• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Mudkip Wonders [Chapter 1]

Mudkiip

i l u v m u d k i p < 3
Years
Sorry for the bad english.

"Where am I," said Mudkip. Mudkip meandered around, and noticed he was at a beach with no attraction what's so ever. "I'm pretty sure I was some where else. I'm positive!" thought Mudkip. As he kept moving west, he spotted someone wondering around the beach also. Mudkip dashed towards him until he saw a better view of this someone. That someone was a Pikachu. "Sir or mam!" said Mudkip out of breath. "Do you know where we are?" Pikachu laughed like Mudkip asked a silly question. "Well, you're at the coast of Lilycove City," said Pikachu. Mudkip asked, "Do you know how I got here?" Pikachu replied, "Hah! I don't know, you were sleep walking?" Mudkip was confused. He try to remember what happened yesterday, but he got no flashbacks of yesterday. He was scared and quicky asked Pikachu, "Do you know where's LittleRoot Town is?" Pikachu had a confused look on his face. "LittleRoot Town. Man that's a long way from here, and also dangerous. How do you even got here dude!?" asked Pikachu. "Don't really know to be honest," said Mudkip. "Well, I have to go, Pikachu." Pikachu replied, "Pikachu? My name is Conor." Mudkip was confused, but he ignored it and started his journey to LittleRoot Town.

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
As I switch from one theme from the other I found a theme that will let me read this without giving me a major headache. I kind of laugh in a kind way because I know a FanFiction.net author who does the same thing as you. (Grammar and Spelling wise, but he can spin a good tale). I caught a few spelling and grammar mistake, but there might be more because I was never that great at spotting mistakes in grammar or spelling. (I'm only average at best.)

Spelling and Grammar:
Wondering - > Wandering
What's so ever -> What-so-ever (I am pretty sure it is hyphenated but you should check with someone who is better at the grammar and spelling than I am.)
"Do you know where's LittleRoot Town is?" - > "Do you know where Littleroot Town is?"
"... How do you even got here dude!?" - > "How did you even get here dude?"

There are a few more I caught, but I think you can find them for yourself. Your English isn't that bad (Information from JXV) for not being your first language. (I was a lot worse when I began learning English.)

I recommend not writing it in a big wall of text. When a new person is talking then move it to the next line or two. I recommend moving the "thoughts" in the same way. (Pet-peeve of mine, but not entirely sure if it is grammatically correct.)

"Sir or mam!" said Mudkip out of breath. "Do you know where we are?" Pikachu laughed like Mudkip asked a silly question. "Well, you're at the coast of Lilycove City," said Pikachu. Mudkip asked, "Do you know how I got here?"

To:

"Sir or mam!" said Mudkip, out of breath, "Do you know where we are?"

Pikacu laughed like Mudkip asked a silly question, "Well you're at the coast of Lilycoe City"

"Do you know how I got here?" Mudkip asked.

(And so on.)

Since this seems like the Pokemon are the actual characters then I recommend that the Pokemon are given names. I find it unrealistic if Pokemon were referred to their species name all the time. (Especially if they are wild Pokemon.) It is somewhat of the equivalent by calling a baby: "Human baby boy/girl."

I would have liked to have seen some detail in a few places because that would have brought out the "setting" of the first chapter. From looking at what you have so far I don't see much of a plot going on. I believe it is because of the lack of content in this. Lily makes a good point on using a word processing document like Microsoft Word or anything similar to it.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'm not even going through the effort of trying to read this. Already just by glancing at it, this can drive readers away in a heartbeat. The text itself is distracting because of the color. Don't ever make the text any other color besides black because it is ridiculously distracting and takes a number on other people's eyes.

Tip for clarification: Don't ever recommend someone to use any other color besides the default color. The reason why I say this is switch to Johto Elite. Notice the dark background? Imagine what would happen if you wrote black text on that. As someone who always had to highlight or switch my styles in order to read a fic, let me just say that it's pretty much the same effect as trying to read a fic with bright blue font on a light background. The amount of squinting you'd have to do with black text is painful, especially if you're hungover.

Another tip for clarification: Saying "I'm not even going through the effort of trying to read this" to a first-time poster whose first language isn't English (or, well, to anyone really) is a terrible way to review. Just saying. Do unto others and all that jazz, y'know?

Another tip for clarification: If you're going to review critically, you might as well back up your points with why. Example:

To Mudkiip. Hey. 'Sup? Let me tell you about paragraphs in case you're not aware of them in this language.

Paragraphs are a way of separating out information. Now, before I go any further, do you notice how every so often, I put a blank line of space between things that I say? That's how paragraphs are shown online. It helps the reader to keep their place, and it breaks up information into easily digestible parts. Now, you don't want to put blank lines between everything. Paragraphs are started basically when you start talking about a new topic or when a speaker changes. For example, if you've been talking about types of buttons but then start talking about the history of buttons, you'll want a new paragraph to contain the history stuff. Meanwhile, if you're showing us a line about Mary expressing her love for buttons but then Judy pops up and says she likes buttons too, you'll want to put Judy's line in its own paragraph because it's technically a new topic (one about what Judy is saying).

It's all complicated, but the best offer I can give you is to read other people's work in order to figure out what to do from there.

I'd also suggest working with someone who knows the language well. Those are called beta-readers. We've got a sticky in Writer's Lounge that gives you a list of people who might be able to help you. By sending them your work after you proofread it (but before you post it), you can have someone talk you through fixing up all the odd bits of your story, including and especially errors in language and spelling. That way, even though you might not be good at English, you'll have someone who can teach you and help you out.

Beyond that, there's not much I can say about content because it is pretty short, but it looks like you might have an interesting concept here. There's a few things to note, however.

First off, while I don't expect you to describe a Pikachu or a Mudkip (because everyone knows what they are), it's a good idea to start us off with a brief description of this setting and where this character is. As in, if Mudkip woke up on the beach and was startled to realize he didn't recognize it, it's a good idea to mention that before you have him asking about where he was. It's also a good idea to describe the beach before that line because that would probably trigger the question, if that makes sense.

Second, remember to show instead of tell. For example, you mention that Mudkip is scared. That's fine, but it really doesn't help us paint a mental image of what's going on. Instead, maybe have his eyes widen or his heartbeat pound -- something you'd associate with panic going on. By describing to us what Mudkip is like when he's afraid, we'll have an easier time connecting with him because we're imagining exactly what he looks like at that moment.

Beyond that, you leave us wondering why Mudkip is fixated on Littleroot Town, how he got there, and whether or not the Pikachu will be important. None of that is bad. It's actually a good thing to make readers wonder these things, but even with the chapter properly spaced and details filled in, I wonder if you'll have enough to go on here. I feel as if there's not enough information before or after this -- like you could build up to the point where Mudkip wakes up slowly (as in, by describing his surroundings, by having him be groggy at first, something that slows the pace down a little) so that his panic seems even more dramatic. Alternatively, you could keep going with this scene to add what Mudkip is doing after he leaves Pikachu. While chapter length is not the same thing as fic quality, I just feel as if there's something missing here, and I won't be quite sure what until you go on for a bit longer.

Other than that (and the font color -- which, yeah, you'll want to change back to the default), it's really not that terrible for a non-native speaker. Just... really brief.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm guessing from the first line of your post and your given location that English isn't your first language? Forgive me if I assumed wrong.

That said, I will say that your English is actually pretty darn good. You do have some mistakes, mainly in paragraphing. But do please allow me to dance a little bit over the fact that you know how to punctuate dialogue correctly. That made my day, it sure did.

If you want some extra help with your English, ask around for a beta reader. We have a thread for that here, and hopefully someone will take you on to help you. We're a friendly bunch here.

So, paragraphing. You start a new paragraph by hitting the Enter button twice on the forums. Tabbing doesn't work. You create a new paragraph whenever someone new speaks. So...

"Don't really know to be honest," said Mudkip. "Well, I have to go, Pikachu."

Pikachu replied, "Pikachu? My name is Conor."
That's how that works.

I've been ninja'd by a better explanation.

Eh, there are a few other grammar quirks here and there.

How do you even got here dude!?
This should be: "How did you even get here, dude!?"

Well, the story itself. You do need some more narration in there. Why is Mudkip on the road to Littleroot Town? How does he feel when he finds out he's in Lilycove City? Take some time to fill in some holes in the storytelling. You can leave some questions unanswered to entice the reader to continue, but don't confuse them or leave details out. Like the setting and the characters' motivation.

Hope this helps.

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
JX V: You make some good points I admit, but there are two things I have to say. I only glanced at this. I didn't even read any of it. I only saw the scrunched up dialogue. How do you suppose I magically gain the knowledge of knowing that this user's first language is not English? Oh and sorry about recommending black. I am on a theme where the default color is black and the background is bright. (Where a lot of colors just clash)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
How do you suppose I magically gain the knowledge of knowing that this user's first language is not English?

Magical powers of deduction, my dear Watson.

Mudkiip apologizes for "bad English" in the first line of his post. As in, the only line that isn't bright blue. Then, look at his location. It's in another language. Two plus two equals Mudkiip's first language isn't English.

If you don't want to read the bright blue text, that's fine. I get that. Neither did I, really, because I've got terrible eyes and equally bad lighting in this room. However, if you're going to insult a writer by outright saying you're going to be blowing off their hard work. Otherwise, you just don't look all that friendly to the people who hang out here on a regular basis, and we're in sore need of good reviewers.

Last edited:

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
JX V: Then there are people who don't actually look at the side. (Which I didn't.) Anyways I have already typed up a better review that is a little bit nicer.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
JX V: Then there are people who don't actually look to the side. (Which I didn't.) Anyways I have already typed up a better review that is a little bit nicer.

You should have received your first clue with the only non-bright-blue line in the post. I don't normally look either due to the number of gag answers put into that field, but as soon as Mudkiip apologized for his bad English, I knew to take the extra two-second glance that-a-way.

And either way, it's still no excuse for blowing him off. If you want to play with us, play nice, First, because we reviewers have enough of a bad rap from the kids on FFNet.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
"Do you know where's LittleRoot Town is?" - > "Do you know where Little Root Town is?"
I'd just like to correct you here. Littleroot is one word, its Littleroot Town. Not LittleRoot, nor Little Root. n__n

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
You'll also want to be nice because FF&W is always in need of writers posting their stories. If new authors post their stories and are met with reviews that tell them that their stories aren't even worth trying to read, they'll leave. If they leave, then the new members that follow them won't post their stories, and FF&W will become a wasteland.

This problem, however, is rectified by those who review. People post their fics here because the reviewers here are generally pleasant and thorough. That's why FF&W received this extra boost of activity.

Back