as being iffy is your usage of the word "shatter" when referring to someone's head being cut off. When something shatters I envision it busting into pieces and someone's neck busting into pieces... doesn't sound like it's being cut off. A bone in your neck can shatter, but when the line refers to the neck as a whole it just doesn't fit.

For the most part though it sounds very good. It starts to make less and less sense as it goes on and that's pretty good for Wonderland standards. Just see if you can rework that sentence with necks shattering. If I think of something that could replace it I'll post a suggestion, but for now that's all I have. :3

Bay

Years
Yay, Alice in Wonderland! :D This is actually a neat idea here you got there. The imagery is weird, but dang it it fits Wonderland well! XD

I too love the new version better than the old version. I was reading both versions aloud and the rhythm in the second version flows much better and quicker. When reading the first version, some lines dragged on a little bit to me. Also, the word usage is much better in the second version too.

Back